My new T is dead.

Chicken Farmer

Arachnosquire
Well, I went to petco and there was an avic.... It looked good was running around trying to escape.
I decided to get it.

The enclosure, a critter keeper standing up, with some fake flowers, dry Eco earth, and a milk cap for water. I misted the side for humidity.

It was moving around when I got home and was putting the enclosure together. I lifted it carefully out of the betta cup with the dirt it was sitting on. After it was in I just left it alone in a dimmed light room. Went to check this morning. It moved and inch and it's toes were under it. The death curl I guess. I put a towel over it incase it was still alive so there wasn't light. So far nothing. I touched it but nothing. I think it's gone. I will wait and see, and if nothing it goes back tomorrow.

I can't tell read hom big it is, but I'm going to say, the size of a half dollar coin.

My first avic dead I think......

MissChelly

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
On the small off chance it isn't quite dead yet, put it into ICU. I've heard of some Ts displaying the death curl, put into ICU, and actually surviving. If it doesn't live past that, or is just flat out gone, at least you know you tried!

MissChelly

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
You get a deli cup with air holes in it (If yours came inside one, use that one. Most Ts come in one when you buy them.), put a liberally damp, warm paper towel in it (it's meant to be VERY damp to keep humidity high and help prevent dehydration) though, not damp enough to have excess water in the cup at all. Also, leave a small water dish in there as well. Put the T in there for a good 24 hours and see if it shows any sign of life. If it's possible it's hungry, try placing a dubia roach in there without it's legs, so as to not stress the T with a roach moving around everywhere in the cup while the T's in such a vulnerable state. I wouldn't recommend immediately putting food in there however. If the ICU cup doesn't work, then like said, at least you know you tried. Good luck!

Here's a video on Youtube for how to make one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iqJ_dJsDR4

paassatt

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
It's best not to throw out the spider until it starts to smell. That's when you'll know for sure it has died.

goodoldneon

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Check for tibal hooks and/or boxing glove-like pedipals - could have been a mature male. Also, if it was a recent purchase, I would contact Petco for a refund (you'll probably need the, er, corpse).

Chicken Farmer

Arachnosquire
it is to small to be mature. but what do the tibial hooks look like?

i think it died from stress.

i just bought it yesterday evening and found it dead this morning. i decided to pick it up and something oozed from the butt, so i think its dead.

can preserve it by freezing? i can't get to the petstore for a few days to a week so i need to keep it in good condition to get the refund.

rockrox1

Arachnosquire
one of my recently purchased avic.purpurea is also in a death curl a day after i have transferred it in its container... i just increased the humidity in its container and left it undisturbed and hope for the best. after two days, it seems to move around a bit livelier. but it your t is oozing from the butt... that's a different matter all together.

SC Tarantulas

Arachnoknight
Check for tibal hooks and/or boxing glove-like pedipals - could have been a mature male.
Please read the post before commenting. He clearly states that the T is
the size of a half dollar coin.
i just bought it yesterday evening and found it dead this morning. i decided to pick it up and something oozed from the butt, so i think its dead.
I think it gone if its abdomen has ruptured. Sorry about the T but you may want to check the paperwork on that return to Petco. I think they have a 7 day return policy. I am not 100% sure on that. In the future you should purchase all your T's from breeders or from the boards. Most of these people take very good care of there T's so you know your getting a healthy animal.

MissChelly

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Oh no, the abdomen was ruptured? :( It could've injured itself or the pet store handler could've even accidentally done it. Unfortunately, with that knowledge it probably is gone. Not to sound cold, though I'd call the pet store and ask for a refund. Sorry for such a quick loss. :(

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

Projecht13

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
dang ruptured abdomen is a bad thing to deal with. If you dont catch it and patch it up immediately its a death sentence.. Sorry for your loss.

Tweak

Arachnosquire
I would advise anyone to steer clear of petco when it comes to buying tarantulas. The petco by me has a Rose Hair in a divided tank with geckos with the humidity at only 40%!

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Who said the abdomen is ruptured... im not sayin the avic has a good chance, but chicken farmer COULD BE seeing poo.. avics are known for flingin it.. id stick with the icu until it proves pointless... death curl doesnt always mean its dead...

Chicken Farmer

Arachnosquire
The abdomen was not ruptured. I think because it was dead it had feeces I saw.

Would freezing it preserve it til I get back to the store?

BorisTheSpider

No this is Patrick
Old Timer
Don't bother freezing it . Just take it back as soon as you can . If you bought yesterday and it's dead today then they owe you a new T , or better yet get your money back . Stay away from the big chain stores when it comes to exotics . They are here to sell high end dog and cat food and maybe a few fish . Mostly they have very high prices and not much knowledge .

scorpionguy77

Arachnopeon
I haven't bought a T from Petco but I have bought all my Emperor Scorpions from there, as well as a few fish for my kids. The scorpions had a 15 day return policy, I can't imagine the tarantula would be any different. I am surprised you said you found an avic there, I have never known a big name pet store to carry any spiders outside your basic rose hair. Hell, the Pet Smarts around here don't carry any inverts at all.

cmcghee358

Arachnoknight
I would advise anyone to steer clear of petco when it comes to buying tarantulas. The petco by me has a Rose Hair in a divided tank with geckos with the humidity at only 40%!
Uh "at only 40%" implies it is too low...

40% is fine for a Rosie.

Chicken Farmer

Arachnosquire
It was the only petco that carries avic's and rosies.

I will just take it back and use the money for slings!

What icwant to get is,

Obt
LP
And an avic avic.

BenjaminBoa

Arachnosquire
PetCo should replace your T, they have an 18 day guarantee on animals except salt water fish. I'd also ask them if they recently treated the store or any animals for mites, most of the medications they use for mites can injure or kill tarantulas if it gets on them or gets ingested. That's one of the dangers of feeding vertebrates too, sometimes rodents can still have the meds on them even if they're frozen thawed.