Moving up to OW terrestials

Duss321

Arachnopeon
Hey guys i got a question. I would like to move up to OW terrestial T's. Specially the H. lividum, which was the main reason i got into the hobby.

Just a list of my current T's as a reference:
Adults/ juvies:
- 3 B. smithi's
- 1 G. pulchripes
- 1 C. elegans
- 1 C. ritae
- 1 H. incei
- 1 P. regalis
- 1 P. metallica
- 2 P. irminia's

Slings:
- 1 C. cyaneopubescens
- 1 H. triseriatus
- 1 A. Versicolor
- 1 T. gigas

So yeah i was wondering which would be like a bridge for crossing to OW terrestial/burrowers. Or "starter OW's" Same as the Psalmopoeus and Tapinauchenius is for the arboreal species.
I was thinking of Ceratogyrus marshalli or an Ephebopus cyanognathus.
But before i purchase them i was wondering what you guys think of it and looking for advice.

Thanks in advance :)

Python

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Lividums are pet holes so pretty much a jar of dirt would be a good crossover lol. Seriously though, theu do have an attitude but if you can deal with pokies and irminias you can deal with lividums no problem

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
Yeah, if you can deal woth Poecis and Psalmos, you can deal with an H lividum. I suppose you could get an Ephebopus sp or Ceratogyrus sp, but I think you should have the experience to move on to Haplopelmas.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
My lividum are usually out, waiting for a meal. Never had them make a fast dash outside their cages. They're not hard to work with given your experience.

There are other Asian terrestrials that are faster and more prone to running out of their cages.

Duss321

Arachnopeon
Well my Pokies and Psalmo's are all pretty calm, and not defensive at all. They usually run towards their hide or freeze and stay put. I helped a freind with an OBT transfer and that thing was like a demon, running around and throwing threat postures when cornered. I was kind of unprepared for that. But managed to transfer it none the less.

ReclusiveDemon

Arachnosquire
I would think that you would have sufficient experience considering the tarantulas you have already worked with. Of course, if you still feel uncomfortable with the prospect of an H. lividum, then I would recommend something from the Ephebopus genus. Both genera comprise of humidity-loving, fast-moving, bitey burrowers, but since Ephebopus are new world T's, their venom isn't anywhere as bad as H. lividum's.

korg

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I would suggest Eucratoscelus pachypus as a good intro to OW terrestrials... as many people have said, though, you are already keeping extremely quick and venomous species that should have you prepared for pretty much anything.

scorpionchaos

Arachnosquire
I have both a C.marshali sling and a Emurinussling and really like them a lot (both are pet wholes at the moment though) but like every body else who has already replied to this thread- If you can keep a Pokie than tarantula world is your oyster.

I second E.murinus as a way to prepare for fast pet holes, it would be a good way to boost your confidence, prepare you and just to own another T :p