Mountain building T's

GDUB

Arachnopeon
I'd like to hear from folks who's T's have done major excavation and enlarging of their burrows. I watched my 3" juvenile A. geniculata doing mountain building today using soil from its burrow. Then I looked at my little B. hamorii sling doing the same thing in its deli cup. It has been very hot here (as in many places around the country), and I'm wondering if the behavior is heat-related to try to create a cooler borrow by digging deeper. Or, since they've been eating more in the hot weather, are they enlarging their burrows in anticipation of needing more room to molt down there. What has your experience been with this behavior?

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
• Chilobrachys fimbriatus

F65CC1CF-269A-448A-954C-8EB737326AF6.jpeg

• Ornithoctonus aureotibialis

6C51213E-8BB0-4E18-B38A-0E6E6751F6FF.jpeg

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have a few species from across the world who do this. However, captivity can be be different than the wild, so I wonder if they do the same in nature.

Mirandarachnid

Arachnobaron
My LP has dug all of the substrate out from under his water dish, and stuffed it into his hide. I love him :rolleyes:

My WC Aphonopelma sp. is always changing it's burrow, stopping up entrances, creating new ones. It just dug a trench across the back of it's enclosure, which is cool because it's sitting in front of a mirror.

Solsurfer

Solsurfer
Borrowers seem to have a good work ethic. constantly keeping up with their own growth rate. Could be a combination .the hot weather speeds up metabolism so that a molt would approach faster and could cool down all in one

AnObeseHippo

Arachnoknight
I think my B. hamorri likes to move dirt to block excess light from entering his enclosure. Whatever side of the container was facing out, he built a wall. No one builds walls better than him. Take it from me. Bing bong.

AquasFloraAndFauna

Arachnopeon
I'd like to hear from folks who's T's have done major excavation and enlarging of their burrows. I watched my 3" juvenile A. geniculata doing mountain building today using soil from its burrow. Then I looked at my little B. hamorii sling doing the same thing in its deli cup. It has been very hot here (as in many places around the country), and I'm wondering if the behavior is heat-related to try to create a cooler borrow by digging deeper. Or, since they've been eating more in the hot weather, are they enlarging their burrows in anticipation of needing more room to molt down there. What has your experience been with this behavior?
My Obt juvi decided to dig down 1 inch make 2 exits then extend the first exit about 3 inches up the side of her enclosure. She's barely shy of the lid with that one.

Last edited by a moderator:

Venomgland

Arachnosquire
I think my B. hamorri likes to move dirt to block excess light from entering his enclosure. Whatever side of the container was facing out, he built a wall. No one builds walls better than him. Take it from me. Bing bong.
I'd name him Donald!

Zepmaster

Arachnopeon
My h pulchripes has done this over the last couple of weeks. It has excavated all of the dirt from the bottom of the enclosure, yes i do mean all, and built mount tarantulavesuvius. From which on occasion spews forth eight legged non-molten wrath upon the surrounding lowlands.

I swear sometimes tarantulas are like kids playing with dirt.

WildSpider

Arachnobaron
My G. pulchripes sling has dug a trench all the way across on one side of its enclosure. Not sure if it's to do with what you described or if it's because I left the peat moss more compacted this time when I put it in so it's now easier to work with. I think this is the largest burrow it's made so far.
gro2.jpg