My L. parahybana doing what she does best ...eating

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I know you love posting pics Rob, but perhaps General forum isn't the correct one for these things. People tend to use the gallery, picture or other suitable forum for that.

Also, I bet it's the lighting, angle and all that, but that L.P doesn't really look like a L.P :eek:
here is a better pic it is the lighting

ragingcobalt

Arachnopeon
thats a nice lookin T how big is it right now? I've got a 6-7 inch L.parahybana and its the same story absolute bottomless pit when it comes eating never even seen a T that comes close to eating so much.

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I really want a L. Parahybana. They are amazing Ts.

I was just wondering if they require high humidity or temp similar to that of the T. Blondi??

I really want to get a large T but the T. Blondi is too difficult for me to look after atm.

Also are these Ts good display animals and does any one handle they L. Parahybana??

Robc that is beautiful T!!
I keep mine at 80/80...and they are the best display T,s ....they are alway out mine has never hid once...never ans is always active. I can hold mine but she is docile....but she has her moods here is a pic of me holding her.

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
thats a nice lookin T how big is it right now? I've got a 6-7 inch L.parahybana and its the same story absolute bottomless pit when it comes eating never even seen a T that comes close to eating so much.
She is going to be a big girl she is almost 3 years old and already over 8"....they are bottomless pits

Theonenoonenos

Arachnopeon
I love the sp. they are huge and from what i can see fairly docile.
I will be getting one, probably as a juvi as i dont have a big tank or a place to keep a big tank yet, but im hopefully noving in July, where i will make room for a large T display.

Are they big eaters from a young age?? I think watching them feed is the best thing about this hobby!!

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I am honestly sorry if I offended you.:)
You didn't offend me. You posted an apology with the pictures and that was more than most would do in the first place.

Just not my cup of tea, that's all.

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
You didn't offend me. You posted an apology with the pictures and that was more than most would do in the first place.

Just not my cup of tea, that's all.
Just making sure.:)

smof

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
they're not relaxed, but our food are kept in crates for their entire lives.

short and brutal.

People beat dogs to death in the Philippines to soften the meat before eating.

Cats are skinned and then boiled alive for human consumption across Asia.

Throwing in a few baby mice isn't the end of the world.
I don't see what you're getting at here. :? I never said it was the end of the world. I never made any criticism of robc feeding his spider a mouse. Seriously, all I said was that I didn't think dying from being pumped full of venom, and starting to be consumed alive, would be any better than being shot in the head. Do you disagree?

And I never said anything about how farmed animals are kept, because what was being discussed was how humane the killing was. I think you are reading too much into my posts.

I feel bad for the mice myself, which is why I won't buy a python. Mammals and insects are two very different animals, I feel for mammals.

At the same time, I consume cattle and swine, and no large business cares about the treatment of their product, they care about the costs to get it large enough and then to the market.

Since I like burgers with bacon on top, I know I'd be a hypocrite complaining to anyone about serving a rodent to their pet which is a death that occurs in the wild.

Are you a vegan?
No. Why do you care if I'm vegan?

I eat meat. But I do actually care about how it's produced. Which is why I buy free range meat, and if I can't get free range meat I don't buy meat. Don't assume that because you shrug off how 'large business' deals with farming, so does everybody else.

Anyway this is getting way off topic. This is supposed to be a thread about somebody's spider. I never should have opened my mouth :rolleyes:

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Just curious,

Do the males get this large as well?
They are more leggy and skinnier, female has a bigger, bulkier body and thicker legs....and will probaly obtain a larger legspan....this girl will be 10"+....maybe more I am guessing.

tarandrew

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i think you should go to a slaughterhouse to see how things work. animals aren't exactly relaxing while being prepped
exactly. i've seen videos where the workers at a slaughterhouse take pride and joy into making animals suffer. tarantulas don't.

and have you ever seen a chicken being boiled alive in a slaughterhouse, because the workers neglected to kill it first?

Dance

Arachnopeon
I've seen this particular parahybana in action--in fact, I'm the one who took those pics. That mouse didn't suffer one bit; the fangs pierced the mouse's skull and it died instantly. As Robc said, not so much as a squeak of pain.

Every time she's fed, this spider goes right for the head. It's pretty impressive, actually.

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
could always try prekilled mice...or one day the beloved T may wind up with an injury it may not like ;)

My Lp is right at 7" and almost 3 years old...I am not expecting her next molt until mid-late summer as she molted earlier last fall. Can't wait til "she" is full grown!