My boy is growing up (and a new surprise) *pics*

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
Bruce is 10 mths now...where did the time go? He has finished (with flying colors) his advanced obedience, and earned his CGN (canine good neighbor certification), we are soon to start our therapy dog training. I love this dog so much, he is so smart, loves to work for me, and is so incredible with my kids.

In other news, he is getting a big sister :D For many years I co-owned/showed/mentored with a very good Labrador breeder, and we are taking a retired Canadian Champion from a breeder who bred the same lines as/showed and co-owned with, my old breeder. Her name is Annie, and she comes home in a couple weeks, we met her and she is beyond perfect. Everything a Lab should be (I'm a bit of a Lab snob, they have pretty high standards to meet for me to own them, as this breed has been destroyed by backyard breeders). Annie's breeder bred and owned the #1 Lab in Canada for many years :) We can't wait to bring our girl home, she is also going to be therapy dog trained.

Here are some new pics of my boy, and his soon to be "sister" (shes the one in front in the pic).

b.jpg
b2.jpg
b4.jpg
annie.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Bruce, as always, is gorgeous! Obviously the third picture was taken after you'd had him slaving all day long. LOL Tired puppies are good puppies. :)

Annie is a nice looking Lab. I tend to be a bit of a Lab snob myself. I hate it that the 'Greyhound style' Lab has become popular here in the States. (Thank you back yard breeders...) A friend and former co-worker bred working Labs for a few decades before getting heavily into conformation and multi-titles. She had one of the top bitches in the US several years ago. Jetta was small statured and the judges would routinely keep looking, and looking, and ultimately say, "Well, she's tiny, but she's ALL Lab." - blocky head, good otter tail, tight feet, Quarterhorse hindparts, etc. A proper Lab is a sight to behold. :)

Shell

Staff member
Bruce, as always, is gorgeous! Obviously the third picture was taken after you'd had him slaving all day long. LOL Tired puppies are good puppies. :)

Annie is a nice looking Lab. I tend to be a bit of a Lab snob myself. I hate it that the 'Greyhound style' Lab has become popular here in the States. (Thank you back yard breeders...) A friend and former co-worker bred working Labs for a few decades before getting heavily into conformation and multi-titles. She had one of the top bitches in the US several years ago. Jetta was small statured and the judges would routinely keep looking, and looking, and ultimately say, "Well, she's tiny, but she's ALL Lab." - blocky head, good otter tail, tight feet, Quarterhorse hindparts, etc. A proper Lab is a sight to behold. :)
Agreed to all of it! I showed Labs for many years, and if they don't look like a well bred lab I'm not interested lol. All the judges that ever judged Annie said that she was as close to perfect as they come, aside from her eye color is "slightly too light" which doesn't bother me. Her tail and tail set are so amazing. I just love her, on top of being gorgeous, she is so well trained, kind, loving, gentle, we can't wait :)

Boatman

Arachnosquire
Both look perfect. I really dig Bruce. I'd love to own one like him someday. Congrats!

Shell

Staff member
Both look perfect. I really dig Bruce. I'd love to own one like him someday. Congrats!
Thanks :D Bruce really is a special boy. Not only is he handsome, but he is just such a natural with my kids, loves everyone he meets (dogs and people alike), and just an all around joy to own. He was worth the 4 years we waited to get another dog after losing my last Lab in 2008.

Dobes get such a bad rep, and they really don't deserve it. Such goofy, loving, loyal dogs, everyone should at least know one in their lives (IMO lol).

ShredderEmp

Arachnoprince
Bruce kinda sounds like my Collie. Murphy is such a passive dog. He will follow you around, sleep right outside your room, greet you every time you enter the house, and he will let you do anything you want. He will lay down on the floor and you can push him all the way across the hall without a care. He is also scared of dogs smaller than him haha. He's super quiet too.

Shell

Staff member
Don't get me wrong, Bruce is a great dog, but he is not "easy" by any means. It has taken countless hours of training to get him this well behaved (I work him daily at home, as well as evening sessions a few times a week out of the house). His nature/temperament are lovely, but he is a strong willed, thinking dog. He also has A LOT of drive, so if he was not properly trained and/or was in a home with novice dog owners, he would likely be a nightmare lol. Once I found out what motivated him to enjoy working/training it started to be smooth sailing. Thankfully I've owned/worked with dogs like him before, so him and are just a good "fit" for each other.

Now as far as how he interacts with my kids, he IS a natural at that, he just knows how to be with them, and will actually (without me training this) calm their autistic meltdowns when they happen (much more efficiently than even I can). He leans on them when the meltdown starts (deep pressure) and then when they start to calm he kisses them until they giggle. It works every time, and how he knew how to do this is beyond me.

Shell

Staff member
So I just realized that Annie has been home for 2 weeks now, and I haven't updated! We love her, she's perfect. Her and Bruce have bonded so well, and Bruce is, as usual, doing awesome. :)

annie6.jpg annie8.jpg anniebruce.jpg annienew5.jpg annienew6.jpg