My baby cobalt blue is climbing glass?

tarantula3898

Arachnopeon
I was told that cobalt blue's don't have the capability to climb glass, but my little guy is doing it as we speak.

Should I be concerned, or was a sold a different spider than I was told it was?

DrGigglez666

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I was told that cobalt blue's don't have the capability to climb glass, but my little guy is doing it as we speak.

Any tarantula can climb i beleive. And most slings will climb but i cant tell you if its a cobalt or not i need a picture.

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer

No, believe me, they can climb glass. Pretty fast too if they want to. I don't know of any T that can't climb glass.

_bob_

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
yes they can climb glass BUT i have noticed most terrestrials are a HARDER time climbing glass when they are in their premolt.

mischaaussems

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
don't let them fool you, they are very fast. My subadult H. lividum female sometimes bearly touches the glass, she's very fast even on glass.

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
yes they can climb glass BUT i have noticed most terrestrials are a HARDER time climbing glass when they are in their premolt.

Some individuals might. My male B. auratum moulted about two days ago and had no trouble at all climbing the cage a week ago.

On the flipside, my A. seemani female sometimes has trouble climbing glass when she's in premoult.

I think she had a problem with a moult that damaged the hairs on her feet because she wasn't able to climb glass the first two moults I had her, but now she's fine.

All my terrestrials climb glass and none of them (with that one exception) have ever had problems climbing while in premoult.

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer

You should be concerned that the person giving you tarantula advice is a moron. Other than that, no, everything is normal here.

jenniferinny

Arachnoknight
Oh, mine climbed pretty well too. Now after having it for a few weeks, it's finally constructed quite the burrow and I only see it when I throw a cricket in.
I doubt you were sold anything but an H. lividum. They aren't that easy to mix up with another species.
I was sold a L. parahybana a few months ago that has turned into a lovely Nhandu Chromatus. Much better color-wise.. Though, I just finally got in some real L parahybana. Cause I really did want a giant spider.

stonemantis

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

Hi,

Tarantulas of all species can climb glass because their tarsus (they might have them on other parts of the legs but, I am not 100% on that one) have little hairs that enable them to stick to most smooth surfaces (if not all). Alot of your true spiders and other spiders lack those hairs on their tarsus and are unable to climb glass.

If you have an old molt try putting a leg under a microscope and you'll see what I'm talking about. It's also fun to do so as well IMO.

tarantula3898

Arachnopeon
Hi,

Tarantulas of all species can climb glass because their tarsus (they might have them on other parts of the legs but, I am not 100% on that one) have little hairs that enable them to stick to most smooth surfaces (if not all). Alot of your true spiders and other spiders lack those hairs on their tarsus and are unable to climb glass.

My Foelix Rainer book says some but not all T's have scopulae hairs on the the entire bottom side of there tarsus and metatarsus(last two end leg segments).

But thanks all for you help. My books only answer so much and I was worried that my first T bought online was a rip off, but so far so good.