My Acanthoscurria geniculata is yellow

Matoutou

Tarantula enthusiast
Hello everyone,

I have a young female A. genic who's all yellowish. Have you seen this before?

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Some Ts go through weird color changes with a molt. KezyGLA had a G pulchra with orange legs for a molt. It's now jet black and normal.

Point is, wait for a molt. It will likely go back to normal colors.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Nah, it's fine. Most baby tarantulas actually have very strong reddish coloration on their joints around the carapace and on their legs. This is totally normal. Also, my G. pulchripes's golden knee stripes become a washed-out white color when it's been awhile since its last molt and when it is coming up on another one.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I have ten of these, and three or four are more yellowish banded than white. Some have a reddish carapace, some brown. And these are all from the same sac. Nothing to worry about :)

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Nothing important to add since others already stated everything, except that it's better to have a kinda yellow 'genic' than wake up and find yourself completely yellow like the "Yellow B." of 'Sin City' movie due to Hepatitis.

You can trust me, I have a yellow lovely avatar :)

Kendricks

Arachnoknight
I wanted to read about the cowardly genic. :(
Maybe this will do:
Yesterday I refilled the bottle cup of my juvenile genic.
She was sitting right next to it, but with her back facing it.
When I let the water drip in, she immediately turned around, tagged the pool of water ("FOOD!?" :bucktooth:), realized it's not food, got all confused - and turned into a little ball of terror (stress curl).

*sigh*

:shifty:

Last edited:

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Mg A. genic has rather cream/yellow leg-bands as well. She's around three or four inches. I've wondered if this was common, this thread is the first I've seen mention of it.

Also...if I am ever a spy and need a secret-code sentence when meeting with a fellow spy in some dark alley, it will be "My Acanthoscurria geniculate is yellow." the proper response from the other spy will be "Maybe. But they are a good display tarantula, just beware the itchy hairs." Only then will he receive the classified documents.

keks

Arachnobaron
Why do you have ten A. genics
Europeans have this strange behavior to buy more than one or two slings to make sure that they get minimum one female. Mostly they buy five slings, but sometimes they are not able to get enough, especially when they can get a special offer :troll:.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Because it was an offer....lol. I'm Dutch, remember? If I can get anything for less I'll get it :rofl:
They're slings, all of them, and I must say I quite enjoy taking care of them. It's fascinating to see how colours, demeanor and behaviour differs between one spider and the next.
I won't keep them all of course, I would need a cabinet just for them alone. That time won't be far off either, they grow really fast!
Another interesting aspect is that I can compare behaviour and share results here, like I did in answer to OP. :)

Matoutou

Tarantula enthusiast
She made a molting mat this morning just now she flipped over... Should be molting anytime now... Let's see if she gets less yellow...

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
She made a molting mat this morning just now she flipped over... Should be molting anytime now... Let's see if she gets less yellow...
If it doesnt, you should speak with her about quitting smoking. It can cause all kinds of discoloration. And she'll have a nasty cough! :troll:
Even if it doesnt go away, itll be fine. Just one more of those things that cant be explained.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
I kind of hope mine moults out of that stage. She still looks good, but part of what makes them so striking is the contrast between the white leg-bands and their dark bodies, and as is, her bands are a bit muted.

I just had a thought, in my case maybe the lighting in the room plays a role. A photo with a flash brings out the white, that is certain. I'll take her out into natural light and see what she looks like sometime in the near future.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
When i say "near future" it sometimes means "very near"...

There is some difference under natural light, I think.

Indoors artidificial lighting, no flash: no colour enhancements. I also must factor in the possibility of an incorrect setting for the camera, of course. Naked eye, the bands have a light yellowish, or more accurately, cream-coloured, appearance. But, it is more apparent in the photo along with a sort of pinkish hue, leading me to believe adjusting the camera may make it more true-to-life. The possibility exists that I didn't have the correct setting for the type of lighting.

m_IMG_6119crop.jpg

Indoor, artificial lighting WITH flash. There is a difference, but you can see the colouration being discussed.

m_IMG_6067.jpg

Finally, outside under natural light and as above, no post-production tweaks added apart from cropping:

This one matches closest with what I see naked-eye outdoors. Still not brilliant white, but much closer to it than when indoors. Given the variables, it dawns on me that this was pretty much pointless, but I already invested the time, so it is getting posted nonetheless. :p
m_IMG_6471.jpg
Given the variables I alluded to, it dawns on me that this was pretty much pointless, but I already invested the time, so it is getting posted nonetheless. :p Although the exercise does seem to indicate that in the case of my spider anyway, the tone of the white is at least in part due to the lighting in the room. That is particularly apparent in the first photo. The OP might want to consider taking it outside to see how theirs looks under those conditions.

The genic, I will add, was not pleased with the whole experiment. On the other hand, the neighbour who walked by as I was working on this was bemused to see me out there wearing PJ bottoms and with unkempt hair, hovering with a camera over an enclosure holding a largish by local standards spider. :D

Attachments

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Maybe this will do:
Yesterday I refilled the bottle cup of my juvenile genic.
She was sitting right next to it, but with her back facing it.
When I let the water drip in, she immediately turned around, tagged the pool of water ("FOOD!?" :bucktooth:), realized it's not food, got all confused - and turned into a little ball of terror (stress curl).
Mine won't stop attacking the water, even though she knows it's not food. She will get right in the dish so you can't fill it without dripping water onto her.

Then if you don't put actual food in there, she "pouts" in the corner.

You can buy pallets of genics at Costco.