my new rosie Athena is a digging machine!

Mcskillz

Arachnopeon
I'm so surprised that many people say that Rosies are dull and boring creatures that spend most of their time sitting on a log. Mine will come out of its hiding pot everyday and start digging away at 9:00am and pick up dirt with its mandibles and start covering burrows and digging up new burrows. It has so far made 10 different crater-like regions and likes to put dirt in its water dish and dig under and around the dish. I actually find it rather fascinating.. the only thing I haven't seen yet is any webbing..... Athena doesn't web at all so I find it a little odd, oh well. Here's a pic of my Athena digging away with it's rear end sticking up in the air!:clap: :clap:

Attachments

julesaussies

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Very cool!

Yeah, come to think of it all four of my big G. rosea's dig quite a bit! i love watching my T's!

PhilK

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Sounds to me like it is having trouble finding the right conditions to make a permanent burrow...

elyanalyous

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
G.rosea will go through stages where they will dig, and then dig somewhere else...

Mine does.

Truff135

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I don't know if rosea's are really burrowers...I'm pretty sure they're mostly just ground-dwelling and will utilize a hide if provided. In my opinion, she just likes to redecorate. My two a.seemani's do that. They both have hides to use and plenty of sub to burrow if they wish. They use the hide and the extra dirt?: it gets scattered all over the place (especially into the water dish). I even put in some nice silk plant leaves. They drug those everywhere. Looks like a mini war-zone. I think some tarantulas just have fun shoveling dirt about. :D

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
If you bought her as wild caught, and hasn't moulted, she very well may be gravid. My WC rosey started digging and then laid an egg sack.

Good luck !

Mcskillz

Arachnopeon
oh man don't scare me! I just got her a few weeks ago and this is my first T. I don't want an egg sac because I wouldn't know what to do with the spiders and I dont want 200 of them all over my room.

elyanalyous

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
simple, if she does lay one, freeze it if you are not ready to be a mother yet