Mr T is not acting right?

mersch

Arachnopeon
Help: Mr T ( a rosie) is drawn up, he is alive. He molted last july, could he be molting again? Really don't know if he is a he or a she. have had him 3 years, don't know his age. could just be his time is up? When he molted last july I was out of town, so did not see him go through it. He will raise up when touched, very little movement, almost looks like breathing. A few nights ago he was laying new webbing, doing what I call his happy dance. Any ideas on what is going on?

Curious jay

Arachnodemon
Help: Mr T ( a rosie) is drawn up, he is alive. He molted last july, could he be molting again? Really don't know if he is a he or a she. have had him 3 years, don't know his age. could just be his time is up? When he molted last july I was out of town, so did not see him go through it. He will raise up when touched, very little movement, almost looks like breathing. A few nights ago he was laying new webbing, doing what I call his happy dance. Any ideas on what is going on?
Try posting a few picture it will give a clearer understanding of what your trying explain, does it have boxing glove type palpable? If so then you have a mature male and chances are hes come to the end of his lifespan.

I like the name too Mr T... Simple yet effective lol

Prometheus

Arachnoknight
Hard to tell from the blurry photos but the legs do looked curled under. Can't make out the palps to see if it is a male. What is the leg span of it? Definitively need more info to properly diagnose sex and condition...

mersch

Arachnopeon
Sorry pics aren't clearer, my cell phone doesn't take great pics, no other camera

---------- Post added 03-25-2012 at 05:32 PM ----------

leg span is 4.0 inches his/her legs are drawn up under him, looks like the main part of him has gotten smaller, lost weight type. When taking the pics he tried raising a leg, but it just moved but couldnt get it off the ground. His full name is Mr. T the dinosaurian tarantula (my grandson named him)

---------- Post added 03-25-2012 at 05:46 PM ----------

this sucks, only because my grandson just got out of the hospital after 2 weeks from a ruptured appendix, and had complications on top of that. He is one of the ones that his appendix rupturing could of turned out not so good, was in ICU for the whole time, allergies to most of the meds he had, then it abcessed, is at home finally, with a picc line for his antibiotics. He asked me to bring Mr T over so he could watch him while his antibiotics run through- (takes about an hour and a half once a day for the next two weeks). Damn!

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You need to put it into an ICU, that is a death curl. While it is in the ICU, research proper setups for G. rosea. There are many things you need to correct before returning that T to its enclosure or purchasing a new one.

What are you using to hydrate it?

mersch

Arachnopeon
Did the search function on here for ICU and ICU for G. rosea-came up with nothing- help? I havent, should I lightly mist him? Only moved his water closer.....

---------- Post added 03-25-2012 at 07:47 PM ----------

ok, found a site on-line, said to put him in a tupperware container with wet paper towels in it, and put his water bowl in if there is room- only container I have is just regular plastic, washed it well, lined with wet paper towels, and placed him on it, but not room for his bowl............. thanks any other suggestions?

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If it is indeed dehydrated, you can gently turn it on its back and place a single drop of water on the mouth to see if it will take it. If it sucks the drop of water in, then give it another.
Or, you could use something like a plastic lid for canned dog food (something very shallow) with water in it, gently tip the mouth parts of the T into the water, being sure not to get the abdomen with the booklungs into the water.

When did it eat last?
Can you see if there are hooks on the underside of the front legs? Do the pedipalps look like boxing gloves on the ends, bulbous looking?

mersch

Arachnopeon
last ate 2 weeks ago, was time to feed again. the pedipalps don't look bulbous-but he little shrunk looking right now for him., no hooks on the legs. have had him 3 years. when I turned him on his back, he moved more than he's done since this morning. Me is just thinking I do have a male, and well............since he wasnt so little when I got him............but I just have to try.........had T's 20-30 years ago(1st one since then)..........I keep him in a large critter keeper, he drinks well, never feed any live caught crickets, in case of insecticide use from neighboring area. He never liked anything to "hide " in, so took it out. Likes to re arrange his home on occasion-been a good T, no bites, only zapped with hairs once, don't hold him a lot like I use to way back when, usually when cleaning his cage or to show the kids.

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
last ate 2 weeks ago, was time to feed again. the pedipalps don't look bulbous-but he little shrunk looking right now for him., no hooks on the legs. have had him 3 years. when I turned him on his back, he moved more than he's done since this morning. Me is just thinking I do have a male, and well............since he wasnt so little when I got him............but I just have to try.........had T's 20-30 years ago(1st one since then)..........I keep him in a large critter keeper, he drinks well, never feed any live caught crickets, in case of insecticide use from neighboring area. He never liked anything to "hide " in, so took it out. Likes to re arrange his home on occasion-been a good T, no bites, only zapped with hairs once, don't hold him a lot like I use to way back when, usually when cleaning his cage or to show the kids.
Why do you think it is a male?

Being that it does not have the hooks or modified palps, it is not a mature male. In which case, it is not on it's way out due to being a male. On the other hand, it could be a female on its way out.

tarantulagirl10

Arachnobaron
That t is in bad shape. I would get him in an icu. You can get a deli cup type thing, cool whip bowl or something like that. Put damp paper towels in the bottom, put a very shallow water dish in if you can fit one. You can try to put his/her mouthparts over the dish. Make sure not to put his book lungs in the water. Put him in a warm dark place and leave him be. I have also heard of people having luck by taking them into the bathroom and letting the shower run for about 10 mins. If I were you I would turn him over and drip water into his mouth. That takes some time but I have seen it help. Then, put him in an icu and leave him be. If he comes back, you need to get rid of that substrate, put some EcoEarth or peat in (lots of it) a hide and a full water dish.

mersch

Arachnopeon
Already cleaned and washed out his housing.Will get new substate tomorrow. I have had 2 different hides for him/her over the past 3 years.......he doesn't every use them, lol. The most Mr t every did with them was fill the last one up the last time he re arranged things, then hung out on the other side for 5 months!!!! Was able to find a small lid to work in his ICU for the water since his bowl wouldnt fit. (yeah, I know, if he could be a she, by the name bestowed on "him" its a him, LOL. On a another note, my daughter told my grandson that I couldnt bring Mr T over cause he was sick and had to be in tarantula ICU. I went over this evening when my daughter had to call the oncall picc/IV nurse for a problem with his picc line. He was telling the nurses about Mr T. in spider ICU, just like he was, LOL. The nurses (2 came out) and my son-in-law were like, you are doing what? for your spider? LOL Alex told them, "well, it is grandmas pet, and she takes care of her pets, just like her cat! Wouldn't you?" Bought him from a pet store who had a, well, issue with keeping their T's alive, felt sorry for the new arrival, thinking he would die like their others, so my grandson and I bought him. I am pretty anal about his substrate, feeding schedule, where I get his crickets, water from the pure filter, no one but no one is allowed to hold him without my permission-ever! So far the only ones who really ever want to are my daughter and step daughter on occasion, and then just to show the kids-who would rather not hold him at this time. the kids are ok with sitting on the floor, and letting him crawl on their legs if they have pants on, and thats about it! (they have a little fear of holding him, which is fine for now) then they are like, ok, done now, can you take him off? That only happens every few months or so,Is it time for him to eat? They would rather watch him eat! So when feeding time rolls around, I usually have at least one of kids over for the "event"
I really hope that this will pull him out, time will tell. Thanks for the responses!

mersch

Arachnopeon
Update this late afternoon: Mr T. seems more "perky', as in more movement when I took the lid off after work to check on him , down side, the last 2 segments of each of his legs seem smaller and darker.

mersch

Arachnopeon
0327122141.jpg Much better! think I can upgrade Mr T from ICU to CCU status tonight! More movement, like when I first took off the lid! Front legs were extended before I moved him also! Not so shriveled all around! Yippie!!! Changed his ICU "sheets" tonight, put him in his critter keeper while changing the paper towels and washing it out. Take a look!

mersch

Arachnopeon
Yes, he is! and back in his ICU room, coolest part of the house, lower level, in the corner, only a very small north facing window, with a curtain. Just wanted to make sure no mold starts. Took maybe not even 2 minutes,(including snapping the pic) at the most, had it all set up, and ready before changing his "sheets"!