My amblypygi starting to grow!

Nir Avraham

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I don't know why, but since I was a little kid I always dreamed about keeping amblypygi and vinegaroons...
Now I have around 5 different species of amblypygi in my collection...

2.3 Phrynus marginemaculata- 2 females with eggs
35546805_10204663691149446_4759189583512469504_n.jpg
35541648_10204663691309450_8067179309061636096_n.jpg

1.1 Damon variegtus- successfully bred this species over 5-6 times...
35543400_10204663690429428_2903053031991934976_n.jpg

2 years old CB Damon variegatus
35644366_10204663691829463_7271212609439793152_n.jpg

Just received this pair, and I'll probably get another pair from a friend soon...
1.1 Damon medius
35534078_10204663692029468_2214810885317197824_n.jpg

Caught 6 amblypygi in Costa Rica last summer that seems to be Phrynus sp. It looks like I have 1.1.2, but they are still too young to breed. Sorry for the pic, they have really nice red colors but the quality of the picture is bad...
1350.JPG

Receive this baby 2 weeks ago too! I was so excited to get this species:
Euphrynichus cf. amanica!
35841620_10204663691429453_556570075855847424_n.jpg

I hope to get 5 Euphrynichus bacillifer next week, breeding this species will be super cool!

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Nice collection! I love keeping amblypygids, they're probably my favorite arachnid group.

Lithobius

Arachnosquire
These are great! :D
I've found I really like my Phrynus, even more than the Damon I used to have.

schmiggle

Arachnoking
Those are awesome! E. amanica is one of the coolest arachnids of any group.

Just a note--I don't know how to tell the difference, but most amblypygi sold as Damon variegatus are actually D. diadema. Maybe @wizentrop or @Banshee05 can tell?

Nir Avraham

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Those are awesome! E. amanica is one of the coolest arachnids of any group.

Just a note--I don't know how to tell the difference, but most amblypygi sold as Damon variegatus are actually D. diadema. Maybe @wizentrop or @Banshee05 can tell?
I have this pair for about 3 years now. The first thing I checked was if they are Variegatus or not. 100% Damon variegatus.

sschind

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
They are awesome animals. My last batch of D. diadema are just going through their 3rd molt right now (or is it their fourth I suck at record keeping)

I have a pair of Phrynus Marginemaculatus that bred for me once and I still have 8 juveniles from that batch. I am on the lookout for more species now but there doesn't seem to be much variety available here in the US.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
They are awesome animals. My last batch of D. diadema are just going through their 3rd molt right now (or is it their fourth I suck at record keeping)

I have a pair of Phrynus Marginemaculatus that bred for me once and I still have 8 juveniles from that batch. I am on the lookout for more species now but there doesn't seem to be much variety available here in the US.
There are quite a few different species being kept here now, but everyone just has young'uns, so it's going to be a while before any new offspring are for sale. @Philth (probably) has the biggest collection in the US.

sschind

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
There are quite a few different species being kept here now, but everyone just has young'uns, so it's going to be a while before any new offspring are for sale. @Philth (probably) has the biggest collection in the US.
I hope so. Besides the ones I have I'm aware of D medius, D variagatus, H batesi and the Mexican Phrynus ??? that's about it as far as I can recall but honestly I've not actively searched, just going by ads I have seen. I guess for some of the rarer ones you have to dig for them. Thanks for the heads up on Philth. I'll have to keep my eyes open.

aphono

Arachnobaron
Another amblypygi fan here. Enjoying all those pictures. :) Also hoping to expand into other species besides D. diadema, medius.

That's true in the U.S. It seems overseas, variegatus is more available- assuming they're truly variegatus? (I don't know how to tell a true variegatus from pictures plus OP has Asia for location). At least by the pictures from overseas labeled 'variegatus' they seem somewhat different from U.S stock diademas.

IIRC- a major feature is the number of spines on trochanter. variegatus has one, while diadema has two. There's some other differences that are a bit relative- smaller size overall and maybe slimmer pedipalps in variegatus.

Last edited:

Nir Avraham

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I hope so. Besides the ones I have I'm aware of D medius, D variagatus, H batesi and the Mexican Phrynus ??? that's about it as far as I can recall but honestly I've not actively searched, just going by ads I have seen. I guess for some of the rarer ones you have to dig for them. Thanks for the heads up on Philth. I'll have to keep my eyes open.
Those species are been imported to the UK from time to time, so it's not a problem to get them honestly.
Try to get import permit maybe. A friend from the US told me it's not so difficult...

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
From what I've seen offered in the US (semi-recently):

Damon diadema
D. medius
D. variegatus (debatable)
Paraphrynus carolynae
Paraphrynus raptator
Phrynus marginemaculatus

I know some people still have Heterophrynus batesii, and there are a few more species of Phrynus and Paraphrynus floating around too. Acanthophrynus coronatus has finally made it stateside too, so if things go well there should be people offering them within the next few years. A few phrynichids have made it over too. Euphrynichus (I think) and likely others.

sschind

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
From what I've seen offered in the US (semi-recently):

Damon diadema
D. medius
D. variegatus (debatable)
Paraphrynus carolynae
Paraphrynus raptator
Phrynus marginemaculatus

I know some people still have Heterophrynus batesii, and there are a few more species of Phrynus and Paraphrynus floating around too. Acanthophrynus coronatus has finally made it stateside too, so if things go well there should be people offering them within the next few years. A few phrynichids have made it over too. Euphrynichus (I think) and likely others.

thanks for the info. I think Orin had some batesi. Still had 1 male I think a few weeks back. I'll just have to pay more attention.

sschind

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Those species are been imported to the UK from time to time, so it's not a problem to get them honestly.
Try to get import permit maybe. A friend from the US told me it's not so difficult...
Import permits are pretty much out of the question financially if you are only getting a few specimens and I can't afford more than that. From what I gather the biggest expense might be the shipping as they have to be shipped air cargo. I would love to give it a shot though and import a large shipment but I just can't come up with the money right now.

Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack your thread. You've got a nice little collection going

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I've heard that Euphrynichus are a little finicky to keep, so I hope you have a lot of success with them!

schmiggle

Arachnoking
I've heard that Euphrynichus are a little finicky to keep, so I hope you have a lot of success with them!
I've heard that wild-caught specimens are exceedingly delicate (particularly E. amanica), but that captive bred specimens aren't bad. I'm really hoping that turns out to be the case.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I've heard that wild-caught specimens are exceedingly delicate (particularly E. amanica), but that captive bred specimens aren't bad. I'm really hoping that turns out to be the case.
THAT'S what I remember hearing, thanks for the correction! It makes sense with WC individuals since they're stressed from life, shipping, and potentially have a nasty parasite load that'll shorten the lifespan even more.

Nir Avraham

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
THAT'S what I remember hearing, thanks for the correction! It makes sense with WC individuals since they're stressed from life, shipping, and potentially have a nasty parasite load that'll shorten the lifespan even more.
I'm going to get 5 sub-adult WC Euphrynichus bacillifer next week. Hope everything will go as planed. They should be already a couple of years in captivity...

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I'm going to get 5 sub-adult WC Euphrynichus bacillifer next week. Hope everything will go as planed. They should be already a couple of years in captivity...
Ah I'd say if they've been in captivity for a long while and still look good they'll probably be alright.

kylepeach

Arachnopeon
I have this pair for about 3 years now. The first thing I checked was if they are Variegatus or not. 100% Damon variegatus.
Just got 2 Amblys few days ago. They look like D. diadema. How do you differentiate the species?