Most defensive pede? Tell me so I can get it!

the nature boy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
What is the most defensive pede out there? I don't like docile Ts and I won't like a pede that isn't willing to bite the hell out of me. Fill me in. Thanks.

--the nature boy

Bifrost

Arachnopeon
I have only subspinipes and i agree. They are not like tarantulas, they can't easily be stressed.

GartenSpinnen

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Scolopendra subspinipes "Vietnamese" varieties (Mau chau, dehaani).

Scolopendra heros can be pretty intense at times also, but i think it would be more interesting to see you post a bite report on subspinipes... so go with that one. {D

herpguy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yeah, if you want to go general, subspinipes, but even further a Vietnamese would be the most defensive. Why hasn't somebody fixed centipede taxonomy already!? :wall:

Julia

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Aren't all 'pedes defensive??

Anyway, I only have one, a S. subspinipes. It's only about 3 inches long right now, and it sure is a feisty little bugger! It was top-side yesterday, so I decided to try and tong feed it a cricket. I guess it didn't like me sticking the cricket in its face so it snapped a few times and then launched itself upward (think of a viper striking). I will definately have to be careful with this one.

So yeah. My vote is for S. subspinipes if you're looking for a defensive centipede.

A.Gneist

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hello,
the most defensive centipede is the Ethmostigmus trigonopodus var blue Kenia.
You can to caress him if you want.

Regards
Andreas

dehaani

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'd agree that the Ethmostigmus trigonopodus is very defensive but Scolopendra subspinipes & dehaani are more aggressive.

From my collection, Scolopendra multidens was my most wired, defensive, crazy pede. But I only had one specimen, perhaps she was just a biatch?!

SAn

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
its just a matter of luck, everyone has a "most defensive" pede of his own.

cjm1991

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I agree, my S. heros heros gets really pissed when I do anything with her cage. Id say Vietnamese De Haani or if you can find one my Thai giant scares me pretty good, really big and fast.

Quixtar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Scolopendra viridicornis supposedly has a more potent bite than subspinipes, but your only bet is to get one from Todd Gearheart for about $400. They have never been imported to the US before this.