My LiZaRdS....

Nich

Curator of glass boxes
Old Timer
Theses are my cold blooded beasts...got a new caldonia crested gecko.....a Tokay gecko....and a pic of my female Vieled chameleon with yours truly....I get a nice mini crocadile hunter rush when i handle the Tokay.... :D

Attachments

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
Nich,
I wanted to ask you about the crested geckos...I saw them for the first time this weekend at a pet expo. The guy selling them said they need no UV, they can stay at room temp, and are very docile. Much easier than leos, or tokays, from what he said...
Can you verify this, or is he full of it? I was very tempted to bring one home!

Nich

Curator of glass boxes
Old Timer
from my understanding they are nocturnal so mine dosent get any thing but the room light and a blue zoo-med night light. I hold mine all the time and they are ket on the cooler side, no basking or anything.......they are jumpy but not fast and will chill in your hand. They are very docile, a little pricy but i like them and think they are worth it. The humidity is a lil higher than most nd i have kept mine for years with two mistings a day (a very heavy one at night) But they are very docile and def kept room temp....not sure bout absolutley no uv but very very minimal. So he wasnt bs'n.....good critters!

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
thanks Nich. I will definately look into them at some point in the future...they are just too cool! I love the colors as well...but yes, they are spendy!
He was selling them for $199.00 apiece...

Dessicata

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What colours were $199? If you really like them buy some cheap 'non morphs' and breed them. 'Morphs' aren't determined by the colours of the parents, so you can basically end up with a diverse mix - keep the ones you like, sell the ones yuo don't :)

Also cute that they eat baby food :)

Nich

Curator of glass boxes
Old Timer
color morphs arent determined by parent....? fortunatley the allele's from both parents are definitley involved in the color of the critter, they may not be expressed until the f2 or further down the line though. If you breed a crested with a hetero dominant for "flame" with another that is hetero with flame recessive then YOU do the punnet squares and tell me what you should come out with, you most certainly will have a fcouple of flaming little offspring. If you took genetics (or even biology) in highschool or college that is common knowledge that phenotypic and genotypic traits of both parents combined to give the offspring their phentype and genotype. It may take several generations to get the desired color morph but they will come out if you know the lineage of your critter. but too answer your question immotal i would goto sundalreptiles or reptiledepot for the absolute best deals on gorgeous cresteds at a fracion of the price you were offered. Judgin by that preice he had full grown ones (6-8") and the ones at sundial and depot are babies but well worth it. If you look around the net im sure you can find some good deals.....i got mine from my new job @ petco. :D

Dessicata

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Sorry, but you are wrong. Rhacodactylus ciliatus are polymorphic (sure thats the correct term?), there are no heterozygous or homozygous factors involved.

Nich

Curator of glass boxes
Old Timer
Lol!!!!

You should not talk of things you know nothing of, im no expert nor a genetisist but polymorphic means many forms. In this case the polymorphism of the cresteds refers to several color variants in the species. Like gardner snakes and such, how do you think they breed color morphs....? I know alot of people like to play the i know more than you hahaha bit but you should come up with some more solid eveidence for disporving me than "they are polymorphic" lol!!!!!! Polymorhism has nothing to do with reproduction or the inheritance of certain phenotypes. You can breed selectivley for many generations to isolate the phenotypes and genotypes you want if you know what you are doing. Mendel proved that in 1866 in his publications. Look it up and talk to breeders if you like, stop bashing and trying to show off your wit in a post you have no positive input for.

Dessicata

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Was just going by what I read on a few websites (and i did say i wasn't sure of the term...). But, I'm not as great a scientist as you, I will profess to that. Oh, by the way, how old are you oh great intelligent one? About 15? Keep your opinions to yourself in future.

Nich

Curator of glass boxes
Old Timer
No not that young, sorry for getting all excited but i get worked up when i present my defenses. I was just debating and i dont mean anything personal. I've seen posts lead to verbal fights and i dont want that to ever happen on something i started. THis thread has alredy gotten distorted into another topic..... :? Again i meant nothin personal, just my input. My mom always told me i argue too much..... {D

Dessicata

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Nothing wrong with arguing, it's what makes the world go round. But, if you breed 2 crested geckos, you WILL end up with a diverse array of patterns and morphs, be it bicolour morphs, unicolour, whatever. These can be line-bred, but the basis of my original post was to point out that unlike leopard geckos, orange doesnt always produce orange.

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
eheh kids.... be nice! I just wanted some questions answered LOL!
The ones that I saw for $199 were NOT adults either, but there were some interesting colors. I think he said that he specialized in the higher end color morphs?
I still think that's expensive, now that I've been to a few websites....
It's just that he's local, so it would be nice to hand pick. But I don't think I'll be spending almost $200, unless it would be for either P metallica (way more) or P subfusca LOL

Nich

Curator of glass boxes
Old Timer
very true as you dont often know what morphs the parents were or thier parents....but if you know the lineage you can predict the offspring to an "extent"...and thats only if you know the lineage 2-3 generatons up the line. But if you just breed two and dont know thier lineage its impossible to say these will be flame or the will be lime, very true.