my B. Boehmei is unusually calm, should I be worried?

PinoyDude2317

Arachnopeon
Today I got my 4" B. Boehmei and its very calm and moves a bit slow. I even tried handling it and it went on my hand with such ease. Should I be worried or is it normal because I know B. Boehmeis are nervous and flicks hair a lot.

Adam96

Arachnosquire
I wouldn't handle any T's but it's fine if it's calm just know that all handling does is stress the T out

PinoyDude2317

Arachnopeon
I wouldn't handle any T's but it's fine if it's calm just know that all handling does is stress the T out
Yeah I knew that since I started keeping t's but thanks tho. I only tried handling her because she's too calm and I thought its a bit unusual

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
she's too calm and I thought its a bit unusual
It's always possible to end up with an individual that is calmer or more defensive than is typical for the species. An individual's temperament can change after a molt too.

PinoyDude2317

Arachnopeon
It's always possible to end up with an individual that is calmer or more defensive than is typical for the species. An individual's temperament can change after a molt too.
Thanks a lot!! I was a bit worried back there thanks!

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
You should be thankful that the T is calm, mine is VERY skittish, kicks hairs at prey, kicks hairs when I open the enclosure.
I still love it though.

PinoyDude2317

Arachnopeon
You should be thankful that the T is calm, mine is VERY skittish, kicks hairs at prey, kicks hairs when I open the enclosure.
I still love it though.
I'm thankful now knowing that there's nothing wrong with her. I'm quite surprised that my B. Vagans flicks hair more than my Boehmei does.

sasker

Arachnoprince
It could also be that your tarantula is close to a molt. Is she eating at all?

PinoyDude2317

Arachnopeon
Maybe. I tried feeding her last night but she refused. She has a bald spot but her abdomen is not dark.

sasker

Arachnoprince
The darkening of the abdomen takes place about a week or so before the actual molt, but tarantulas usually stop eating and becoming more sluggish long before this happens. My B. hamorii stopped eating 3 months ago and she is becoming increasingly slow and calm.

All in all, there is not much to worry about with your spider. :)
You can try to offer her food, but remove food if she is not eating it and let her be.

PinoyDude2317

Arachnopeon
The darkening of the abdomen takes place about a week or so before the actual molt, but tarantulas usually stop eating and becoming more sluggish long before this happens. My B. hamorii stopped eating 3 months ago and she is becoming increasingly slow and calm.

All in all, there is not much to worry about with your spider. :)
You can try to offer her food, but remove food if she is not eating it and let her be.
I'll keep that in mind thanks a lot!!

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper

Paul1126

Arachnoangel

Walker253

Arachnobaron
I don’t know if I’d refer to B boehmei as nervous. They do kick lots of hairs normally. Those hairs are particularly worse for a reaction that many others. If yours isn’t kicking, enjoy that hairy butt. Things change change on the next molt.
I had a MF H gigas. She was rediculously calm. Literally handleable. I did It a couple times, the guy I sold her to handled her on occasion. Her last molt, she returned to being a typical H gigas. She’s as nasty as the rest of them.
I’m not advocating holding tarantulas, but when you have one like her and the opportunity is there, you take it.