My first T!!

NukaMedia Exotics

#1 Tarantula Vendor in the USA! Ships Nationwide.
Something Columbian? Name it Pablo. :smug: As for the species I'm not a huge fan just because of their body type and max size, though the colors are somewhat pretty I'd prefer something like a P. irminia with similar colors. My first T was a 3/4" L. parahybana sling on 6/9/17 that is now about 2.5", very easy to care for I even got a 2nd one a month ago.

Jeffery Slavko

Arachnopeon
well either way those those 3 are probably the easiest to care for i got my 9 yr old niece a avic avic for xmass an she loves it it just molted a couple weeks ago an she took the molt to show an tell at school

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I’ve raised this species several times.

Care sheets KILL tarantulas.

It’s not a beginner species.

There are so many better choices, such as G. pulchripes or if you want to stay small see below.

I’ve also owned many types of Avics I don’t recommend them as someone’s first T either.

Fiona Andrews

Arachnopeon
Viper69, thank you for the advice. Some of the things you said make me think you should skim through the rest of this post; as I've already addressed some of your qualms. If you read everything and still think I shouldn't start with this species, I'd love to hear some specific reasons why.

AlabamaBug

Arachnopeon
Congratulations and welcome! You had asked about names; we named ours Ichabod (no telling the sex yet) and shorten it to Icky. This little one has been a lot of fun after it molted and came out of the burrow. Now it moves substrate all over the place and guards the hide entrance like someone will attack! I have seen ours move fast to catch prey, but have not had it charge me or run up the side of the enclosure when doing maintenance (thankfully).
Good luck and enjoy!

D Sherlod

Arachnoknight
By the sound of it, you have researched what you want,,, know the speed and risks,, have a plan to deal with the risks.

I say get the one you want,,, enjoy it and never underestimate it.
Welcome to the addiction

Dave Jay

Arachnoknight
Yes, welcome to the ranks of the infected!
I'm new to tarantulas , but I can give you one piece of advice learned through keeping scorpions.
You can't pack a dry substrate so pack it while moist and let it dry to where you need it before adding the inhabitant. Also the best way to get a neat result is to spray or squirt the substrate off of the sides and decor and spray the surface of the substrate to smooth it out . When a too wet substrate dries it becomes very solid and stable, holding burrows very well with very little chance of collapses. I usually make up extra 'blanks' while I have substrate mixed and am already making a mess of the loungeroom, then when I need them I just have to add decor and moisture.
As for choosing your first tarantula, I can't help you except to say that you'll enjoy whichever you get!

Fiona Andrews

Arachnopeon
Thank you all your your advice! (also, Ichabod is the cutest name I've ever heard)
I think I've come to a decision concerning what species I'll end up getting. Where I live it can stay cold well in to May and I really don't want to wait that long if I don't have to. I'm going to try and pick one up at an expo. I have found a couple people who may be selling Ts that I'm planning on messaging ahead of time but there's no way I'm gonna know exactly what's going to be there when I show up. SO I'm thinking I'll make one or two small terrestrial enclosures of different sizes and try to pick something out there after talking to the breeder. If they have euathlus sp. red (or some other small, or at least very slow growing, beginner species) I'd be happy to take him home. But, if the only species that works for me is the pumpkin patch, I'll probably pick it up. Because most of the info I've gotten is 50/50 (nothing wrong with that- just hard to make a firm decision) and I feel confident in my knowledge personally. Do you think this is reasonable?

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
Thank you all your your advice! (also, Ichabod is the cutest name I've ever heard)
I think I've come to a decision concerning what species I'll end up getting. Where I live it can stay cold well in to May and I really don't want to wait that long if I don't have to. I'm going to try and pick one up at an expo. I have found a couple people who may be selling Ts that I'm planning on messaging ahead of time but there's no way I'm gonna know exactly what's going to be there when I show up. SO I'm thinking I'll make one or two small terrestrial enclosures of different sizes and try to pick something out there after talking to the breeder. If they have euathlus sp. red (or some other small, or at least very slow growing, beginner species) I'd be happy to take him home. But, if the only species that works for me is the pumpkin patch, I'll probably pick it up. Because most of the info I've gotten is 50/50 (nothing wrong with that- just hard to make a firm decision) and I feel confident in my knowledge personally. Do you think this is reasonable?
If you can find one you are making a great choice as they are very slow growing. If you end up getting an H. Sp. Colombia, just be alert. I believe it is good to be a little paranoid, rather than confident when it comes to this hobby (i am paranoid about everything, not just this hobby).

Fiona Andrews

Arachnopeon
Oh yeah for sure. I can't tell you how many hours I've spent frantically searching the internet on behalf of my pets because of something completely ridiculous. I'll rephrase: I'm confident I could give the T an awesome home (+ a constant flame of paranoia and extreme diligence only pet owners can understand) :)

Dave Jay

Arachnoknight
I live in Australia, so I had no choice but to start with old world tarantulas, but I'm pretty confident that I will be able to deal with them, what choice do I have? I'm sure the precautions I take when dealing with freshly caught centipedes will help with the tarantulas, centipedes are psychos! And experts at trying to bolt whenever there is a gap! (Like when you try to slip a cricket or roach into their tub)
In one respect an inexperienced keeper will not fall into the trap of relaxing too much and becoming complacent when dealing with a feisty species as someone with years of experience might.
As long as you are aware of what you are taking on you should be fine!