Movie clip of A. genic catching 12 crickets...

AlanMM

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
This is how i feed my A. geniculata.
I just throw in 12 crickets... always fun the see her getting them all...
Defenitly the biggest eater i got...

<< click me >>

(if the clip hangs, just right click it and choose: save target as...)

It's a wmv file, 7Mb.

Socrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
:eek: OMG! :eek: THAT was awesome! Thank you SO much for sharing that terrific video.

:( It makes me a bit sad, too cause my Genic has NOT been eating at all after his last molt - and he's SO skinny.

---
Wendy
---

Jakob

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Very nice! One question though - How did you get a 2 and a half minute clip to be only 7MB?

Later,

Jake

calestus

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
WMV files are small....and you can further compress it if you snag windows media encoder....also i didnt notice any sound

usumbaraboy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
that was the coolest 2 1/3 mins of my life. but just a question why was she spinning in a circle? iv never seen any of my t's do that.

Gir

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
usumbaraboy said:
that was the coolest 2 1/3 mins of my life. but just a question why was she spinning in a circle? iv never seen any of my t's do that.
Feeeding mat, all of my T's do that too.

MilkmanWes

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Making a feeding mat probably. Notice the abdomen dipping and the spinnerets wiggling there?

usumbaraboy said:

Raindog

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
That enclosure looks very small, do most folks here keep their bugs in such close confines? Great video, by the way.

cichlidsman

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Raindog said:
That enclosure looks very small, do most folks here keep their bugs in such close confines? Great video, by the way.
I seen alot of people do this, But i like to give my spiders a little more leg room

Gir

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Raindog said:
They like to "feel the walls around them". Too much space is wasted as T's will usually remain in one area of a large enclosure, well females at least. The way I house them is roughly..god how the hell am I going to describe this..well about 4-5 lengths of the spider fully stretrched out for length, and 3-4 lengths for the width...more hight obviously for arboreals. Anything else is really overkill unless you want it for display purposes.

usumbaraboy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
thats really neat. none of my tarantulas spin in a circle when they eat. weird. but yet mine are just weird anyways lol. but thats still really cool. how long did it take her to get all of them. cause i only saw her get like 7 not 12.

Ultimate Instar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think that you need to take into account the size of the T. A lot of people recommend 4-5 times the T's length for the tank length, and 2-3 times for the tank width. However, if you happen to have a big T. blondi, that's 5 feet by 3 feet, which is rather large. I like to put my juvenile Ts in large cages that will be appropriate for their adult sizes, but a 5'x3' cage for a T. blondi is overkill, IMO.

Karen N.

xelda

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Oh, okay. I think I get it. By spinning around in circles, she was putting out silk that would basically function as tripwire. That way she could "feel" the crickets that were behind her. Is that what a feeding mat is, or am I totally off here?

Hello, I'm new here, by the way. Well, new to tarantulas.

AlanMM

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
@ Jake:
I first take the video file who is an avi file, i cut the sound (don't need that) with virtual dub and last i re-encode the file to 750K video with windows media encoder...
@ Phoenixx:
There temperament is great... :) they arent really defensive, but they see everything that enters there home as food, thats why they are not really a beginners species...
@ Raindog:
I think that the eclosure will do fine just till the next molt... she seems happy in that enclosure... only moving when its for food... otherwise she just sits on her bark...

Here is a closeup of her doing circles for laying a mat or to hold all the crickets together, and here u can see she got all the crickets :)

<< Click Me >>

luther

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Great feeding movie! The guys here at work enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing. I prefer to give my large Ts larger prey like roaches, but I can see your genic had fun there. Nice looking specimen too.

Tank size looks the same as I keep my adults in. The don't need more. Anything bigger is for your benefit, not theirs (IMHO).

The feeding mat is a double function table cloth and food wrapper. Food breaks up as it's eaten, so it needs to be wrapped up every now and then to keep it in one handy ball. The tarantula spins the mat after catching it's prey, drops the food in the middle, webs over it and then picks it up again. Here's a couple of (big) pictures of my rosea doing it.

http://www.team17.com/oldbrowsermenu/sp/pedipalps used to position food on floor.JPG

http://www.team17.com/oldbrowsermenu/sp/webbing food (feeding dance).JPG

Last edited:

priZZ

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
And I think, to feed the T with 12 crickets, is totally unnatural...

Or You think they get 12 crickets at one time in the nature???

Maybe they can get 5-6 crickets in a month, or just one in a month, it is random.

Powerfeeding is great, right? :D

behemoth

Arachnopeon
The great thing about this species is that even when they are young they are this ravenous. Mine is only about 3.5 inches and it is just as psycho when it comes to food.

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
Hey Allen (If i remember your name correctly from our meeting at "VandeVen" :D ;) )

nice video-clip,...

i assume that's not the sling i once gave you with the brach.Bouhmi,... now is it :eek: ;)

Cheers

cichlidsman

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
behemoth said:
The great thing about this species is that even when they are young they are this ravenous. Mine is only about 3.5 inches and it is just as psycho when it comes to food.
I have a 1" rosea and it usualy eats 2 crickets(the same size as it self)everyweek. Yesterday it never ate so im thinking, Molt.