More harm than good? Moving freshly molted T

TyjTheMighty

Arachnosquire
I rescued a female (molt confirmed, I have the molt actually) hamorri last night. I thought I had hit one of those craigslist jackpots that I hear about some of you lucky keepers having.
But i'm not sure if she'll make it through the week tbh.

When I picked her up, the couple told me she had just molted the night before. The guy talked about how he had flipped her over after she was on her back like it wasn't a big deal, and the tank they had her in was absolutely disgusting! I don't think I've ever seen a more disgusting enclosure. On top of that, there was a crap ton of crickets (among other things) in there because they thought a freshly molted T needed food... and they had claimed she had eaten some (her fangs are most definitely still white so ik that didn't happen).
They tried to tell me about how the changed her sponge and whatnot. The whole time I clearly look horrified. I of course told them that everything they're doing was wrong, and how they might have doomed this spider - which of course they didn't really get.

Anyways. I took the executive decision to scoop her up and place her in a clean, cricket-free enclosure. I figured it couldn't be any worse than the alternative.

I took some pics last night that I'll post here soon (kinda busy at work atm). Oh. And I made sure to dampen the area underneath where her mouth is so she can actually drink.

Any suggestions and words of encouragement are very much welcomed ._.

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
Keeping her in that old enclosure would have been much riskier than moving her, you did the right thing. Crickets can much and kill freshly molted Ts, she could have tried to eat one and snapped both fangs, could have dehydrated without access to water. That enclosure just sounds like a garbage fire, I would have done the exact same thing. Also, if they flipped it over but it still ended up completing the molt and it looks okay, I think it should be okay. It's pretty lucky that nothing went wrong though.

TyjTheMighty

Arachnosquire
Also, if they flipped it over but it still ended up completing the molt and it looks okay, I think it should be okay. It's pretty lucky that nothing went wrong though.
I was super surprised that she completed her molt with them honestly! And I threw the tank away, it was THAT disgusting. But she did drink last night so i'm hoping that's a good sign.
Her abdomen is very plump though for a freshly molted T.

Anyway, here are the pics I took (the hubby helped out too. These pics are before we gave her water. 20180828_201151.jpg 20180828_200915.jpg 20180828_201040.jpg 20180828_201104.jpg

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
Looks like there might have been some dehydration by the way the legs are curled, it's a good thing you got her to water. My hamorii came from similar situations and spent almost an entire night with its face in the water dish, it wasnt as dehydrated as yours though.

lostbrane

Arachnobaron
I thought I had hit one of those craigslist jackpots that I hear about some of you lucky keepers having.
You got to rescue a t in dire need. Sounds like a jackpot to me! (I mean yeah ok it’s not inheriting someone’s awesome collection on the cheap but still)

Her abdomen is very plump though for a freshly molted T.
Well, if there were that many crickets, I would take an educated guess that it had tons of access to food, so maybe it ate a whole bunch. But anyways...

Glad ya got to her, and hopefully in time! I’m surprised you took the time to explain. When I rescued my A. chalcodes, I just nodded my head and said sure just so i could get out of there faster to get it in a proper set up.

But yeah, hope she recovers post haste.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
It just molted. A T that size probably won't eat for a couple weeks. I think it's doing perfectly fine. Just needs time.

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
While moving a freshly molted T can be risky, it can also be perfectly fine if you're careful and have least have some semblance of common sense. Being kept with a large number of (probably hungry) crickets could have easily been a death sentence though. I think you made the right call, and I would have done the same if I needed to. I would just make sure she has a full water dish with the lip level with the substrate so that she has access to likely much needed water. Other than that, just leave her be.

Good job on the rescue! :)

TyjTheMighty

Arachnosquire
Thanks you guys, i'm definitely feeling more hopeful. I'm pulling a 10 hour shift today, but as soon as I get home i'm definitely giving her more water.

Glad ya got to her, and hopefully in time! I’m surprised you took the time to explain.
Lol I was still in shock as she just kept talking to me and everything she and her bf said just appalled me more and more. And she said that her sister also had a T and she was keeping it the same way

Theneil

Arachnoprince
Very pretty lady. I agree that you did the right thing with a rehouse.

I would have done the same. and on a couple occurrences i have had cause to GENTLY maneuver a freshly molted T with no negative consequences. Obviously not something to do regularly but you gotta do what you gotta do.

It is pretty sad that people can't take propper care of a tarantula, especially an arid, NW terrestrial like that hammori. Litterally requires amybe an hour or two of initial research/work to make an enclosure and an additional 5 minutes a MONTH for routine maintainence....

TyjTheMighty

Arachnosquire
It is pretty sad that people can't take propper care of a tarantula, especially an arid, NW terrestrial like that hammori. Litterally requires amybe an hour or two of initial research/work to make an enclosure and an additional 5 minutes a MONTH for routine maintainence....
Omg yes! The girl said she didn't know how to clean the enclosure. I didn't even know how to respond to that. I really wish I had taken a pic of the enclosure. But it was disgusting enough that not only did I throw the whole tank away, but i didn't even bring it into my apartment because it smelled from a few feet away, and there were all kinds of fungus knats flying in and around it.

SuzukiSwift

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That’s a gorgeous girl you’ve got there. You absolutely did the right thing moving her, would have been far riskier leaving her in that hell hole. How long had they had her for? Really glad you saved her from certain doom

TyjTheMighty

Arachnosquire
She's doing a lot better! She's been moving around a little bit, and drinking from her water dish a lot!
I do think one of her back legs will stay kinda crooked looking until her next molt though. 20180829_212901.jpg