Mouthy Customers... "What would you do"?

skar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I don't know . . That's the typical response to tarantulas anyways. I really don't/wouldn't care at all.
but if I did-
I'd probably just roll my eyes say oh that's original and/or looks like your face experienced that already, still hasn't healed huh ?!!

paassatt

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Developing thick skin is not only beneficial in this case, but also beneficial in other endeavors in your every day life as well. Not everyone you meet is going to like you, and you're not going to like everyone you meet. Brush off the haters and you'll be better off for it.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
A smartass comment back is not appropriate, and does not make you the bigger person.

ruca49

Arachnopeon
You were in there to conduct business. It' doesn't matter how he personally feels about tarantulas it's how well he deliver the goods.

clffdvr

Arachnopeon
Our culture is soaked in anti-spiderism. It's tenacious. Save yourself grief by accepting that. Then those distasteful encounters will just be the norm.

cl

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Just a quick question on mouthy comments...

Here is a not so cool experience that just happened.
It was custom tarantula time, but it got sour...
-A brief setting and then the question in bold below!

I was headed out to see if one of the two local saltwater aquarium businesses could give a tarantula project quote.
Both are "high end" Zoo and Cadillac dealer etc. custom aquatics and custom acrylic providers.
They are the place to go for this kind of stuff locally.

The whole idea was to get two questions answered

1. trying to make a glass style "TarantulaCages enclosure.
-drilling a nice de-rimmed 10gal aquarium for a 2-1/2" side vent and custom acrylic top just like the acrylic tarantula enclosures online.

2. a custom acrylic tarantula cage just like the ones online with some minor differences.

Ok!
So I stopped in and asked.
Just to be sure the owner would stop looking at me like I wanted this "crazy" enclosure for a petshop rosehair etc, I brought out the iPod pics!
I preceded to show a few pics of our green bottle blue, the T. stirmi size, the orange OBT, and so on.
As I had the GBB iPod photo out, a customer and his buddy asked curiously, "is that a spider"?
I lifted an eyebrow in somewhat delight, and said yes.
He laughed and said "that would look nice under my boot"!
:mad:

Actually I'm not a very nice person in times like this but wanted to see what your reactions or tips would be?
I usually tell people "you sure have a perrty mouth", and wait for the next few seconds with a big schitt eating grin!:biggrin:

The tarantula project didn't go so well, so I just asked for a few 10gal tank prices, looked at my saltwater favorites and left.

I guess I was the weirdo in the aquatics store that day!

Take care and thanks for the forum.
Some people are just rude idiots. Just walk away,they are not worth the time it takes to fire off a response.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
yea a smart comment back isnt going to help, but the person does deserve it....i absolutely hate people that are like " tarantulas are worthless", or "ewww thats nasty", or " worms are distgusting"....these animals and creatures have been here way longer than us, and they deserve the earth way more than we do....without humans there would be no war, contamination, murder, animals going extinct because we think we are so much better than them, and dont forget the big retarded oil spill in WATER.....

pnshmntMMA

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Everyone starts out hating them. My ENTIRE family thinks they're gross but I always find them in my room mesmerized staring at them. They developed a healthy respect for them. It's all about ignorance. I used to think sushi? EW. now I love the stuff. It's just a learning curve. Thick skin wins. In my line of work I can't say things back to people. I am the master if smile, nod, mentally bash lol

sweetypie

Arachnoknight
Thanks for the positives!
I'm hooked on Ts for life.
I sort of came from an engineering background and grew up on the Muppet Show.
-Fuzzy colored robotic 8-leggers were destined to make their way in...

Thanks again for the support.
I needed to vent.

It's been a difficult time dealing with the haters and getting laughed at without going for a familiar triangle choke.
-breathe in, breathe out......ahhhhh
all good!

Arachnoholic

Arachnopeon
You could just start crying your face off!! I've seen this strategy employed and end up getting both males and females quite the reaction. In one case there was a huge discount of the product they wanted involved!! Either way the reaction you'll get out of them is way better than what they get out of you :)