My new L. mactans had it's legs hurt and is barely moving!! Please help!

satanslilhelper

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
A friend found me one and he accidentally hurt it's legs while capturing it. It's barely moving and that's only when I touch it. I've put her into a tilted cup w/water like I would a SEVERELY dehydrated T. I figure since they don't have book lungs it should be o.k..

If anyone has any advice please let me have it!!

What

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Latros really do *not* do well when their legs get messed up... especially if it is more than 2 on each side that are damaged... And they *do* have book lungs...how do you think they breathe if not through them?

Just euthanize it and find another, it isnt as if Latrodectus are hard to find...

satanslilhelper

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
It was more than two legs that were hurt. It passed away last night. Your right they're easy to find, but I've lived in Alabama my whole life(28 yrs.) and never seen one except at the Natural History Museum until yesterday. So, sure they're easy to find alright.

I was thinking they don't have booklungs b/c of what I was told by a dealer of Huntsman spiders. I wouldn't doubt that he didn't know what he was talking about.

The guy that found this for me said he has another in his yard which I will go myself to get seeing as I'm not as frightened by them as he is. I should be able to get it into a plastic cup without hurting it.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Usually wherever you find one there are dozens, even hundreds more. Good hunting, sorry about the first one.

satanslilhelper

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Usually wherever you find one there are dozens, even hundreds more. Good hunting, sorry about the first one.
Sounds good!! Yeah, I was real excited yesterday about finally getting one. She was big, gravid beauty.

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
down in AL you should be able to find both mactans and variolus. and there should be plenty of them around ;)