My new Jerusalem crickets!

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
You guys have seen Ripper, my biggest JC, so I won't post a picture of her.

Gap
JCGap#1.JPG

Jiminy
JCJimminy#1.JPG

Fingers crossed I'll be able to breed these guys! (In a year or two when they mature).

DETHCHEEZ

Arachnosquire
You Named Them???
LOL / JK

They're Looking Fat & Happy

Best Of Luck With You Breeding Project

Last edited:

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Two inverts in the hobby I don't understand not being so popular, Jerusalem cricket and vinegaroons.

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
You Named Them???
LOL / JK

They're Looking Fat & Happy

Best Of Luck With You Breeding Project
It's easier to keep track of their growth if I name them, and instead of saying "oh look, number 6 molted", I can say "oh look, Hopper molted". Plus they're gonna be around a while, so why not name them, lol! :p Yeah, hopper was on the skinny side when he got here, but once I put him in his cage he ate a whole piece of cat food! I plan on feeding them some live food this week. Thanks, I really hope I can breed them too! :D

---------- Post added 11-05-2015 at 11:10 AM ----------

Two inverts in the hobby I don't understand not being so popular, Jerusalem cricket and vinegaroons.
I know right? I would love to have some vinegaroons, they look so interesting! And I'm surprised more people don't keep JCs, they are found in many states, so lots of people can just catch them themselves, and they are a blast to keep!

Last edited:

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Here is a little update on these guys. So far they are all doing well, and they are all slowly growing. Two of my females, Ripper and Swirl, are huge, Swirl in particular!

Here are some pictures of them!

Ripper:

Swirl:

Tenevanica

Arachnodemon
Those are very peculiar markings on swirl. I wonder if those are heritable. It'd be cool to have a Stenopelmatus sp. "swirl" culture.

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Those are very peculiar markings on swirl. I wonder if those are heritable. It'd be cool to have a Stenopelmatus sp. "swirl" culture.
Yeah, she's pretty! It sure would be cool, if I'm successful in breeding them we will see. :)

jaredc

Arachnosquire
Do you think swirl may have just had a weird molt? Like what happens with roaches and millipedes.

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Do you think swirl may have just had a weird molt? Like what happens with roaches and millipedes.
She has molted many times, the deformation remains. It often happens to roaches and millipedes, I think it is permanent, probably genetic.

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Well, most of these guys are still going strong, though one of them (Mangle), may pass away very soon. Jiminy molted into an adult male, and Swirl just reached maturity a few days ago, so I now have an adult pair! :D I have placed the male's cage within the female's new enclosure to get them more familiarized with each other, (not sure if that makes any sense but I'm doing it anyway), and once the female plumps up a bit I will attempt to mate them, which I may or may not film.

Here are some pictures of Swirl as an adult:

Will let you all know what ends up happening when I mate them, hopefully it will end with both of them alive, or at least with the female alive...

klawfran3

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Well it looks like the actual abdominal segments 3 and 5 are deformed. No amount of molting would fix that. It's probably a genetic mutation of some sort but it could also just be an issue in differentiating when it developed. I'm honestly interested to know if she's fertile or not. Since the abdomen is where most of the vegetative work happens (the thorax is mostly nerve and muscle) it could possibly affect her below the skin. I guess only time will tell when she mates.

Also, may I suggest you keep her body when she passes? An abberation like that is unusual and rare to come by. People at some institutions would probably love to look at her.

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Well it looks like the actual abdominal segments 3 and 5 are deformed. No amount of molting would fix that. It's probably a genetic mutation of some sort but it could also just be an issue in differentiating when it developed. I'm honestly interested to know if she's fertile or not. Since the abdomen is where most of the vegetative work happens (the thorax is mostly nerve and muscle) it could possibly affect her below the skin. I guess only time will tell when she mates.

Also, may I suggest you keep her body when she passes? An abberation like that is unusual and rare to come by. People at some institutions would probably love to look at her.
Actually two of my eight have this deformity, it seems pretty common in Jerusalem crickets. I'm sure she'll be fertile, similar segment deformation occurs in some millipedes and cockroaches, and does not seem to affect overall health nor fertility.

I could try to preserve the body, but like I said this seems to be a common deformity in JCs and they don't preserve well.

klawfran3

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Actually two of my eight have this deformity, it seems pretty common in Jerusalem crickets. I'm sure she'll be fertile, similar segment deformation occurs in some millipedes and cockroaches, and does not seem to affect overall health nor fertility.

I could try to preserve the body, but like I said this seems to be a common deformity in JCs and they don't preserve well.
Huh. That's actually pretty interesting. I wonder if their young will have a higher chance of getting it. Do you have any pictures of the millipedes or roaches with it? I haven't seen it before and I've had a roach colony for years so I am very intrigued.
And sorry about that haha, my focus is mainly on hymenoptera so I don't know too much about crickets.

Maybe just pin it and see how it dries. What's the worst that could happen?

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Huh. That's actually pretty interesting. I wonder if their young will have a higher chance of getting it. Do you have any pictures of the millipedes or roaches with it? I haven't seen it before and I've had a roach colony for years so I am very intrigued.
And sorry about that haha, my focus is mainly on hymenoptera so I don't know too much about crickets.

Maybe just pin it and see how it dries. What's the worst that could happen?
Orin McMonigle has pictures of millipedes with this type of deformation in his book "Millipedes in Captivity", and I believe I saw pictures of Gromphadorhina sp roaches with deformations similar to this on the internet somewhere, I'll try to find them.

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Here we go, here's a hisser with this deformation (not my photo BTW):

Apparently it's not something that would prevent reproduction, however usually these kinds of individuals are fed off.

And here's an image from Orin of a millipede with the deformation:

klawfran3

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Wow! I had no idea about those. And it looks like for this hisser it's every other segment is affected too. I wonder why. Thank you for sharing!

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Well, I put my mature male an female in with each other, and it was a surprisingly uneventful experience. They just ran away from each other whenever they touched. I left them in with each other for three days, and I removed the male yesterday, both he and the female were unharmed. Don't know if they mated with each other when I wasn't looking, I sure hope so. Will try re-introducing him to her next week.