Moving to Australia, with Tarantulas?

fscorpion

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
AussieTkeeper said:
All parcel packages, mail etc get scanned by customs before coming into australia and if they find and <EDIT> thats not supposed to be in the post it get destroyed and the person who sent it fined some cases jail time.

so try and do it legally.
How can they penalize me if I send something to Australia? Will they send a patrol over here????

azra3l

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
they wont need to. they just phone US (or whatever) customs and say scratch our back and we will scratch your's. an hour later you have "the man" knocking on your door.

AussieTkeeper

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
im not sure on the rules but i think they use your owns countrys law enforcment and deal with you that way. (it has been done before)

also i pretty sure all package get scanned and most get fumigated as well i now the food stuff does they select batchs and if the batchs are contaimeted then the whole lot gets fumigated or destroyed i sure a doco on it

thats really basic answer but as i said before i no expert on it and yeah stuff does get through but they try to stop as much as they can.

look try it if you want but if you get catch dont be surprised on how harsh the customs guys can be ;) personally i would love to see you make it with a few (i would love 1 or 20 of your aboreals lol

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
The loophole for all females MIGHT work. Problem is, we also have a few males we're very attached to. I also am moving my collection down to two species (T. blondi and A. versicolor) and want to keep breeding those.

Hmmm... I have lots of work to do, it seems.

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
fscorpion said:
How many do you have? I also think it is close to impossible to import them legally, <EDIT>
Please refrain from suggesting or recommending illegal options on this board. It is not an acceptable practice. This statement is being made publicly so that everyone is aware of the position of the owners and moderators of Arachnoboards.

Blasphemy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah, who knows what aussie wildlife regulator may end up seeing this thread and if so, you might not have any chance at all of legally importing your pets.

fscorpion

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
AussieTkeeper said:
im not sure on the rules but i think they use your owns countrys law enforcment and deal with you that way. (it has been done before)

also i pretty sure all package get scanned and most get fumigated as well i now the food stuff does they select batchs and if the batchs are contaimeted then the whole lot gets fumigated or destroyed i sure a doco on it

thats really basic answer but as i said before i no expert on it and yeah stuff does get through but they try to stop as much as they can.

look try it if you want but if you get catch dont be surprised on how harsh the customs guys can be ;) personally i would love to see you make it with a few (i would love 1 or 20 of your aboreals lol

I send a big :clap: to your country’s import rules, but I think most of the problems (like with rabbits, Opuntia's...and other imported “pests” and plants that I don't know) is that they arrive in quantities with other stuff, like bananas, other plants...I mean, how can you control all that!? Those "pests" have a bigger adaptation possibility than your native species and soon become dominant, that is a big problem, but sincerely I think it is a process that cannot be stopped, they can just slow it down...it is sad but it is happening in the whole world...Some African or Asian Tarantulas could become really a problem if released in the wild in Australia as the could probably become dominant and jeopardize the local species...I know many keepers are responsible, but accidents happen and the effects of that could be enormous...if I lose a tarantula here in the wild, well, poor tarantula :}
<EDIT>Do you have exotic pet stores there or you sell only local species of wild animals???

Last edited by a moderator:

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Blasphemy said:
Yeah, who knows what aussie wildlife regulator may end up seeing this thread and if so, you might not have any chance at all of legally importing your pets.
No, that is not the reason. The reason is that promoting, recommending or suggesting illegal activity is not to be condoned, period! It has nothing to do with reducing the chances of someone getting caught, it has to do with keeping things above board here on the site.

Blasphemy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yes I know, I was just pointing out another possible problem arising from his comments.

fscorpion

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Windchaser said:
Please refrain from suggesting or recommending illegal options on this board. It is not an acceptable practise. This statement is being made publicly so that everyone is aware of the position of the owners and moderators of Arachnoboards.
Yes, I agree, but it is so sad to leave your pet :( :( :( and I thought of that as a solution if nothing else works...not a good idea probably... :embarrassed: :8o
Anyway, you don't have to consider it really illegal...I mean, how many times people bring something that it is not quite "legal" (an orange, a piece of meat) no harm done...so, one tiny little not fecundated pet female what harm can be done??? :p

Ewok

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Yeah that would be tough to have to leave your tarantulas, how many do you have Eternal? But I can understand why Australian Goverment dosen't want non- native tarantulas, they would thrive in Austrailas diverse ecosystems.

But just think you can keep Austrailian tarantulas whereas we can't :)

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
-palau- said:
Yeah that would be tough to have to leave your tarantulas, how many do you have Eternal? But I can understand why Australian Goverment dosen't want non- native tarantulas, they would thrive in Austrailas diverse ecosystems.

But just think you can keep Austrailian tarantulas whereas we can't :)
I'd be happy to get six of them in. My fianceé would want to bring around ten.

As for the Ausie ones, no thanks. I'm not a fan of old world species. ;)

arachnoguy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
are there any schools in the area with which you are moving to? you could always send them as scientific specimens, that usually gets around most customs problems. i have had things shipped direct to me at the local college which i attend without any troubles. and if you need a viable study to actually present to someone go with something studying the lifespan of a certain t therefore you don't have to worry about ever really ending your study or having your t's destroyed when the study is done.

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
arachnoguy said:
and if you need a viable study to actually present to someone go with something studying the lifespan of a certain t therefore you don't have to worry about ever really ending your study or having your t's destroyed when the study is done.
Hi,
This is a great idea, glasd to see people thinking about this :) BUT, as with the other studies on tarantula lifespans (Martha Yanez is living here now, and working with over 500 live Brachypelma spp.) in Australia, the specimens need to be housed in a quarrantine facility, for their LIFESPANS. Then, they are burned. No breeding can take place and she is govt. funded!! The cost of keeping in a quarrantine facility is huge.

Down here the authorities take their exotic animals VERY seriously, we are the harshest on the planet for animal quarrantine.

So, good idea, but unfortunately that won't work in this situation :)

Cheers,
Steve

AussieTkeeper

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
fscorpion said:
Yes, I agree, but it is so sad to leave your pet :( :( :( and I thought of that as a solution if nothing else works...not a good idea probably... :embarrassed: :8o
Anyway, you don't have to consider it really illegal...I mean, how many times people bring something that it is not quite "legal" (an orange, a piece of meat) no harm done...so, one tiny little not fecundated pet female what harm can be done??? :p
Well alot of harm could be done actually there are this tiny bug that destroys bannana crops and we have to insure that they dont get into australia because it would cripple our bananna plantations, also if they let in one female what next just one of this and one of that before you know it everythings coming in (i dont think you guys understand just how hard the customs guys work to prevent this stuff from getting in)

AussieTkeeper

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
TheEternal said:
I'd be happy to get six of them in. My fianceé would want to bring around ten.

As for the Ausie ones, no thanks. I'm not a fan of old world species. ;)
If you dont like the Aussie T then if you move to Australia then except to not keep T's any more as i doubt the goverment well let you bring them in.

Jason

arachnoguy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Steve Nunn said:
Hi,
This is a great idea, glasd to see people thinking about this :) BUT, as with the other studies on tarantula lifespans (Martha Yanez is living here now, and working with over 500 live Brachypelma spp.) in Australia, the specimens need to be housed in a quarrantine facility, for their LIFESPANS. Then, they are burned. No breeding can take place and she is govt. funded!! The cost of keeping in a quarrantine facility is huge.

Down here the authorities take their exotic animals VERY seriously, we are the harshest on the planet for animal quarrantine.

So, good idea, but unfortunately that won't work in this situation :)

Cheers,
Steve
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
Damn and I thought CA had crazy restrictions. I just read through all the restrictions that Austalia has and what CA has and Australia has tons more restrictions.

Might you just move there and leave your pets with friends? Can you get an importers licence maybe? The only solution may be to leave your old friendly t's for some local Aussie t's. :( :( :(

Ewok

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
What part of Australia are you moving to ? I think that would be so cool to live there! I would be flying over to New Zealand too and find out if hobbits are actually real or not lol.

but I guess if you can't braing any tarantulas in, you could pick up some other hobby like Knitting or button collecting :drool:

for me, choosing another new hobby was a toss up between collecting buttons and keeping tarantulas.. I finnally chose tarantulas, it was a tough choice though.

Just joking :rolleyes: