My new Chilean Blue! Help plz?

Duo Majere

Arachnopeon
Hi everyone! After keeping S. japonica in Japan, I recently returned to the states, and decided to get another 'pede! I got a Chilean Blue (Hemiscolopendra chilensis) at the Phoenix Reptile Expo last month. I'm keeping him much the same way I kept S. japonica: Mist him daily, keep the substrate (Eco Earth) moist, and feed crickets. But every time I go looking for more info on these guys online, I find nothing. One guy said to keep them like you would S. polymorpha. When I checked the climate of Chile, trying to find out his natural habitat, I was reminded that Chile runs the entire length of S. America, and has everything from tropical rain forests to deserts... So that didn't help much, as I don't know what part of Chile they come from.

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated! Also, here are some pics:

buddah4207

Arachnoknight
That is a good looking pede! It sound like you have a decent routine. I would assume since they would appreciate the humidity since they dessiccate relatively easy.

Lurchenstien

Arachnosquire
I currently have three H chilensis, all of which are being kept at around 25c, with high humidity, and they seem to be doing ok.

Yours doesn't look quite as blue or dark as mine.

Duo Majere

Arachnopeon
Yeah, he's not quite as blue as some of the other photos I found online of H. chilensis. But these were also taken in poor lighting with my iPhone, so they don't do his true color justice. He is bluer than he appears here. The guy I bought him from also ID'd him as H. chilensis, though that's not always perfectly reliable. When I looked up pics to compare with S. viridis, he looked a lot less like those, and more like a dull H. chilensis. Either way, I just want to make sure I keep him hydrated and happy! ^_^

Thanks for the tips! I just got him some more crickets today, and gave them some spinach and cucumber to munch on until he decides he's hungry. I've only seen him out of the soil once, and he receded immediately when I upped the light's dimmer switch. I guess his photosensitivity is very high. But I like him despite that he hides all day ^^

Lurchenstien

Arachnosquire
My three are rarely seen, that, and that they're eating pre-killed roaches and crickets, I assume they're fine.

Duo Majere

Arachnopeon
Lurchenstien, you feed pre-killed? Is there an advantage to that? Is it bad to have live food in the enclosure with them for any amount of time? I have never thought of pre-killing a cricket before... I suppose you just lop the head off?

Lurchenstien

Arachnosquire
I have been when feeding the 'pedes dubias, and a couple of times with crickets. Most of my 'pedes lose the roaches pretty quick as the roaches seem to play dead when the 'pedes go near them. Also these roaches seem to burrow, I've assumed a 'pede has eaten before, for the roach to randomly surface some time later, so I find it's easier to keep track of what food is in there and what 'pedes are eating if the food is pre-killed. I've just got some Turkistan roaches, which are more lively than the dubia, aren't burrowing so far, so most of the 'pedes now have a live roach in with them. As for killing the feeders, I tend to squash the head and legs and put them in on their back. I've had a couple that have gone in there without the legs being squashed, and they've managed to turn over and hide somewhere.

Duo Majere

Arachnopeon
Oh wow! Great advice, thanks so much! I'll give this a try so I can better keep track of food consumption. ^_^

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Hemiscolopendra chilensis is now Akymnopellis chilensis, fyi ;). At a glance, that looks like what you have. To my eyes, the only centipede that I've seen that is comparable in coloration is what is sometimes referred to as Scolopendra "blue legs" from Africa(I hate that name...it only adds to the confusion), sometimes confused with Ethmotrigonopodus if I recall correctly. Still, the colors can be variable. A. chilensis will have antennae with the first five segments smooth and 19 segments over all. There are other characters for comparison but chilensis will max out around 3.5" body length. ET's are a bit larger and wider as adults and whatever that beast is with the terrible name is larger still. There are a few posts on it from the past here. Pretty animal.

Last edited:

Duo Majere

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the help! I didn't know the name changed. I hope he really is chilensis! I don't want him to get bigger, haha.

I keep counting 22 segments on both my pics, and other online pics of A. chilensis... Am I counting wrong? I counted the head all the way down to the last segment with terminal legs. Do some of those not count?

I found this website with more info than I could find in English! I can't read Spanish, but I could infer some, and it says 21 body segments plus head... I think, haha... Darn foreign languages.
http://www.vivarios.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&catid=41&id=2503&Itemid=73&view=topic

---------- Post added 12-18-2013 at 02:05 PM ----------

Okay! I found a website with a lot of info, and complete care guide about A. chilensis. It was in Spanish, but Google translate gave me the whole website in English. Author is Rubicho, a moderator of Vivarios.com. Here it is via Google translate:

Rating
Class: Quilopoda
Order Scolopendromorpha
Family: Scolopendridae
Species: chilensis
Described: Gervais, 1847
Old name: Hemiscolopendra chilensis

Biotype
They live in hills and wooded areas, where quite high, very common in central Chile moisture. You may find them under rocks, logs or leaf litter.

Appearance
The body is divided into 21 segments, and 1 pair of legs per segment. Exhibits a green oil throughout your body, presenting some yellowish tones legs.

Size
It is the largest "one hundred feet" from Chile, reaching 10-12cm long, but comparison with species from other countries that can reach 30cm in length, is a relatively small species.

Sexual dimorphism
The sexing of specimens is quite complicated, there
very clear parameters that can be seen with the naked eye, besides the genitals are located inside the last segment below the last pair of legs. Usually females are usually larger and more robust and have the last pair of legs slightly longer than males, the differences are based on comparisons, you need male and female for sexing.

Behavior and Handling
For all animals are required to be handled, are very elusive, active and fast. Never be taken by hand, generally are not aggressive, but they neglect can cause an accident for us or for them.
Besides the bite of this species is usually quite painful, but the effects should not go beyond that of a bee sting.
Often over long periods underground, without knowing anything about her.

Food:
They are completely carnivorous animals. It is recommended that the crickets are the staple diet, mostly for their nutritional content, also can offer earwigs, darkling beetles, and other arthropods Zophobas according to the size of our centipede.

Reproduction
It's pretty complicated captive breeding, starting with the difficulty of correctly sexed.
Females lay eggs in clusters of 15 to 30, are wound on them to incubate and monitor until the hatching period and dispersal of offspring. If the female is stressed eat eggs or discarded.

Growth:
Like spiders and scorpions, must change their exoskeleton to grow. Juveniles molt every 3 months, and adult fish 1 or 2 times a year.
No wonder that once shed the exoskeleton that was eaten.

Installation
The terrarium can be glass or plastic. It is very important to eye on the height of the terrarium because if it is not high enough, our Scolopendra could leak any gap or space not close well. They are excellent escape artists.
When species requiring high humidity, the terrarium should have enough ventilation to avoid creating fungi.
Perfectly can be used as a ground sheet substrate. Ideally passed through the microwave to disinfect a little.
We can place a stone to fill as shelter, and should not miss a pocillito with water.

Dimensions
For an adult it is recommended that the height is a little more than twice the length of the centipede. It will be fine with a 25cm tall (about 10cm substrate) x 15cm wide x 15cm long.

Temperature:
In captivity the temperature should ideally be between 20 and 29 ° C. Anyway tamperatura support the environment well.

Humidity / Water
Try to hold moisture over 75%, this will for a well with water, and sprinkle terrarium walls least about 2 times a week. It is very common to see drinking from water droplets left on the walls.

Condition
Unknown.

Conclusion: Extremely quick and cute coloring species. Subadult and adult specimens are easy to maintain, being the somewhat more delicate young. Be seen well within the terrarium and nothing fussy eating.
If you like spiders and scorpions, one chilensis Akymnopellis will not disappoint.

Link (Original Spanish): http://www.vivarios.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&catid=41&id=2503&Itemid=73&view=topic

Last edited: