My C Elegans sling wont eat

Suzyrmail

Arachnopeon
My tiny little sling wont eat it's only tiny I have tried giving it pinhead crickets, larger dead crickets and tiny mealworms. Its currently in a vial should I swap it to something else to see if that will help it eat?

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
My tiny little sling wont eat it's only tiny I have tried giving it pinhead crickets, larger dead crickets and tiny mealworms. Its currently in a vial should I swap it to something else to see if that will help it eat?
How small are they? Dwarf species spiderlings are tiny and there is no way that you will be able to tell if they've eaten. The only real way to tell is that their abdomen will be getting larger. You will likely not be able to judge by how much of the prey item is gone. They are going to eat so little of it.
Can you provide a photo of the spiderling?

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
Use a piece of cut up mealworm, all of mine eat like this and the pieces are almost as big as the tarantula. you should be able to catch it eating if you check on in every hour or so. If it isn’t eating it could be getting ready to molt.

I can always tell if mine have eaten or not.

It's 0.5cm at the moment I have attached a picture of it. I decided to move it into a tiny round tub so I can try and see if its easier to keep in that.
Wise thing to do.Slings that small I keep in 1oz sauce tub with a tyni piece of spaghnum moss for cover and is so much easier to keep an eye on them.Also I always feed them pre killed as they can moult at any time even the day after they had eaten.
Here is one of my Pseudhapalopus sp colombia.
20200714_144734.jpg
Regards Konstantin

cold blood

Staff member
It's 0.5cm at the moment I have attached a picture of it. I decided to move it into a tiny round tub so I can try and see if its easier to keep in that.
I feel like I write this 10 times a week.....Fat ts, even slings, don't require food, they just require patience. Your little t is EXTREMELY fat...food should be your last worry.....literally do nothing and wait for a molt....it shouldn't be too long as your t is heavy pre molt.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
I have a N. Incei that has not eaten in 30 days, it is just sitting in a web cocoon it has made, so as @cold blood stated, do not worry about it not eating and plump.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
That spiderling is huge. It doesn't want food, or need it. Don't even worry about food until after they moult.

Suzyrmail

Arachnopeon
Thanks for all your replies I haven't got spahgnum moss I will have to get some tomorrow.

I will just leave the little T to it and hope it molts soon.

I haven't had the t for that long so it was well fed before it came to me

Magicis3

Arachnosquire
You can give it flightless fruit flies or cricket drum sticks. In my experince Drum sticks work well

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
Fruit flies contain almost no nutrition, avoid them.

In my opinion, that tarantula isn't REALLY a sling anymore; it's already half its adult size.

It should molt soon.

Suzyrmail

Arachnopeon
I thought at that size it would still be considered a sling?

I hope to get it out of this tiny stage soon it's making me nervous that it might not get to adulthood and it's a stunning species and one I want to have.

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
I thought at that size it would still be considered a sling?

I hope to get it out of this tiny stage soon it's making me nervous that it might not get to adulthood and it's a stunning species and one I want to have.
My Males matured at about the size of a quarter, maybe a little bit bigger than a quarter but not much.

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
When you can't even see its abdomen striping...

You KNOW its in pre-molt...hehe 🙊

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
In my opinion, that tarantula isn't REALLY a sling anymore; it's already half its adult size.
You're correct. Since this is one of the smaller species in the genus, with adult females topping out at only about 2", this spider is a juvenile at this point and started life off at half their current size.

Suzyrmail

Arachnopeon
Cool to see these pics. My Elegans is so small right now and I think it's in premolt since I can't see heart on abdomen right now.
Your little c elegans does look like it's in pre molt they do loose the heart shape when they are going through this stage.

I doubt it will be long before you will have a freshly molted T.