Moved my A. geniculata in her new Enclosure

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well I made a custom enclosure for my A. geniculata. This is the second custom one I have constructed.(The first is a for a GBB) It has tecnically 3 floors. I have planned this moment far before I even had the genic. I had faith that I would find my desired female and I did... a 4" beauty. I did start a thread on this design so there are more details on its construction.
Well after I got her she was in a temporary enclosure untill I monitored the new one temps and humidity as I had to make enough holes to ventillate at the same time hold a little humidity because I made a lexan/plexi top. Well I removed the screen and replaced it with a custom cut piece of Plexi. It helps to monitor cause last week I had to strip the viv because of some white mold growing. I added live Moss initially and it was touching the wood. Well it began to grow a little moss. So no moss or wet plants in the enclosure. Just fake ones. Less hassle, less maintenace. For lighting I use White LED light discs found at Ikea so no heat is emitted. Not much anyway.

While moving her, she did get me with hairs (and they are potent! For some reason I had a little swelling on my fingers) but all went well. She did attack at first but I think because she thought it was a food item. She has always been quick to get crickets.
I Wanted to share my pics. I think she adapted really nicely. She walks all over it exploring. But so far 100% visable at all times in different places. :worship: :D

I'm moving her in.

I showed her the water dish first. Since its on the second floor I wanted her to know where it is. (She likes to poop there and noticed she drinks alot)

Eating her first meal home

Close up of my beauty

Heres the top. I do this with all my enclosures, even KK

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Nice

As you may remember, I don't agree w/ you on the usefullness of exo-terras but even so, you've outfitted this one quite nicely. I think you'll find that now you've gotten rid of the live plants a lot of other problems go away with them. Moisture/humidity control becomes so much simpler when you don't need to worry about keeping plants watered.

Nice job!

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Pictures just don't do justice.
Heres a upward side shot of the first floor. You can see the angled tree root I added to give a slope for the genic to climb on. The first floor is shaded by the trees I made. Inspiration for this idea was from the many pictures I researched of Brazilian forests. Light still pass through the leaves. There are dark spots to give the tarantula more sense of security. And the large cave for a retreat. This is the floor with the most floor space.

Her using it.

Heres the scond floor. Also shaded by some tree leaves but only around the water dish area. I also read that putting plants near the water dish that partly shades it can give it a sense of security. Since its in the front of the enclosure it gives me easy access without disturbing her (and saving me from those hairs :embarrassed: ). Towards the back of this floor it has a partial darkspot and clear ceiling that leads to the third sloped floor.
(You can see the third sloped floor clearly in the very first picture.)

daniel15

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
great job on the enclosure! your genic will be so happy in her new enclosure. hehe great pics too! tnx for sharing

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Everytime I look at her she's in a different spot. She has sat in almost every inch of the inclosure including the cork wall. I think i really did good on this one. I did get alot of negative when I first brought up the idea but I think its a complete success!

daniel15

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
it was a complete success in my view, the enclosure looks great, your genic looks like shes enjoying it and maybe she'll grow into one large happy female. :D

daniel15

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
tnx for the link! hehe when i have time, i'll try to make one beautiful enclosure to, well i hope it will look good. haha:D

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Update

Just an update...
She definately loves her home.
She now likes to stay right smack in the middle of the floor in front of the cave. She does move around from time to time but this is where she mostly hangs out. Excellent display piece, especially as she is 5+ inches now.

Sterlingspider

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
TalonAWD: Is that background the "forest tile background from Zoo Med" mentioned in the linked post?

As much as I dislike cutting off view from an entire side, the display tanks I'm hoping to set up eventually will be against the wall so rear visibility will be moot anyway, and that's the best looking background I've seen, hands down.

Lovely girl by the way, genics are one of my faves.

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
TalonAWD: Is that background the "forest tile background from Zoo Med" mentioned in the linked post?

As much as I dislike cutting off view from an entire side, the display tanks I'm hoping to set up eventually will be against the wall so rear visibility will be moot anyway, and that's the best looking background I've seen, hands down.

Lovely girl by the way, genics are one of my faves.
Yes. All of my tank creations (3 so far) has a backdrop created on three of the 4 sides of the tank. I designed the tanks to have high visability from just one side; the front. (of course the top as well is not covered) No matter where the tarantula sits, I will see her and at the same time I consider that they need privacy. I just feel that having more sides covered gives them a bigger sense of security and so they are more likely to stay out in the open.

IrishPolishman

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have the same enclosures and love them. They work out perfectly for all of my Ts needs.