My first pokie...

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Haha miss moxie! Some men aren't even good for that. ;)
Sad but true!

---------- Post added 03-07-2015 at 05:27 PM ----------

Miss moxie I have looked through your photo thread, B E A utiful t's you have!
Why thank you! I'm very proud of my spider army.

---------- Post added 03-07-2015 at 05:28 PM ----------

Does that mean anything for me since I don't plan on breeding?
You can sell or trade him.
+1 -- You can do a breeding loan as well, if someone is looking for a MM when he does mature. Then you can get some of his slings and start over.

jbinkc1911

Arachnopeon
Awesome, thanks for all the info.

This hobby may turn out to be as expensive as my guns (but not quite). We will see what my wife says, I just ordered another Ornata [emoji13]

fuzzyavics72

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I don't trust many people for breeding loans. Also there's NO guarantee you'll get a sac. New hobbyists don't understand this. There's so many variables that can go wrong.

---------- Post added 03-07-2015 at 06:57 PM ----------

Unfortunately I can't have many guns due to NY state... I've spent a ton of money on arachnids lol

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
I don't trust many people for breeding loans. Also there's NO guarantee you'll get a sac. New hobbyists don't understand this. There's so many variables that can go wrong.
That's true too. The male could also get eaten and the female could not produce a sac, then you're screwed out of slings and your male, as well as losing the T's value to the wind.

jbinkc1911

Arachnopeon
I hear ya, it adds up quick. I've been in and out of the hobby since I was a kid, raising all types of stuff, probably my favorite so far have been the pair of adroctonus australis I had and the Latrodectus, had a few of them. Now the ornata of course!

Last edited:

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
I hear ya, it adds up quick. I've been in and out of the hobby since I was a kid, raising all types of stuff, probably my favorite so far have been the pair of Adroctonus Australia I had and the Latrodectus, had a few of them. Now the ornata of course!
Mmm, I'm avoiding Australian Ts. They don't interest me enough to risk their venom potency. So far my favorites are my A. geniculata and my Pamphos. I'm also becoming vey fond of all my Avicularia.

jbinkc1911

Arachnopeon
And miss moxie thanks for the heads up. I don't think I wanna send Harry off just yet[emoji51] he still needs to move into his new home and make room for the sling in the cereal container

---------- Post added 03-07-2015 at 11:27 PM ----------

I should've put that's a scorpion[emoji51] [emoji27] [emoji28]

jbinkc1911

Arachnopeon
Here are a couple of clips I recorded while feeding Harry this afternoon, the second one is just him walking around a bit on his bark. I hope the resolution is good on these uploads because I am rather impressed with the videos on this galaxy s5. They look good on my phone at least. I could also get better shots if the container was more clear, I'll have him a his new terrarium this weekend. Hope you enjoy.[emoji13]
http://youtu.be/DINXQk_WuB0

http://youtu.be/V5rBipa-cJg

Last edited:

fuzzyavics72

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
How often do you feed your ornata one cricket? My five inch male ornata will eat six or seven large crickets at a time.

jbinkc1911

Arachnopeon
I usually give him two or three every couple days. But I don't put them in there all at once.

---------- Post added 03-09-2015 at 10:05 PM ----------

I've only really got a general idea of how much he should be eating I think, can you provide any specifics?

fuzzyavics72

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Pokies will constantly eat and even eat in premolt. I had an subfusca highland eat an hour before it molted. I love watching my massive pokies have a big ball of crickets lol. I had a four inch P striata eat a anole that was six inches.

This girl will take fifteen crickets at a time, so I started to use hissers.

Attachments

fuzzyavics72

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I feed my pokies unlike any other genus I have. Usually my pokies have issues gaining weight after molting, so I'll use wax worms.

jbinkc1911

Arachnopeon
Ok, so I'm probably over concerned about over feeding, I'll step it up a little, that's easy! Hell, feeding em is half the fun

---------- Post added 03-10-2015 at 08:04 AM ----------

Thanks for the advice

fuzzyavics72

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm pretty sure pokies have the fastest metabolism in tarantulas. And I've never worried about feeding pokies too much. Feed them however you want. Remember though, the faster you feed the faster they'll grow and die.