More Ts or a corn snake ?

VENOMdeBEEVER

Arachnopeon
My Ts are awesome but even with 17 of them i get bored. I want something that DOES require MORE attention. Out of all the other pets out ther like skinx, geckos, alligators, iguanas, etc ... I think im leaning towards a snake they kinda fit rite in when u have pet tarantulas too. any suggestions from any of you would be great feel free to post any pics too. If you do have a snake lets hear about it. Im pretty much looking for a little buddy to carry around the house with me, and yes i have a dog and a girlfriend lol.

CFleming

Arachnopeon
So I am a snake guy what do you want to know? Every species is different. They all have their own personalities like the different species of Ts. Do you have any snake experience? You said you want something to cary around the house with you so I would recommend a docile beginner species. There are many to choose from it kinda depends on what you are looking for. If you want something a little on thicker side and a decent length then you cant go wrong with a ball python. There are literaly hundreds of different "flavors" to choose from. If you want something smaller then you have the corns, kings, and milks. Againg lots of variety to choose from. Kings can be a little nippy, they are always hungary and eat anything even your fingers. lol They arent that bad but some individuals can be terrors. Milks have a habit of musking and being very flighty. They will usually grow out of the flightyness, the musking can be an issue with some species. Corns can sometimes be bitey and they musk also. But all three species are still great species. I would like to make a suggestion you may not have thought of. Western hognose. Check your local laws cause some places your not allowed to keep them. Very docile species, but put on a great bluff. They will hiss very loudly flare their necks and try to head butt you but never bite. They are a small snake but thick bodied, very cool looking with the little upturned nose. I used to sit on couch or at the computer with my hognose just chilling around my wrist or sitting in my lap. Very awesome species one of my favorites.

VENOMdeBEEVER

Arachnopeon
I used to sit on couch or at the computer with my hognose just chilling around my wrist or sitting in my lap. Very awesome species one of my favorites.

That is exactly what im looking for and the flavors wow im seeing all the choices. My only snake exp is letting my science teacher boa sit on my shoulder in class when i was in Jr High. Im liking the corn so far any where you could recomend in Michigan to get 1 at ?

advan

oOOo
Staff member
Considering the forum you posted in, I'm a little biased. ;):D

VENOMdeBEEVER

Arachnopeon
not part of any other forums where i am able to get such good advice from such nice people tho. Any good snake forums you cam recomend, nice pics too what kind of camera do you use?

Coe Whitt

Arachnopeon
OMG lol i cant believe i just read that!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have a red tail boa hes pretty cool i agree I have 12 species of Ts myself they do get a little boreing at times I love to look at them at night is the best

le-thomas

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My Ts are awesome but even with 17 of them i get bored. I want something that DOES require MORE attention. Out of all the other pets out ther like skinx, geckos, alligators, iguanas, etc ... I think im leaning towards a snake they kinda fit rite in when u have pet tarantulas too. any suggestions from any of you would be great feel free to post any pics too. If you do have a snake lets hear about it. Im pretty much looking for a little buddy to carry around the house with me, and yes i have a dog and a girlfriend lol.
Corn snakes require very little attention, but more than tarantulas. Snakes are great, but honestly, I find corn snakes fairly boring. Maybe a small python or another type of ratsnake would suit you.

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Snakes don't require more attention.

---------- Post added at 10:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:23 PM ----------

Get a bearded dragon. They are way more fun to watch than snakes.

le-thomas

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Snakes don't require more attention.

---------- Post added at 10:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:23 PM ----------

Get a bearded dragon. They are way more fun to watch than snakes.
Totally true. Or maybe some type of mammal?

VENOMdeBEEVER

Arachnopeon
No i want little nice snake no killers I have my goliaths and they are mean enough and i also dont want anything that could ever cause anything fatal.

---------- Post added at 11:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:26 PM ----------

sorry by attention i dont mean cleaning the cage I mean something i can handle alot and not stress out.

le-thomas

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
No i want little nice snake no killers I have my goliaths and they are mean enough and i also dont want anything that could ever cause anything fatal.

---------- Post added at 11:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:26 PM ----------

sorry by attention i dont mean cleaning the cage I mean something i can handle alot and not stress out.
Some type of python then. Possibly a children's python or ball python. If its handling you want, maybe a snake isn't best. But then again, pythons and certain ratsnakes are great for handling.

desertanimal

Arachnoknight
I wouldn't recommend a corn snake if you want it to sit around your shoulders and hang out with you. You'll get one every now and again that's that chill, but in general they're fairly active when you have them out to handle them.

If you want a little buddy to carry around the house with you, I think some of the friendly boids are a bit more compliant. I can tell you that wild Dumeril's boas are very nice, so captive bred are bound to be. And people who don't mind the silly shaped heads love their ball pythons. If I were getting a boid I'd get a jungle carpet python, but I don't know whether they have a TV-watching, hanging out temperament.

That's not to say that there aren't cornsnakes that will just sit and chill--some will and I've had a couple, but most won't.

xgrafcorex

Thread Killer
Old Timer
If you don't have anything other than t's, I recommend getting a corn snake. I had a few and loved every minute of it. They are more active than T's in general.

It's nice to have the variety also. Yea, there are lots of different T's, but a snake is nowhere near the same thing. I think you'd enjoy having a corn. Keep in mind, they are much like a T in that each one has it's own temperament. I had one that never struck at me or displayed any kind of nervousness/aggression, and I had one that would rattle it's tail and bite me any chance it could get. That one calmed down once I had it out of the tank, but the initial contact was always interesting.

edit...didn't really read this thread. :p

Quazgar

Arachnoknight
I second the ball suggestion. They're super laid back, easily handled, and don't get very big. I love carpet pythons, but they do get a little bigger and are more active. Corns are nice, but it could be harder getting one that will just sit wrapped around you and be content to stay, which balls will easily do.