My new pet snake

dwdeloach

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Unfortunately my local pet shop went out of business. The good news is I think I got a good deal on a Brazilian Rainbow Boa. :D After I got him home, he decided to give me a not so warm welcome. :( I guess a little more handling and he will calm down. I got the boa, cage, heat pad, bowl, driftwood, and 20lbs. of substrate for $115. They also threw in a couple of toys for my son.

The boa is about 38" in length. I am keeping him at 80 - 90% humidity; Temps are from 76-85 degrees Fahrenheit. This is not my first snake, but any other suggestions are welcome. Say hello to my little friend.

mebebraz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I would have snagged that up in a heartbeat too...
As far as humidity and temps, Ive never had a problem keeping them at room temps and a big water bowl to lounge in if it wanted too.

dwdeloach

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The bites keep on coming!!!

Well, I have now been bitten four times. This boa doesn't mind me reaching in the cage to get him out. He doesn't seem to mind handling at first. After about 10-15 minutes he turns around and bites the first body part he can find. What's up with that???

I know they can be nippy as babies. Does this species calm down once they get bigger or do I get to look forward to bigger and badder bites? The bites don't hurt at all right now, I suspect they will later on though.

Elmolax

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Braz/Colum Raibows are among my all time favorite snkaes. Grats on the deal!
I'm planning on snagging me a colum for 140$ =\
Or maybe cheaper... 2 pet stores have opened, not even 100 yards away from each other with rainbows for 140$ each so... Someone may lower =D

lol did the bites hurt?

dwdeloach

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Elmolax said:
lol did the bites hurt?

Not all all. The teeth are so sharp you don't feel it. You just see a little blood from the punctures afterwards. I am sure it will feel worse if he doesn't calm down and gets bigger.

GootySapphire

Arachnolord
Old Timer
dwdeloach said:
Well, I have now been bitten four times. This boa doesn't mind me reaching in the cage to get him out. He doesn't seem to mind handling at first. After about 10-15 minutes he turns around and bites the first body part he can find. What's up with that???

I know they can be nippy as babies. Does this species calm down once they get bigger or do I get to look forward to bigger and badder bites? The bites don't hurt at all right now, I suspect they will later on though.

Everything I have read says that CB, BRB's are easy to handling with time...they tame pretty easy apparently. Beautiful snakes....I am not a fan of the lighter colored BRB I love the blood red ones. I went to a Reptile Expo hoping to wheel and deal for some low prices, since I work at a pet store and all....and they wouldnt budge on their prices....their BRB's werent even that beautifully colored...all were pale. They wanted 150-170 for them each.

Kid Dragon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
brb's are not the best snake species to handle unless you really don't mind bleeding. They are more of a display species in my opinion.

There are always individual exceptions, but in general they are nippy. (I avoided the terms aggresive/defensive on purpose to avoid the 100 post debate on aggresive vs. defensive behavior). ;)

Even the redtails, which in general can be a calmer boa species to handle, can get nippy with age.

In my opinion the two species that calm the best over time are ball pythons and red ratsnakes. However, I've been bitten by both of these species a few times in my life. :eek:

GootySapphire

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Kid Dragon said:
brb's are not the best snake species to handle unless you really don't mind bleeding. They are more of a display species in my opinion.

There are always individual exceptions, but in general they are nippy. (I avoided the terms aggresive/defensive on purpose to avoid the 100 post debate on aggresive vs. defensive behavior). ;)

Even the redtails, which in general can be a calmer boa species to handle, can get nippy with age.

In my opinion the two species that calm the best over time are ball pythons and red ratsnakes. However, I've been bitten by both of these species a few times in my life. :eek:

I have yet to see an aggressive BRB.

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
I have seen a fair number of BRBs that have maintained their edge, even with handling. They tend to be as you have described -- not necessarily that defensive, but not to be trusted 100% either. Ours you can pick up and handle safetly most of the time, but occasionaly they will reach out and touch someone.

Cheers,
Dave

dwdeloach

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
skinheaddave said:
I have seen a fair number of BRBs that have maintained their edge, even with handling. They tend to be as you have described -- not necessarily that defensive, but not to be trusted 100% either. Ours you can pick up and handle safetly most of the time, but occasionaly they will reach out and touch someone.

Cheers,
Dave

I am aware of the feeding and/or defensive striking by snakes. Is there any thing in particular you have noticed that tends to cause your BRB to strike?

For example, I noticed if my BRB is in the motion of slithering away on the floor and I attempt to pick him up, that usually results in a strike. If your hand brushes him backwards, a strike will come.

I am getting better at predicting the strikes and he is missing more often. Is your BRB an adult? How much worse are the bites from an adult?

Overall, I am really glad I got my BRB. I think he is a beautiful snake and the price was good too.