My Pond

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Matt (Blue_Blood) suggested I take pics of my pond, so I figured I'd turn it into a thread.

It is a 6'x2'x2' frame with a pond liner in it. Today I build the shelving unit to go above. Previously it had just had boards lying on top of the frame, so you couldn't really access half the pond. I also took some waterproof egg lights I bought at a garden center years ago when they were on sale and hooked it up to some electronics from the inside of a halogen light system I bought at a garage sale for $3. I have included pictures of the pond as well as what it looks like with the lights. It is very much a work in progress, but it currently contains two guppies, a pleco and two columbian shadowfins (at least that's what Matt's store has them labeled as). I don't know what I am going to add to this ragtag bunch, but Buenos Aires tetras are a possibility. Other plans include the addition of a substrate -- probably a while stone to add more contrast (it is now basically a black pit) and reflect more light. I also want to add more plant matter, some hides etc. etc. to make a fairly complex environment. This is not a rushed project, though, and I am still doing a lot of the research.

Cheers,
Dave

Attachments

Mikeymike

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
That looks like its coming along nicely! I especially like the look at night.

I recommend just buying good ol' white playsand, although you may need to buy quite a bit if u want to be able to see it at the bottom.

Good luck, and it looks great!

Mikey

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
One product you might want to consider as a substrate is Shultz's Aquatic Plant Soil. Essencially, this stuff is fired and granulated clay. It has the consistancy of fine gravel, but it's not rounded. I think it's the same clay that is used for kitty litter, only it's fired so it dosen't disolve the way kitty litter would. I use this in many tanks and it works great. Many houseplants willl grow quite well planted in the water directly in this stuff. It's a light tan color. It is small enough to be sucked into many pumps, however.

Wade

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Wade,

I have a really good prefilter on my pump, but it could be an issue during water changes. I will do some lookup on it, though.

Cheers,
Dave

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've also used it as an additive to scorpion substrate for desert species. Has the same effect as fine gravel, but is much lighter.

Wade

Zoo Keeper

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Good luck with the new pond, we have a small pond in the yard, and it is great. One thing I have found out is, it can get expencive if you buy your supplies from a garden or pet store. Here is a link to a store that seems to have fair prices, www.thatpetplace.com . Hope everything work's out on your new project.

Blue_Blood

Arachnopeon
skinheaddave said:
Matt (Blue_Blood) suggested I take pics of my pond, so I figured I'd turn it into a thread.
Dave
Looks sweet dave I have to come by and take a look. Oh yeah since "my store" was labeling the fish as "colombian shadowfins" hers the real name.
Arius seemani that's right there it is.....the latin name...just for you david ;P
oh yeah this is for good measure....

size: 12-14 + inches (30-35cm)
tank: 48 inches minimum for young
strata: Lower to middle
pH: 6.8 to 8.0
Hardness: medium hard to hard, 8-30 dH
temperature: 75ºF to 80ºF (25-27°C)

and this...
Order: Siluriformes
Suborder: Siluroidei
Family: Ariidae
Genera: Arius
Species: seemani

booyah Dave...or should I say ............................ZING!!!!!

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Sweet. Thanks, Matt. I will say they are one kick-ass fish. I have yet to see them do the belly-expanding devour everything trick -- but they seem to be doing okay. I got some stone today that I like so I will be rinsing it and adding it in tommorow if I have time (did some trades today, have some new scorpions to house as well).

Cheers,
Dave