Mr. Baumgarten, is this your bug?

Dave

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
She was labeled boehemei, but I'm really starting to think she's a baumgarteni. What do you think.

Dave

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Score one for baumgarteni! Thanks! Anyone else care to cast your vote? Any baumgarteni experts that can possibly point out characteristics unique to this species?

Dave

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Just found it before seeing the post. lol Thanks!

metallica

Arachnoking
Old Timer
why not make a clear picture of a metatarsus and be sure?

Dave

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Here is the metatarsus

It's a little subtle in the picture, but it is outlined in black, then a duller reddish, and finally a deeper red center tapering down to a point.

Dave

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Is it only on leg IV? This is leg II. I'll check leg IV

---------- Post added 06-09-2013 at 09:28 AM ----------

I checked leg IV and it has it! I'll put a picture up later when I have some time.

metallica

Arachnoking
Old Timer
the marking is on all legs. I just use leg IV on my site because it is easy to photograph.

Dave

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Here is a clearer picture

What do you think, Eddy?

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Here is a clearer picture

What do you think, Eddy?
I mentioned to you that it is baumgarteni. Why is it so hard for you or anyone to accept that! Do you have doubts?

Jose
www.exoskeletoninverts.com
support@exoskeletoninverts.com

---------- Post added 06-09-2013 at 05:15 PM ----------

And it is not just leg 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 that you have to look for to know wether it is baumgarteni or not. I'm going to post in the next couple of hours of my 6" inch female baumgarteni. I will posted on my thread if anyone cares to look at it I'm not going to wait until she molts so I will just take the picture and be done with the thread! Your spider is still young it will not have the full detail as of an adult baumgarteni I have said this before I have explain what to look for. Sure one of the first signs of being a baumgarteni is the dark carapace etc!!!!! I have showed pictures of the boehmei and baumgarteni between the sizes of 3.5" to 4" inches. Plus if you really want to show you spider better take the picture with out the flash. A lot of people won't truly observe what is the difference between any of them with the flash of your camera..... I can tell cause I know what to look for, it is very hard for me to explain I'm not very good of explaining things when I'm writting. If anyone or yourself would like to ask me by phone call me! I will be more than happy to explain it better by phone. 801 809 6128 please feel free to call.....

Jose

Last edited:

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
I mentioned to you that it is baumgarteni. Why is it so hard for you or anyone to accept that! Do you have doubts?
While I am no Brachy expert, I guess I would say I have doubts about you making such a confirmation when just a few weeks ago you were trying to gain confirmation on specimens you had in your possession. I would question anyone such a short time later being so confident based on just a couple pics posted online.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
While I am no Brachy expert, I guess I would say I have doubts about you making such a confirmation when just a few weeks ago you were trying to gain confirmation on specimens you had in your possession. I would question anyone such a short time later being so confident based on just a couple pics posted online.
If you have read thru the thread it was a confusion more of this species being mislabeled as boehmei. I was 99 percent sure that the spiders I bought were not boehmei when I bought them they were between 1.5 " to 2.5" inches. So at that size I did not have a boehmei next to me that I could compare it with, until they started to get older. Now that one of them reach the size of 3.5" inch baumgarteni immature male I was able to compare with my 4" inch female boehmei so at this point i was able to compare it even better and confirm the two different species. Does this make it a little clearer?

Jose

---------- Post added 06-09-2013 at 06:16 PM ----------

Photos don't lie! And my confirmation is based on the specimens that I have with me in different sizes not just photos.

Jose

Last edited:

moose35

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
you guys should listen to Eddy (metallica) on the identification of that spider.
i'm pretty sure he knows what he is saying.

some of you guys are good at chasing the REAL experts away from this board.

moose

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
Honestly, no, because I am of the opinion a bit more than differences in coloration need to be examined to make a definitive statement. But then I have zero stake in this.

Edit: and while photos may not lie, they can certainly mislead.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
you guys should listen to Eddy (metallica) on the identification of that spider.
i'm pretty sure he knows what he is saying.

some of you guys are good at chasing the REAL experts away from this board.

moose
I provided and as Dave provided two photos one of mine that is at 3.5" inches in size of an immature male and the one that Dave provided I believe he said his is a female at 4.5", so at this point of the two spiders his will have a little bit more in detail than mine. On my thread I posted photos of my 6" inch female baumgarteni from the front view, side view and back view. Take a look if you have not seen it. Again Dave's and mine has not reach the size of my big female baumgarteni so it will look different. There is little data or no data at all at the size of the baumgarteni that I posted this is why I wrote the size of my immature male baumgarteni so in the future someone could have some sort of information at this size.

Jose

---------- Post added 06-09-2013 at 07:12 PM ----------

Honestly, no, because I am of the opinion a bit more than differences in coloration need to be examined to make a definitive statement. But then I have zero stake in this.

Edit: and while photos may not lie, they can certainly mislead.
It is not just the coloration I believe that I mention before he is getting some detail of what the baumgarteni looks like as an adult. Look how many times in the past that the brown rose hair was consider the same species as the red rosé hair, the coloration of the two spiders are completely different of them two. Here is another it makes me wonder how many people have A. geniculata when they probably have A. brocklehursti, coloration are pretty much almost identical if not they are identical but the markings of the two are different. So therefore the boehmei and the baumgarteni are almost identical in color but as both species get older the color of the two are totally different and the markings between the two changes from one of the other. You have to give this species a chance to grow up to show its identity better. I already know what I have so if the photos are not good enough than so be it. I know that I will be breeding my male baumgarteni with my female baumgarteni. Someone else that have this exact spider and thinks that is a boehmei and want to breed with the real boehmei that would be crossbreeding....

Jose

---------- Post added 06-09-2013 at 07:20 PM ----------

This thread needs to be combined with my thread or vice versa since it is about the same topic. Also if I started my thread as hey check out my beautiful baumgarteni most of you would probably say that is a beautiful spider I wish I had one of those. I would say maybe one of you would say what makes you think that is a baumgarteni? And this is my answer to that what make you think you have a mesomelas and not a peterklaasi?

Jose

Last edited:

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
Without better confirmation, I would say you potentially are crossbreeding, too. I myself would abstain, but that is your call. *shrug*