My last four T's arrive Tuesday -- husbandry hints?

laservet

Arachnopeon
My current collection:

-- C cyaneopubescens 1 1/2", replacing the 1" one that recently died. It's eating like a champ, starting to web up the enclosure.
-- G pulchra 1", great eater, burrowed right away.
-- P irminia 2", webbed up a mostly horizontal tunnel behind the cork hide including moss and substrate in the web, opening to tunnel at lower end. Eats scary well.

Additions:

-- B boehmei 1"
-- three B albopilosum 0.5"

The B boehmei will be housed in a terrestrial enclosure, 4"x4"x5" high, already has a large screen vent in the top, same enclosures I have for my current T's.

https://jamiestarantulas.com/terrestrial-juvenile-enclosure-kit/

For the three B albopilosum I bought three containers from The Container Store 2 1/4"x2 1/4"x3" high.

https://www.containerstore.com/s/gi...r-flush-lid-amac-boxes/12d?productId=10028594

I bought three 1" tabbed screen vents (haven't yet arrived) and Googled cutting a 1" hole in thin hard plastic without cracking. Interestingly enough, the first three hits were threads here on Arachnoboards. If that doesn't work I can shoot small holes in the plastic with a CO2 laser at work, hopefully won't set it on fire.

I'm setting up a B lateralis colony for feeding.

Any husbandry hints? How much moisture will the little 0.5" guys need? Will moist substrate be sufficient? Can I feed killed B lateralis pinheads whole or should I cut them into pieces? Will these little guys need a hide or do they just burrow at this size? I'll give the 1" boehmei a nice cork bark hide and a small water bowl, not sure if it will burrow like the G pulchra or will sit on top like the cyaneopubescens.

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Pro tip

Use a 1" hole saw bit or a 1" forsner bit and a powerdrill for the tabbed vents. Works like a charm.

To avoid scuffing the enclosures surfaces i always use a sharpie to mark the pilot holes position, then use a smaller drill bit to punch a pilot hole in the dot. That starts the course for the holesaw bit and eliminates the bit from walking and scratching up the acrylic

cold blood

Staff member
Pro tip #2

Ditch those enclosures altogether, avoid mesh screen for ventilation and focus on keeping things simple.

Condiment cups are better for small slings...

Deli cups are better for larger slings and smaller juveniles...

laservet

Arachnopeon
Condiment cups, little ones like from the salad bar? How do you ventilate?

boina

Lady of the mites
Yes, use smaller enclosures, like condiment cups. I made the mistake with my very first sling ever (E. campestratus) to put it in a slightly larger enclosure, about the size you bought. The darn thing burrowed and disappeared and I never knew how it was doing, if it was molting, if it was still alive and I couldn't get it to eat properly. Overall it was a highly frustrating experience and in the end it didn't grow as well as it could have and I ended with a MMM (miniature mature male)... Don't make the same mistake.

laservet

Arachnopeon
What size condiment cups are you using? I’ve found them from 0.5 oz up.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
2oz condiment cups are the common ones.

I love Container Store enclosures, though. I drill holes in them with a regular drill bit.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
2oz condiment cups are the common ones.

I love Container Store enclosures, though. I drill holes in them with a regular drill bit.
Kind of offtopic, but have you used their ‘Accessory Boxes’?

laservet

Arachnopeon
Thanks for all the advice, picked up some 2 oz condiment cups at lunch today. I used the surgical laser at work to make ventilation holes, 10 watts, 200 milliseconds punched nice round holes, minimal smoke. Longer duration allowed small hand movements to elongate the holes.

I assume I keep the little B albopilosum hydrated by keeping the substrate moist?

Nightshady

Dislike Harvester
If you're like me and hate the look of condiment and deli cups despite their excellent practicality, you can buy AMAC boxes at The Container Store of almost any size. For my smallest slings I use the 1.5" x 1.5" ones. The bottom surface area is nearly identical to a condiment cup, but they are a bit taller. They look 100% better IMO. Cheers.