Moulting Tarantula and Crickets

Meribre

Arachnopeon
Hello!

I've been reading in a couple of books and forums that crickets etc. should not remain in the enclosure while the tarantula is moulting. Frankly, as for myself, I never witnessed that a cricket harmed a moulting tarantula. Has anybody else here seen this?

Thanks and best regards,
Mario

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have never seen it myself with tarantulas, but afriend of mine has lost baby veiled chameleons to crickets bites. I beleive it also depends on what sp. of cricket. the ones sold in the states will turn carnivorous if there is no other food present. Even if they aren't going to eat your pet you should remove them as to not stress out your T after a molt.

Easyout58

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yeah, I would agree. Crickets can be predators when they are hungry. Since molting spiders don't eat anyway there is no reason for them to be in with the T until it's ready to eat again.

Meribre

Arachnopeon
Hi,

Easyout58 said:
Since molting spiders don't eat anyway there is no reason for them to be in with the T until it's ready to eat again.
That's true enough. However, it can be quite awkward to catch the cricket if the tank contains plants. Then your chances to get hold of the cricket is diminutive, unless you significantly disturb your t.

Cheers,
Mario

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
I've read many stories on this board of crickets attacking and/or killing molting tarantulas. Adults and slings. It is best to remove crickets if they are uneaten after a day or so to prevent any problems.

Bedlam

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
There shouldn't be any crickets in the tank anyways since they dont eat during premoult. So why would there be anything in there during a moult?

Cerbera

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Bedlam said:
There shouldn't be any crickets in the tank anyways since they dont eat during premoult. So why would there be anything in there during a moult?
Now that is a very good point . Any keeper that is doing the job properly is of course aware of when a spider is going to moult, and often weeks beforehand, giving ample opportunity to remove things that shouldn't be there...

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
Bedlam said:
I have had some tarantulas molt after eating only a few days earlier. Sometimes it is difficult to gauge when a tarantula will molt, so the best thing is to make sure that there are no uneaten crickets in cages after a day or so. Especially with slings. I just keep an eye on my slings and once they become super fat (no I don't powerfeed) I stop feeding until they molt.

jgaglio1

Arachnopeon
Meribre said:
Hello!

I've been reading in a couple of books and forums that crickets etc. should not remain in the enclosure while the tarantula is moulting. Frankly, as for myself, I never witnessed that a cricket harmed a moulting tarantula. Has anybody else here seen this?

Thanks and best regards,
Mario
I had a small G.rosea that I was given as a freebee. I put a couple of cork chips in the jar with it. It did not appear to be ready for a molt. A day after feeding it some very small crickets, I looked in and it appeared they were eaten. It was about three or four days later when I looked in the jar to feed again. The s'ling had moulted and been half eaten by two remaining crickets that were hiding under the cork.
I only worry about s'lings and have kept them in unadorned vials since this incident.
My experience is that adult Ts can handle themselves if one or two crickets are present either by webbing themselves in or by killing the cricks although I would be cautious with Ts such as C. elegans.
A hard lesson learned.
Joe

stonemantis

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Meribre said:
Hello!

Thanks and best regards,
Mario
Some of the reasons why you should take them out of the enclosure while the tarantula is molting are:

1: Molting is the most stressfull time/times in a tarantula's life and if it is
interrupted while doing this it could die.

2: Crickets are active critters and they create too much of a distraction and
cause unneccessary stress on the tarantula.

3: Crickets are oppurtunistic hunters when they are hungry and can take a
soft, freshly molted tarantula (as well as each other) as a possible meal.

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have had slings attacked by crickets before. The two times it happened, both at the same time, resulted in the death of one sling and the loss of a couple of legs for the other.

I have not witnessed this with juveniles or adults, but since crickets are opportunistic eaters, I wouldn't risk leaving crickets in for over 24 hours.