My Cobalt Blue is acting strange

Adam2003

Arachnopeon
1.) I'm 90%sure she was in death curl tonight.. But started to become somewhat active after prodding her 2.) She's letting me handle her as I speak.. Which is crazy for both her as an individual and as a species and 3.) She's looking skinny but she won't accept crickets that I put in her enclosure (covid hasn't given me access to superworms) 4.) She does have water and I'm trying to make sure she has enough humidity

Dorifto

He who moists xD
Firstly stop handling it, and much more if you feel that the T is sick, and secondly is a haplopelma...

Post a picture of your T and enclosure, as this will give us more information.

If you feel she/he could be dehydrated give her/him some water drops between the fangs.

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
Not the best setup.

Not to say that's the issue, but you have her set up like a NW terrestrial.

A KK/Tank filled up to the brim with moist substrate would suit an Asian Fossorial better. Let her dig until her heart is content. You can't give her enough substrate.

She is on the skinny side, but not alarmingly so.

Also, how confident on the sexing?

Best of Luck,

PJ

Dorifto

He who moists xD
Well Epic answered you for me. Give her more moist and compact substrate, this way she will dig much better.

ColeopteraC

Arachnobaron
1.) I'm 90%sure she was in death curl tonight.. But started to become somewhat active after prodding her 2.) She's letting me handle her as I speak.. Which is crazy for both her as an individual and as a species and 3.) She's looking skinny but she won't accept crickets that I put in her enclosure (covid hasn't given me access to superworms) 4.) She does have water and I'm trying to make sure she has enough humidity
This seems like typical care sheet misinformation.

Rehouse to a much larger and deeper enclosure with moist, compact substrate and a water bowl.
She does have water and I'm trying to make sure she has enough humidity
Humidity is irrelevant to T keeping, chasing humidity numbers will kill the tarantula. Just worry about substrate moisture, nothing more.

coolnweird

Arachnobaron
A KK/Tank filled up to the brim with moist substrate would suit an Asian Fossorial better. Let her dig until her heart is content. You can't give her enough substrate.
Gotta say I disagree with "filled up to the brim". When setting up fossorials, it's very important to leave space up top for all the dirt they're going to bring up out of their burrows. If you put a burrower in a kk literally full to the brim, you'll wake up one morning to dirt packed up into the lid and falling out of the vents.

Adam2003

Arachnopeon
I was extremely surprised that she let me.. I didn't even get a threat posture. That's why I'm worried because I decided to handle her after I thought something was wrong with her so i figured I would test to see if she'd act normally and be defensive

Attachments

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
Just so I understand:
Your Tarantula is acting strange, possibly in a death curl, and your reaction was to handle the Tarantula to see if it would be defensive?:sour:

Adam2003

Arachnopeon
Just so I understand:
Your Tarantula is acting strange, possibly in a death curl, and your reaction was to handle the Tarantula to see if it would be defensive?:sour:
Well I prodded her to check her temperament and to see if she'd react or give me a threat posture but she started climbing out of her enclosure, I didn't have a catch cup or anything so I decided I'd rather have her on me instead of her being loose in my room 😔 then when I saw she was being calm I let her walk on me so I could make sure she was moving normally

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
Gotta say I disagree with "filled up to the brim". When setting up fossorials, it's very important to leave space up top for all the dirt they're going to bring up out of their burrows. If you put a burrower in a kk literally full to the brim, you'll wake up one morning to dirt packed up into the lid and falling out of the vents.
Wrong figure of speech. I learned that lesson already haha. You are correct.

Asgiliath

Arachnobaron
Well I prodded her to check her temperament and to see if she'd react or give me a threat posture but she started climbing out of her enclosure, I didn't have a catch cup or anything so I decided I'd rather have her on me instead of her being loose in my room 😔 then when I saw she was being calm I let her walk on me so I could make sure she was moving normally
you don't have to handle a spider with medically significant venom (or any at all!) to make sure they're "moving normally". Grab a paint brush or pen or something and graze the back legs or abdomen while the T is in the enclosure...

You can't check a spider's "temperature". They don't thermoregulate like mammals.

*goes to bed*

edit: "temperament". Still. Lol

Last edited:

Adam2003

Arachnopeon
I said temperament.. And I didn't exactly try to handle her at first..

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
Wrong figure of speech. I learned that lesson already haha. You are correct.
people get waaaayyyy too literal here
To the OP, yes substrate looks too loose and too dry. The fact that you can hold it says to me "not feeling well at all"

0311usmc

Arachnobaron
I was extremely surprised that she let me.. I didn't even get a threat posture. That's why I'm worried because I decided to handle her after I thought something was wrong with her so i figured I would test to see if she'd act normally and be defensive
Looking at this picture I noticed the front left leg appears to have been injured. The tip of the leg looks to be hanging on by a thread.
Did you close lid on leg or perhaps it fell somehow?