My first escape

kupo969

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Well, there it is! 2 years in and it's my first. It's only a 1" OBT, but it's out there! I was checking it's deli cup for left overs cause it molted a week ago. It didn't eat so it has a small abdomen.

This is the fastest OBT I've seen yet. Opened the deli cup and it literally jumped out, landed on my calf, jumped again under my PC and it's gone. I didn't even see it touch the floor, ridiculous.

Since it's hungry, I setup a deli cup lid with a bunch of meal worms in there. Anything it will work?

upwith inverts!

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Look in all 90 degree angles(i.e. where the floor meets the wall) and confined spaces for a tube web. That's what my 1 incher did twice in a row.

SCORPIONNOOB

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I remember when m H.lividium got out... I was not very excited about it. Thankfully she just curled up in the corner and was fairly easy to catch. I hope ya find her....shes scared and alone..:(

indigoeyes

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I had my H. mac get out once. I was afraid to stick my hand ANYWHERE in my apartment until I found her. Good luck!

Tcollector

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well, there it is! 2 years in and it's my first. It's only a 1" OBT, but it's out there! I was checking it's deli cup for left overs cause it molted a week ago. It didn't eat so it has a small abdomen.

This is the fastest OBT I've seen yet. Opened the deli cup and it literally jumped out, landed on my calf, jumped again under my PC and it's gone. I didn't even see it touch the floor, ridiculous.

Since it's hungry, I setup a deli cup lid with a bunch of meal worms in there. Anything it will work?
That is the reason why I check to see where the obt is then I open the container. When I have to do cleaning I crack the lid a little, then I throw in a cricket and after he gets it and goes into the burow then I start cleaning lol.

wedge07

Arachnolord
Old Timer
With fast Ts I open their deli cup in a spare aquarium I have. They may dart but at least the tank will slow them down. Most just dart into a corner. I have found if I put some substrate in the aquarium they will not bolt far and usually within the confines of the tank.

blazetown

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
It's great having old world T's loose in the house. My Lividum came to a moist towel in a dark corner when it was out. I don't know if an OBT would respond to moisture like that, but you could try. Someone posted about checking 90 degree areas and that sounds like your best bet.

kupo969

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Well, my room mate found it. She was in the kitchen and heard a loud thud. She looked down at an empty gallon jug and low and behold, it was there. I guess the thud was from it suiciding from the roof. All in all, found and unhurt!

Pacmaster

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
With fast Ts I open their deli cup in a spare aquarium I have. They may dart but at least the tank will slow them down. Most just dart into a corner. I have found if I put some substrate in the aquarium they will not bolt far and usually within the confines of the tank.
I do the same but with a big sterelite tub!

Its always the OBTs ya read about escaping . . .
I made my obt cage so that I dont have to open it to feed or water the T.

Scorp, I know you werent, just had to get my $.02 ;)

Pacmaster

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Glad you asked!
Ill go take a couple pics for ya!
Be back . . .

Here it is, I cut a hole in the top corner and glued the cork in such a way that I hoped the obt would utilize the hide area I made.
It did!
It set up with a nice tunnel web that runs from the feeding door to the "hole" area thats below the rest of the substrate level.
Look in the 4th pic background, and theres a clear cube I made with the feeding door on top.
I just put it in there about 10 days ago, and checkout the webbing . . .

Last edited:

Crazy0monkey

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I remember when m H.lividium got out... I was not very excited about it. Thankfully she just curled up in the corner and was fairly easy to catch. I hope ya find her....shes scared and alone..:(
same thing happend 2 me. It's scary when then that thing is on the loose. They are crazyyyyy mine almost got up behind a stove, luckily it only got into the cuboard lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Hilikus311

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Wow so its almost always an OBT that you hear about pulling a hudini. . .lol i hope mine never does that:rolleyes:

wedge07

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Glad you asked!
Ill go take a couple pics for ya!
Be back . . .

Here it is, I cut a hole in the top corner and glued the cork in such a way that I hoped the obt would utilize the hide area I made.
It did!
It set up with a nice tunnel web that runs from the feeding door to the "hole" area thats below the rest of the substrate level.
Look in the 4th pic background, and theres a clear cube I made with the feeding door on top.
I just put it in there about 10 days ago, and checkout the webbing . . .

Man that's another cool enclosure. There do seem to be alot of OBT escapees. I want one but after seeing so many escapes and my little niece is in the house it is probably not worth the risk.