My Custom Made Enclosure

EightLeggedFreaks

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Custom made, by me! 4 of them get vents but I had drilled out the front of one for my pederseni. So I have 5 in total! Made from acrylic, these are 3x3x7 inches. There is an inch and a half of room for substrate.

Hasp are on backwards for better viewing. They are pretty tight so there is no room for the door to be pushed open but still easily opened by us!

I can't wait for my vents to show up so I can finish the other 4.

Dr Acula

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Let's hope you'll start selling some of these eventually ;) outstanding job!

Kodi

Title Master
Old Timer
I think I got my measurements down so all my pieces fit together nicely! What's the setting time for weld on #3? I don't have clamps so I'll be holding each piece in place until its stable.

See any kind of mistake? For the front piece I left 1/8" out for space for the door to open and close where the hinge will be. This plexiglass is about 1/8" thick.

The 7x3 piece is the bottom part where the substrate will go.

EightLeggedFreaks

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think I got my measurements down so all my pieces fit together nicely! What's the setting time for weld on #3? I don't have clamps so I'll be holding each piece in place until its stable.

See any kind of mistake? For the front piece I left 1/8" out for space for the door to open and close where the hinge will be. This plexiglass is about 1/8" thick.

The 7x3 piece is the bottom part where the substrate will go.
I'll take a better look when I'm at a comp, but Weldon 3 is like 10 seconds set time.

Kodi

Title Master
Old Timer
Wow. Is 4 a longer set time? I'm afraid it will dry before I get the pieces together because of the length I have to glue.

---------- Post added 06-30-2013 at 10:11 PM ----------

Nevermind. I obviously didn't understand how to use weld on with acrylic, but I just watched a video and now I understand.

EightLeggedFreaks

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Alright so what I would do is 7x14 for the back, 6 3/4"sx14 for the sides, 7x7 for the top, 7x6 7/8"s for the bottom, then your 7x3 for the substrate piece, then your door which would be 7x10 7/8's so that the top over hangs and would be flush with the door. It might be a lot easier to build with 3/16's plexi however. So your measurements are all correct. And with 3/16 plexi you'd be less likely to have it warp over time. But it's really up to you. It would be pricier that's for sure. If they are cutting it perfect to your size and for cheap or free then that's awesome!

Good luck with your project! I'll make a DIY video when I have time. Maybe this weekend or something.

Kodi

Title Master
Old Timer
They only have one type of plexiglass and ya they cut it for free and I only pay for the pieces I want which is much cheaper and a plus since I don't have a cutting tool.

I see what your saying with the door closing right under the top. I was going to have it close over the top piece.

EightLeggedFreaks

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
They only have one type of plexiglass and ya they cut it for free and I only pay for the pieces I want which is much cheaper and a plus since I don't have a cutting tool.

I see what your saying with the door closing right under the top. I was going to have it close over the top piece.
You could do that too. You having it open from the side? or like mine?

Kodi

Title Master
Old Timer
So that's why you made the bottom piece a bit smaller.

---------- Post added 06-30-2013 at 10:42 PM ----------

It's exactly like yours.

EightLeggedFreaks

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
So that's why you made the bottom piece a bit smaller.

---------- Post added 06-30-2013 at 10:42 PM ----------

It's exactly like yours.
I made the bottom piece smaller so that the substrate piece would be flush with the sides and the bottom. And if you do it like mine you should put the hasps the same way as mine. And on my first one I messed up and didn't put the top hasp on perfectly so it left a little gap. Let me take a video quickly so you kinda get what I mean.

Kodi

Title Master
Old Timer
Wait... Wouldn't the sides have to be 6 5/8" to account for the smaller bottom piece?

EightLeggedFreaks

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
No, it's only 1/8th so if you're taking off 2/8th's that's 1/4 which would make it 3/4

---------- Post added 06-30-2013 at 09:27 PM ----------

I'll have to post the video tomorrow. It's only about 1/4 way done uploading and I need to hit the sac! I'll upload tomorrow morning before I head off to work.

Kodi

Title Master
Old Timer
After thinking about it and using my under developed mental spacial skills I finally understand! Thank you so much for the help.

Kodi

Title Master
Old Timer
That definitely answered some questions. Now I can't wait for my Weldon, hasps, and hinges to get here so I can try my hand at it. I'm probably going to end up making all of my own enclosures now! Thank you so much.

Kodi

Title Master
Old Timer
I took my measurements to two different hardware stores and both of them told me they can't cut plexiglass with such exact measurements. How do you cut your plexiglass and with what?

EightLeggedFreaks

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I took my measurements to two different hardware stores and both of them told me they can't cut plexiglass with such exact measurements. How do you cut your plexiglass and with what?
I cut mine with a table saw. But you could also use an acrylic cutting knife. The things are cheap. maybe 5 to 10 bucks. You just score it a bunch of times then snap it.

Hersh77tess

Arachnosquire
Nice..... Good work. Nice to see people who are still willing to make what the want not just buy it.
Gonna have to introduce my bf to this thread before my birthday. ;-)