My first T and I have some dumb questions lol

Ratatat

Arachnopeon
I think I got enough background info for the basic care of a rose hair T. (diet, substrate, enclosure, etc.) This will be my first T and the only thing holding me back from actually purchasing one is that I'm wondering how sudden their movements are/ if they're likely to try dashing to make a mad exit when I lift the lid off to clean the viv. Are they generally a calm species, or should I be worried of sudden and quick movements? As well, I own two rats and while I'm sure it'll be fine so long as the viv is securely sealed at all times, is it safe to keep a tarantula viv and a rat cage in the same room? I don't want to risk my rat's lives. Thanks.

RonnyT

Arachnosquire
I think I got enough background info for the basic care of a rose hair T. (diet, substrate, enclosure, etc.) This will be my first T and the only thing holding me back from actually purchasing one is that I'm wondering how sudden their movements are/ if they're likely to try dashing to make a mad exit when I lift the lid off to clean the viv. Are they generally a calm species, or should I be worried of sudden and quick movements? As well, I own two rats and while I'm sure it'll be fine so long as the viv is securely sealed at all times, is it safe to keep a tarantula viv and a rat cage in the same room? I don't want to risk my rat's lives. Thanks.
There are some crazy rosies, but as long as your careful nothing will happen. There is no risk for the rats if the viv has a proper lid.

NukaMedia Exotics

#1 Tarantula Vendor in the USA! Ships Nationwide.
I think they're generally a slow moving species and they don't have the capacity to bolt at a speed that some OWs can, so it will be fairly easy to manage.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
You should have the enclosure ready before you actually make the purchase. Follow the video I've linked below. Everything in there applies to your G. rosea or G. porteri. About your concern with the species being skittish or defensive, there really is no telling. One of my most defensive spiders is actually my G. porteri, the first tarantula I ever owned. They're not nearly as fast as any of the more advanced species, but they are faster than you in short bursts. That's why new keepers should always have a catch cup handy.

What I would suggest is that you make the enclosure, post pictures of it here before buying the spider, and then go from there. As a side, that video shows you everything you need. Everything. You do not need a heat lamp, heat pad, humidity gauge, thermometer, or anything else. Don't let the pet store sell you on useless stuff.

Theneil

Arachnoprince
i have an adult female and mature male rosehair ( G. porteri) Neither one has ever tried to bolt out of their enclosure but the male in particular can be a bit of a spazz if his enclosure gets bumped or moved. Not crazy fast on the tarantula speed scale.

On the note of tarantula speed: In my opinion, even a "slow" tarantula will be too fast for a person to react if you are too close and it gets upset. So be just observant and careful and enjoy.

spookyvibes

Arachnobaron
It's not a dumb question:) Generally speaking, Grammostola rosea/Grammostola porteri are calm and will most likely sit like a stone every time you open the lid. They are considered a docile and slow moving species, though there always is the slim chance of getting a psycho rosie (I have two.) As far as being a danger to your rats, I doubt it. Rats are very good at defending themselves, I doubt something as delicate as a tarantula would stand a chance.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
This will be my first T and the only thing holding me back from actually purchasing one is that I'm wondering how sudden their movements are/ if they're likely to try dashing to make a mad exit when I lift the lid off to clean the viv. Are they generally a calm species, or should I be worried of sudden and quick movements?
Most rosies are fairly docile, although it's always possible to end up with an individual whose temperament deviates from the norm.

It's unlikely to make a bid for freedom. If you end up with a skittish individual, it's more likely to retreat to its hide/burrow, where it feels safe.

As well, I own two rats and while I'm sure it'll be fine so long as the viv is securely sealed at all times, is it safe to keep a tarantula viv and a rat cage in the same room?
It's fine. As an extra precaution, don't open the tarantula enclosure while the rats are out of their enclosure.

Bizzarrini

Arachnopeon
Certainly don't worry about your rats, just make sure they are not near when the enclosure is open. Your tarantula would probably throw hairs and run if it came in contact with your rats.

cold blood

Staff member
Even rosies with bad attitudes aren't bolty in the least...we don't refer to them as potatos for no reason.

Just keep things bone dry, and do not feed very often...they have a very low food requirement...once or twice a month is all you need to feed.

Also, they can and will fast, sometimes for no reason...sometimes for an extremely long time.