My Jumping Spider Refuses Food

Smelted Duck

Arachnosquire
I caught a jumping spider in my house. I have several jumpers and they love the food that i gave them. The only problem that i have is 1 of them refuses all of the food i gave him, it's been 10 days since i got him. I tried to gave him a Meal worm and a small fly but he refuse both, also he's not moving around much, just stay in his makeshift hammock 24/7, can someone tell me what's going on?

basin79

ArachnoGod
I caught a jumping spider in my house. I have several jumpers and they love the food that i gave them. The only problem that i have is 1 of them refuses all of the food i gave him, it's been 10 days since i got him. I tried to gave him a Meal worm and a small fly but he refuse both, also he's not moving around much, just stay in his makeshift hammock 24/7, can someone tell me what's going on?
Reads like he's in premoult if he's not mature.

Jpennylane

Arachnopeon
Do you have pictures? I may be able to help. It might be in hibernation mode. My jumping spider, murphette does that when she’s in chill mode.

And try a cricket! My JS murphette loves crickets.

Last edited by a moderator:

Smelted Duck

Arachnosquire
Do you have pictures? I may be able to help. It might be in hibernation mode. My jumping spider, murphette does that when she’s in chill mode.

And try a cricket! My JS murphette loves crickets.
Thanks for your help, but he died yesterday :(

Smelted Duck

Arachnosquire
To actually shed not long at all. They can be in premoult for a few weeks though.
Oh no! I’m sorry
IMG_0998.JPG
Can you help me with this girl too? She's a excellent eater, but a few days ago she made herself a hammock and stayed there till now. I tried to feed her both mealworms and small flies and she didn't eat, she's just stay there and never came out, she does bite the worm and let go so yeah. Can you tell me what's with her?

basin79

ArachnoGod
View attachment 275865
Can you help me with this girl too? She's a excellent eater, but a few days ago she made herself a hammock and stayed there till now. I tried to feed her both mealworms and small flies and she didn't eat, she's just stay there and never came out, she does bite the worm and let go so yeah. Can you tell me what's with her?
More than likely she's in premoult too. Unless she's already an adult in which case she might be getting ready to lay an egg sack.

Smelted Duck

Arachnosquire
More than likely she's in premoult too. Unless she's already an adult in which case she might be getting ready to lay an egg sack.
I think she's an adult when compare her size to others, and i did see that there's 3 layer of web. She lays on the middle layer and the top layer looks like an egg sack but i got her like 2 months ago, could that possible?

basin79

ArachnoGod
I think she's an adult when compare her size to others, and i did see that there's 3 layer of web. She lays on the middle layer and the top layer looks like an egg sack but i got her like 2 months ago, could that possible?
If she was already an adult yes.

Jpennylane

Arachnopeon
View attachment 275865
Murphette does that too, but only for a few days at most. Can you get small crickets? Sometimes that perks up there awareness. Are you familiar with baby ones at all? Cuz I am new to it lmao murphette has laid two sacs since I’ve had her for two months.

Not worry as they're harmless. Was she wild caught or captive bred?
She
View attachment 275865
and how often do you feed her?

View attachment 275865
And now old is she???

Yup lol mine just laid another.

Smelted Duck

Arachnosquire
She

and how often do you feed her?
I feed her every 3 days, with mealworm

Not worry as they're harmless. Was she wild caught or captive bred?
She's a wild caught one, should I separate the slings or just leave them with their mother? And if i do, what food can i use to feed the slings?

Yup lol mine just laid another.
You just leave the slings with their mother? And how do you feed the slings?

Jpennylane

Arachnopeon
I feed her every 3 days, with mealworm
She could be laying an egg sac. From my experience murphette did that. Twice now. Does she move at all?

She's a wild caught one, should I separate the slings or just leave them with their mother? And if i do, what food can i use to feed the slings?
Look up phiddipus Audux babies on YouTube and watch bob the spider guy videos and there’s other good ones from other people

You just leave the slings with their mother? And how do you feed the slings?
Yes, it’s okay to leave them with their mother because the mother CAN tell the difference between food and baby. Bob the spider hunter is the shit on YouTube. I plan on feeding the slings fruit flies. I’m in the process of a game plan because they are getting bigger and more active and I have to transfer them to a jar soon I think. Also, bob the spider hunter suggested pill trays to put them in. Look him up! Look up bob the spider hunter on YouTube and phiddipus Audux babies

Smelted Duck

Arachnosquire
She could be laying an egg sac. From my experience murphette did that. Twice now. Does she move at all?
She's alive but she only stay in her web

Yes, it’s okay to leave them with their mother because the mother CAN tell the difference between food and baby. Bob the spider hunter is the shit on YouTube. I plan on feeding the slings fruit flies. I’m in the process of a game plan because they are getting bigger and more active and I have to transfer them to a jar soon I think. Also, bob the spider hunter suggested pill trays to put them in. Look him up! Look up bob the spider hunter on YouTube and phiddipus Audux babies
Thanks for the advice, how long until you feed them after they come out of their eggs?