MSN Bad Reporting

Stirmi

Arachnosquire
i couldnt make it past saying how pokies are related to south american goliath bird eaters

bugarella

Arachnosquire
I like how the majority of the video was clips of the old arachniphobia movie. As soon as I heard venomous poison and the bit about being related to the bird eater, I lost it.

nicolevins

Arachnopeon
Oh well. :) You can't expect the average person to know or care of the differences between poisonous vs venomous. I didn't know until I began researching arachnids. No one specifically told me. Plus, tarantulas are tarantulas, typically all the same thing, to the non-enthusiast. They couldn't care less about their differences.

Dark

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks folks for the agreement and shared angry sympathies.

Oh well. :) You can't expect the average person to know or care of the differences between poisonous vs venomous. I didn't know until I began researching arachnids. No one specifically told me. Plus, tarantulas are tarantulas, typically all the same thing, to the non-enthusiast. They couldn't care less about their differences.
I don't expect the average person to know anything but I do believe journalists and news stations should be obligated to do at least a few minutes worth of fact checking before broadcasting potential lies. They don't even cite any freaking sources!

I could rant for hours and hours but I don't have the energy, so I'm going to just stick to my original reaction - pissed.

Eric

PeaceBee

Arachnoknight
I thought all poison was venomous. :sarcasm:
I hate it when ignorance is perpetuated... But people really like those sensationalist headlines and to be horrified by things they don't understand. I don't really get it.

EightLeggedFreaks

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I don't know... I think both theirs and our ignorance goes hand in hand. We specialize in this field, we do research, we make sure we know what we are doing. I think you guys need to cut some people some slack. It's a damn montage of clips from a movie.

As an Electrician, I have to deal with people daily that think they know what they are talking about when they really don't. Are there ignorant in the fact that they use miss informed information? No, they are just simply uneducated in the field.

My two cents, take it or leave it. :) As for the video, could care less. Why get pissed off over something so menial.

Naga

Arachnopeon
Yeah. That introductory line simply screams that the people who made this are just making something, and knows little about it. It actually seems as though they were saying "We're reporting the news, but we know we're going to botch some of it, so we'll at least give a warning first," and if that's the case, then it's definitely a good disclaimer. Still... I don't think any of my tarantulas were amused at watching it :laugh:

Dark

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I don't know... I think both theirs and our ignorance goes hand in hand. We specialize in this field, we do research, we make sure we know what we are doing. I think you guys need to cut some people some slack. It's a damn montage of clips from a movie.

As an Electrician, I have to deal with people daily that think they know what they are talking about when they really don't. Are there ignorant in the fact that they use miss informed information? No, they are just simply uneducated in the field.

My two cents, take it or leave it. :) As for the video, could care less. Why get pissed off over something so menial.
That's what I'm worried about, how much false information do we receive on a daily basis because of flat out lies being reported as news? We are only catching these mistakes because we are specifically interested but I wonder how much of what I know is even true. My whole life might be a lie!

Love the start of it "Video may contain unverified claim"
Haha, I didn't even see that at all. Now I'm slightly less pissed.

Kaltheory:
lol indeed.

Thanks for the responses everyone.

Eric

captmarga

Arachnobaron
What I posted to FB: "Please don't post the "spider nightmare" clip from MSNon my page. I saw it, I know about the new pokie species (2012). It's sensationalism, as usual. At least they did put in that it's not life-threatening. After the loss of my best friend this week, I'm just not in the mood to deal with media silliness."

Marga

jarmst4

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Liberal media doesn't get much right. Doesn't surprise me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Will240393

Arachnopeon
This just sums up that time i read a news story about a rose hair found in someone's garden i'm pretty sure one of the lines went something like 'Chilean rose hairs are deadly arachnids that can blind you by spitting hairs at you're eyes'.

lancej

Arachnolord
Liberal media doesn't get much right. Doesn't surprise me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
I completely agree! Most news is run for entertainment value over factuality. If it doesn't fit their agenda, they either won't run it or they spin it to fit. Makes me sick.