My little B Albopilosum is getting me seriously addicted to the hobby

Luka98

Arachnosquire
This is my first T and i just wanna say that this is not my first exotic pet, i've kept reptiles before and i went in fully expecting a pet rock because most people said she was going to be one but i didn't mind it for my first T.

I got her last week and she was visibly stressed from the trip, she curled up in her enclosure next to the hide and i thought she was just gonna find the hide at one point and that's all i was gonna see from her for a long time. I couldn't have been more wrong!

After feeding her for the first time (which was one of the most amazing things i've ever witnessed) i was in pure AW. She's still a bit small and you could clearly see she wasn't fully confident in taking on a mid sized dubia. She was definitelly interested but very careful when next to it. I figured i should dim the light since they are nocturnal animals, and the second i did she got in her zone. The thing that amazed me was unlike lizards that go guns blazing the second they see prey, this animal carefuly assess the situation watching the preys moves and how they behave waiting for the time to strike and then when she saw the roach got a bit tired from scurrying BAM she tackles it and wrestles it to the ground while happy dancing.

Ever since then she has come out of her shell (no pun intended) she's been super active in her enclosure day and night just digging around and moving dirt, making a little pit she chills in, it's not a hole it's just a wide pit that she sits in and chills sometimes. Her hide might as well not be there since she closed it off and didn't look at it twice. She's very inquisitive and eats like a tank, just an amazing animal i love to observe when i'm taking a break from studying.

She's a bit skittish when i open the lid to dig up the water dish but i let her calm down by just keeping it open for a sec without touching her with the straw and she does, i think she's still in juvie stage so she's a bit skittish all around, not aggressive tho and very tolerant even tho she's slapped the straw a few times it was very gentle and not scary at all.

Anyways sorry for the wall of text but i just wanted to say i was only kinda curious about this hobby when she arrived but now i'm definitely here to stay! Already ordered the next one, it's a big sling C Versicolor and it's arriving in 2 days :D . Whoever is thinking about their first my advice is definitely the amazingly underrated B Albo.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
They are common and inexpensive, but I love them to pieces. I have five...I only bought two of them. Two were unplanned freebies, and one was a birthday present.

Minty

@londontarantulas
Second tarantula I got was a Brachypelma albopilosum. I love them, definitely want more.

Potatatas

Arachnoknight
Welcome to the hobby! I started with B albo too back in september and now am up to 4.

Yours sounds similar in behaviour to mine. I was expecting a pet rock and then found it digging for hours on end. So fascinating to watch

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +

Attachments

weibkreux

Arachnoknight
Mine is a glutton of a pet rock, only moves when she feel that a prey is nearby. :D

RonC

Arachnopeon
Seriously considered one for my first. Maybe it will make number two.

RedSkyzBlueMind

Arachnopeon
Welcome! Yeah B. albopilosum is an awesome beginner t. My first t was an unsexed G. porteri. It sadly passed away.