My new Lasiodora Parahybana

Parahybana3590

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi all, yesterday I bought my first Tarantula, a lasiodora parahybana (F). What I want to know is if there is any use in trying to handle it while it is young to make it more tolerable to other people or should it be a display tarantula?

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
From what I hear, handling is fairly irrelevant. I recall one account specifically where a fellow handled his para frequently with no difficulty until it hit around the 2" mark, at which point it started developing the attitude that most of the species has. They aren't like vertebrates (like my ball python) which will remember you and react accordingly, as I understand it.

Unless you luck out and end up with one of the rare mellow individuals (they do exist!), you should probably not handle it unnecessarily. This goes for most spiders, even docile ones. It's stressful for most, and there's always a tremendous risk of an accident, fall, or getting startled and hairing/biting someone.

I vote display. The species is great for that, I'm told, since they hardly ever bother to hide once they get out of the nervous spiderling stage. And they're huge and gorgeous. :)

bugs4life

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Sorry, but have you done ANY research before you decided to go out and get an L. Parahybana for a FIRST tarantula???
Sorry, but I just have to point out that that's a poor move. I'm still new to T's, just got my 6th and 7th this weekend and I'm still far from getting something such as an L. Parahybana. Definitely not a beginner spider.
I also only handle my T's when it's absolutely necessary. They really don't like to be handled, and you cannot get a spider accustomed to being held, they're not domesticated pets. I know there are a few T's out there that will walk up to your hand when you change the water or something, but never count on it.

Parahybana3590

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I knew that males were agressive beasts that would likely eat my face off, I also knew that females were more tolerable than males which is why I bought a female. Also from what I understand, their bite is no worse than a bee sting. Its not like I'm dealing with a P. regalis.

Dave C

Arachnopeon
I would never handle a para above 3 inch. They're known for aggressive temper,but u never know,u might have one thats chilled out
Good luck with it!

Parahybana3590

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It seems fairly easy going, the only time it struck at me was after I moved it into a bigger container, and I should have known it needed time to get used to its new surroundings, but it just bumped me, its fangs werent out.

bugs4life

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I know hardly anyone dies of a T bite, usually only if they're already sick or whatever.
But I'm not concerned for your health, I'm more concerned with the tarantula that has an inexperienced owner.

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
bugs4life said:
Sorry, but have you done ANY research before you decided to go out and get an L. Parahybana for a FIRST tarantula???
Sorry, but I just have to point out that that's a poor move. I'm still new to T's, just got my 6th and 7th this weekend and I'm still far from getting something such as an L. Parahybana. Definitely not a beginner spider.
I don't think they're such a bad choice for a beginner. If you want a potentially large T which grows fast then parahybana is the best choice. Far better than T.blondi and G.aureostriata takes ages to grow.

Parahybanas arn't that aggro, rather than that they're very eager to attack anything that's arround them because it could be food. If you know that it isn't hard to avoid getting too close during maintenance.

bonesmama

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Mine (L.para.) would rather retreat than attack-unless I go near her burrow. The fear of a bite isn't for OUR safety, but rather the T's-you could fling it into the wall and injure or kill it, just from (involantary) reaction to the bite. Most of my T's are display, and with those I do handle,I handle rarely- and I leave them alone if they seem especially adverse to being touched on that day.

stooka

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i have a very large adult female L.parahybana that ive had for 6yrs and cant think of once wen she has even gone into threat mode.shes very mellow,but i still would never think bout holding her.i dont hold my Ts as i like to see them naturally as possible.imo this isnt a real bad 1st T in some respects as long as u give it loads of RESPECT.if u respect them u will be alot safer,ive got 25 Ts and been keeping them 8yrs and never come close to a bite.just be careful wiv ure L.parahybana

Parahybana3590

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
stooka said:
.just be careful wiv ure L.parahybana
Being careful wont be an issue, I see what you all are saying and I appreciate all the advice and I probably wont handle her, especialy because I dont want to hurt her.

Last edited:

Parahybana3590

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I also bought a Brazilian Black and White which is quite easy to take care of because it is about the size of a dime right now, I am very excited to see it as its colors develop!

Last edited:

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
i held my Lp once or twice while it was small...i'll have to agree, once mine hit 2" it started getting an attitude. now i won't put my hand below the rim of the tank...i'm already missing one finger, that's enough :D

Cory Loomis

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
L. parahybana and A. geniculata are both awesome tarantulas. They are hardy; they grow big; they are aggressive feeders; and they stay out and ready to take whatever walks by. I think they are great tarantulas to begin with as long as you know what to expect. Use the search option. Read lots of stuff. I have multiples of both, and I certainly would NOT try to handle either one.

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have an A. geniculata, and it was not my first spider. It is however, my first aggressive spider. Mine is 2 1/2 inches and does not seem interested in threatening me. If I am messing around in his house he will turn and get ready to kick hairs at me, but he hasn't actually kicked, or charged me. I don't and won't hold him for two reasons.
1. He is faster then I am.
2. I don't want him to be hurt, either by a fall, or me loosing him.

Parahybana3590

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My L.Parahybana isn't that agressive, it's abit fidgety, but it gives off warning signs usually.

stonemantis

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
L. parahybana is very good choice for any experience level.

1: They grow to be 10"+ (personally I haven't seen any bigger than 9.5")
2: They grow fast reaching 5"+ in the first year of life.
3: They are great feeders.
4: They are semi-agressive and rather flick hair than bite.
5: Not as moisture sensitive as some Ts.

A. geniculata is another good choice but they are a little more aggressive.

1: They grow to be 8"+ (8.5" is the biggest I've seen)
2: They grow fast for their genus reaching 3"+ in the first year of life.
3: They are great feeders.
4: They are semi-aggressive are a bit skittish.
5: Not as moisture sensitive as most Ts.

This is just my experience from the mentioned species above. Any of them would make a great addition to any collection.

LukeC

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
bugs4life said:
I also only handle my T's when it's absolutely necessary. They really don't like to be handled, and you cannot get a spider accustomed to being held, they're not domesticated pets. I know there are a few T's out there that will walk up to your hand when you change the water or something, but never count on it.
I got my L. Parahybana for my second T, had it from a sling, now its about 5". I think their alright if you leave them alone, their not one for being handle, more of a display T (which their quite good at, mine dosent even move when I change the water).

Fille

Arachnopeon
Lasiodora's are great T's. Just know what to expect and act accordingly and there should be no problem. They are not hand pets per definition, but it strongly depends on the T's personality. This is a pretty general rule for all T's though. You won't regret getting that parahybana, believe me.