My new pet texas unicorn mantis doesn't seem interested in food...

Gr8Reptile

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ok I own a texas unicorn mantis. On the rather young side only one or to CM barely an inch and it hasn't taken interest in any food. I just threw in a cricket about a half hour ago and it doesn't even seem to notice it. Is this normal texas unicorn mantis behavior? Cause my spiney flower mantis acts extremely aggressive and he is a full grown male. (That means he should be eating less then a baby uni right?) Oh and I heard texas uni's do not require much humidity as other species of mantids, is this true?

Bugs In Cyberspace

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
In my experience the Texas Unicorns need as much humidity as other mantids. They're very leggy and sometimes have a little trouble with the back pair of legs.

They're also seem to have less appetite and aggression than most other mantis species. Even flying prey are often uninteresting.

It may be that your mantis is getting ready to molt. I recommend pulling feeders out of mantis containers if they aren't eaten within the first half our or so. Having the right sized container is sometimes a factor, but if the cricket comes within arms reach of the mantis and isn't attacked it's probably time to pull the cricket.

Sometimes mantises that are near a molt will bat at a feeder insect a few times. It may look like they're trying to catch the feeder, but they're just wanting to scare it away (sometimes they use that sharp spike on the forearm to kill they feeder and leave it uneaten).

Gr8Reptile

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
So I have a netted plastic top should I switch that out for solid plast with like a couple air holes poked in or is air circulation really important?
Oh and the cage I have might be a little to tall. I have a cage that is about twice his hight and three times his length across should I use that?

Eclipse

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My TX unicorns never had a problem with humidity though they do need a drink. If it doesn't show intrest in food, spray some water and wait. It is most likely going to molt.

Gr8Reptile

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
UMM,..... Ok here is the problem now. since he didn't wanna eat I took out the cricket for two days then threw it back in and luckily for me he started molting! :O I do not think the cricket can reach him. But I can't get at the cricket with the tweezers without disturbing the mantis. (Who is all the way out of his shedded shell btw.) WHAT DO I DO! (Urgent!)
P.S. How long does it take for their molt/shed to be complete?