my h. lividum...

nhojz

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i couldn't resist to handle her.. so........ any comments? suggestions?

sammyp

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
;) Hiya. Whilst some species of Tarantula will tolerate being handled my feeling is that they wouldn't ever enjoy the experience. With a species as nervous as H. lividum, I wouldn't advocate handling. Be aware that there is always the risk of you being bitten and (perhaps more importantly) you need to have a very clear idea of what your reaction to a bite would be.

It would be unfair on the spider if you weren't at least fairly certain you could keep calm and resist the impulse to fling the T off your hand etc..

Overall, whilst I do handle my more docile T's, I leave the aggresive/nervous ones well alone and enjoy them from a distance.

Wolfy72

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
First thing that comes to my mind......"Stupid" "Needs bitten".....Why tempt fate with such an aggressive Sp. personally, i find it's irresponsible.....

IguanaMama

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Very beautiful T and very beautiful pictures. I can't wait until my lividum grows up and shows some color.

MindUtopia

Arachnoking
Old Timer
My advice would be make sure you have access to a doctor in case you need one and made sure you have access to a new T when this one gets injured.

Calliope

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I wouldn't handle an aggressive T. I would be afraid of accidently damaging her if she did bite me, but she is a beautiful T.:)

Easyout58

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yeah, ditto what everyone else has said. What exactly are you thinking? :? :? :? :? :?

By-Tor

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I was going to ask where is the picture of the bite mark

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
By-Tor said:
I was going to ask where is the picture of the bite mark
As I understand it, someone bitten by a cobalt isn't exactly going to be in any shape to mess about with a camera. {D

Seriously, nhojz, do you have ANY IDEA what you're messing with?

maarrrrr

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
just remember that if and when they do bite, thay have been known to bite multiple times. ive handled mine for rehousing reasons without any problems. anyways, she is a beauty man!

Fierce Deity

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have held every single one of my inverts at least once. The ones I have only held once are things like Haplopelma, Poecilotheria, Pterinochilus etc. I do handle my more docile spiders a bit more often. I have been bitten however, and I know my reation to a bite. I would guess that if the girl pictured got tagged four multiple times, the spider would end up dead or injured. Hopefully this is the same for you, you just had to do it once for the experience. Very nice spider by the way.

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
While a bite from this species would be a pleasant experience, it's not going to necessarily land you in the hospital for 5 days.

As with most bites, I'd worry more about any bacteria on the spider's fangs (especially a WC one) causing a bacterial infection more than any concerns regarding the venom.

I think it's known that I consider handling unnecessary at best, but there is no need to exaggerate what will happen if he/she is bitten. I'd say the most danger is to the spider, which would likely be thrown or dropped.

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
becca81 said:
but there is no need to exaggerate what will happen if he/she is bitten. I'd say the most danger is to the spider, which would likely be thrown or dropped.
Well, yeah, definitely. But I've heard of people being in so much pain after a bite that they took themselves to the hospital to beg for painkillers. That may be the more extreme end of multiple bites/bad reactions, but either way, it will HURT. Horrible muscle/joint cramps for days, right?

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
my question is how did u get her in your hand without her flippin out trying to attack everything?was the spider throwing alot of threat displays?mabey this a very rare case of a docile lividum

BigHairy8's

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Listen to what the people previously wrote! Babe.... the last pic I saw from you was having an H. Gigas crawling on your head! DON'T PUSH YOUR LUCK! Your H. Lividum is beautiful. Keep her that way. These are normally nervous anyhow, so don't stress her. Get a more docile T to handle if you feel the need! That's my 2 cents.

Geography Guy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
@nhojz

I think handling your Cobalt is awesome! I wouldn't ever do it though. I think the most important thing about handling animals is to know the individual. You know your cobalt better then anyone on this board. For all we know you might have a calm cobalt after all I once had a docile cobalt and I have a calm centipede as of now. I think it's great you handle your cobalt even though I wouldn't do it I still respect the fact that you do it and enjoy it!

I support you all the way!

:clap: Good Job :clap:

Cheers,

Fierce Deity

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think that when a normally defensive tarantula seems very docile, more often than not it is under a lot of stress. I do realize that every spider is different though.

johnrey19

Arachnopeon
Geography Guy said:
@nhojz

I think handling your Cobalt is awesome! I wouldn't ever do it though. I think the most important thing about handling animals is to know the individual. You know your cobalt better then anyone on this board. For all we know you might have a calm cobalt after all I once had a docile cobalt and I have a calm centipede as of now. I think it's great you handle your cobalt even though I wouldn't do it I still respect the fact that you do it and enjoy it!

I support you all the way!

:clap: Good Job :clap:

Cheers,
DITTO :) :)