...my first "garden found" tarantula...

SergioCR

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi!
Do you people remember the "small interesting spider" that i found at backyard? well... it's getting bigger :) here's a fresh picture at night... it's reaching the 2" by now after 3 molts. {D

If someone want the full size pic. it can be downloaded here

It's starting to show the little horn they have...

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
Hey that's a nice T and a nice picture! What species is it?

MindUtopia

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Oh nice. It looks so much bigger than 2"! Are you measuring the length of the body or the leg from tip of the front leg to tip of the back? Sorry if that sounds like a dumb question! It just looks so big for a 2 incher.

Karen

SergioCR

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Cirith Ungol said:
Hey that's a nice T and a nice picture! What species is it?

...it is an sphaerobothria hoffmanni, pretty well common all around the capital here in Costa Rica :)

SergioCR

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
MindUtopia said:
Oh nice. It looks so much bigger than 2"! Are you measuring the length of the body or the leg from tip of the front leg to tip of the back? Sorry if that sounds like a dumb question! It just looks so big for a 2 incher.

Karen
...i'm measuring tip from the front leg to tip of back, in diagonal, it might be 2.5" but the quick look is 2... "measured with the t. hanging at the side of the enclosure" they are quite nervous and run fast to the hide in case of any disturbance.

They are very active at night and likes to dig a lot, makes tunnels all around the enclosure, both small ones have like 2 or 3 different entrances to the tunnels and stays outside at night.

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Very nice! I love this species. I have a juvenile female and male here, both around 2".... trying my best to slow down the male and feeding the female like crazy. I've raised them from tiny little slings.

I have mine set up in containers with lots of substrate and they've made really deep and interesting burrows.

Ewok

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
SergioCR , your lucky to be able to go out and catch your own tarantula, I wich I could do that

SergioCR

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
GoTerps said:
Very nice! I love this species. I have a juvenile female and male here, both around 2".... trying my best to slow down the male and feeding the female like crazy. I've raised them from tiny little slings.

I have mine set up in containers with lots of substrate and they've made really deep and interesting burrows.

...so you're planing to start a family with them :D i'm thinking the same with mine and see how it goes... i have an adult female (molted october 7) and two slings of about 2" also... one i think is male, grows faster and looks like male, we'll see... the other grows slower and seems female to me but it's still too small to see clearly and likes to molt underground also so.... in fact i found that it molted because one of the tunnels goes right to the side of the enclosure and the old skin was left there like pushed to the ground so it can't be seen.

SergioCR

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
-palau- said:
SergioCR , your lucky to be able to go out and catch your own tarantula, I wich I could do that
:) in fact i'm kindda rescue brigade here because i live in a very well populated area with a very green garden... so all insects and stuff hides here.

I have found dead tarantulas outside at the street and at the other houses entrances probably killed with some pesticide or crushed.

There's a lot of wrong information about insects here... everybody thinks that tarantulas are the cause of some infection in cows and that they jump and spill some urine into you and burns your skin! (that's a good one!) and so it goes to milipedes, centipedes, all kind of worms, etc...

SergioCR

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Arachnoking said:
Sub adult female S.hoffmanni
Nice picture! great T ! how big is she?

The one i have here (the big one) is about 4.5" diagonal and the femur of all legs has a darker coloration than the entire tarantula (dark brown looking) i'll manage to ge some pics one of these days, she's very camera shy and nervous... :)