My Israeli Gold is acting very aggressive this morning

James Westcombe

Arachnopeon
I've just gone to check up on my Israeli Gold Scorpion and found that she was acting very aggressive this morning despite the fact that she is usually very docile. Is there a reason as to why this might be happening?

Thanks.

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
I've just gone to check up on my Israeli Gold Scorpion and found that she was acting very aggressive this morning despite the fact that she is usually very docile. Is there a reason as to why this might be happening?

Thanks.
Several reasons, could be due to molt if very fat, also could be due to give birth also if very fat, or could just be fed up with constant checking on. Best to leave alone and enjoy.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Maybe she woke up on the wrong side of the enclosure? Just kidding, sometimes scorps can be aggressive one day and completely relaxed the next. Things happen and that's just how they can be sometimes. Agreed with the other ideas Dry Desert has.

James Westcombe

Arachnopeon
She's still acting aggressive but I'm a little less concerned about it now. She doesn't seem like she's pregnant or shedding so maybe she's just a little annoyed. She has started digging alot though but as it's dry in her tank, she cant make a burrow. Does anyone have any experience with using that mouldable substrate for scorpions?

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
She's still acting aggressive but I'm a little less concerned about it now. She doesn't seem like she's pregnant or shedding so maybe she's just a little annoyed. She has started digging alot though but as it's dry in her tank, she cant make a burrow. Does anyone have any experience with using that mouldable substrate for scorpions?
Your Israeli Gold ( Scorpio maurus ) although an arid species likes it a little more moisture than other desert species. They also like to dig and burrow a lot. You really need to give at least 3-4 inches of substrate as they dig long tunnels that finish with a larger chamber at the end. You could try a sand /coco fibre mix or an excavator clay mix - 30% clay 70% sand- no scorpion lives on just sand. If you use the clay mix you will have to shape the mix wet in the enclosure making burrow entrances with your finger or pencil then let it dry thoroughly before putting the scorpion back in. They are very difficult to breed in captivity because of this correct moisture level and really deep substrate - 8 inches plus.
Probably acting the way she is because now settled in the enclosure cannot construct tunnels the way she wants.

James Westcombe

Arachnopeon
Thanks, I plan on rehoming her sometime soon and i will make some of these changes but she seems ok for now. I modified her home a little so she can build a burrow and she has done so.

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
Thanks, I plan on rehoming her sometime soon and i will make some of these changes but she seems ok for now. I modified her home a little so she can build a burrow and she has done so.
If she is happy now with a new burrow leave alone and enjoy - no need to alter too many things around if she's happy.