MoranDisciple's Super Sicarius Saga

MoranDisciple

Arachnosquire
Hello all. This thread will be dedicated to documenting my six newly acquired Sicarius thomisoides as they grow, eat, pray, love, and do all the other things sand spiders do. (It will also feature a side plot of another species) I recieved the spiders from @Philth aka Tom Patterson today. They are all 3i slings and all molted just before he shipped them. Like some other "diaries" you may have seen here, this series will last a while and may not have a definitive end. Pictures will he a prominent feature despite me having nothing but a crappy Galaxy S9 phone camera. It will have a bit of a twist differentiating it from others because I'll be running an experiment. Each spider will be kept in different conditions to see whether they are as bulletproof and easy to care for as we think. One will be kept on calcium sand, one on fine river sand, one on rough grained beach sand, on in a naturalistic setup on fine red sand, and the remaining two together in a communal setup on the same fine red sand.

First up, here is how they were shipped. You can tell Tom takes care when packaging by this photo. The vials labelled "Selenops" contain Selenops radiatus, a species of flat spider from Egypt with the fastest turning speed of any land animal. They were freebies. 20190816_122918.jpg

Unpacking the Sicarius was a bit more nerveracking than I thought it would be. They were not at all groggy from their trip which caught me off guard. 20190816_123020.jpg

Once they were all in their containers, they scuttled around a bit before settling down, with some taking much longer to do so than others. The first one to bury itself was the one in the fine river sand setup. It was interesting and funny watching the process in real life. 20190816_123921.jpg

Here is the one in the calcium sand setup. This one has a name, "Four Twelve." Interesting, I know. I got it from the label on the side of the coffee shop container it's in. I don't know if it prefers coffee or tea. I do know that Fourtwelve took the longest to bury itself at approximately half an hour. 20190816_123732.jpg

Here is the one in the rough grained beach sand setup. This one buried itself quickly but hasn't taken the cricket I gave it. 20190816_123746.jpg

Here is the one in the "naturalistic" setup, where I mixed the sand with an equal part topsoil and added some twigs, dead grass, and a rock. I have to admit, this is the setup I'm most interested in. Can you find the spider?:troll: 20190816_123805.jpg

Here is the communal setup with the two Sicarius on plain red sand. Before you attack me, please watch this video:
20190816_123712.jpg

Three out of the six have eaten so far. One of these was one of the two in the communal setup. I have seen no evidence of sharing.

Here is the setup for the Egyptian flat spiders Selenops radiatus. I thought it would be easier to feed this feisty little fellas by keeping all four in the same enclosure and dropping in fruit flies and prekilled red runners. 20190816_133655.jpg
Closeup of one of the tiny Selenops slings. I plan on separating them when they get a bit bigger. 20190816_131037.jpg

This same sling also molted in transit but is doing fine. I'm not sure what instar they are. They have a limited ability to climb plastic which caught me off guard. Thankfully it's bad enough that I dont think I'll have to worry about escapees even with a half off lid for ventilation. Anyway, back to the sandy stars of the show.

The sling in the naturalistic setup stopped feeding on his cricket after a few hours but soon returned to it. Fickle little guy. 20190816_202759.jpg

I cant attach any more pics due to the file limit but I should probably stop spending time on this post anyway. I'll keep you all updated over the next few months (years?).

Last edited:

schmiggle

Arachnoking
I'll be excited to see what comes of this :)
Here is the one in the "naturalistic" setup, where I mixed the sand with an equal part topsoil and added some twigs, dead grass, and a rock. I have to admit, this is the setup I'm most interested in.
It might be more like their wild habitats. If I remember correctly a lot of these live in semidesert.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Personally I wouldn't keep 2 together. For me it's just not worth the risk. They might live near each other in the wild but they aren't communal.

For me they're absolutely fantastic spiders and both watching them burst from the sand to burying never gets old. Particularly them burying. It's beyond cute.

The only thing you'll find with using different sand is the spiders looking to be different colours as they trap the dust in their hairs.

MoranDisciple

Arachnosquire
This morning I checked on them and got kinda panicked because I couldn't see evidence of them at all. Turns out they had just buried themselves much better than I had ever seen on YouTube lol. 20190817_121407.jpg Three of them have still refused to eat, namely the river sand one, the beach sand one, and one of the two in the communal setup. @basin79 check out the YouTube video I linked! Pretty fascinating stuff. The selenops dont seem to have eaten the two crushed crickets placed in their enclosure, though one of them molted overnight. They look so cool camouflaged against the bark. 20190817_121044.jpg

basin79

ArachnoGod
This morning I checked on them and got kinda panicked because I couldn't see evidence of them at all. Turns out they had just buried themselves much better than I had ever seen on YouTube lol. View attachment 317967 Three of them have still refused to eat, namely the river sand one, the beach sand one, and one of the two in the communal setup. @basin79 check out the YouTube video I linked! Pretty fascinating stuff. The selenops dont seem to have eaten the two crushed crickets placed in their enclosure, though one of them molted overnight. They look so cool camouflaged against the bark. View attachment 317965
I saw that when Mark first posted it. Still think it's not worth the risk.

With regards to them burying they'll often disappear completely however sometimes you'll be able to see a leg or 3. When they get larger you can make out a shape in the sand they leave burying too. Makes it easier to focus the camera when you're recording feeding videos.

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
Man, those beasties must think they're in Sicarius heaven. Mine is in an enclosure with sand. Regarding eating, mine is by no stretch of the imagination voracious, but when it's hungry, it is a hoot to watch. Enjoy.

MoranDisciple

Arachnosquire
After a week I have a pretty decent idea of each spider's "personality" by which I mean feeding response. The one in the naturalistic setup has the best one by far, exploding out of the sand if something walks within an inch of it. It is getting up their in chunkiness. The pair in the communal setup are in second place. Both seem to have about the same feeding response but need their victims to walk a little closer than an inch. One of them took down a small carpenter ant the other day which came as a pleasant surprise since most predators dont even bother trying to hunt ants. Pictured here is the spider I just mentioned. 20190819_201041.jpg Next up is Fourtwelve, the Sicarius in the calcium sand coffee cup. This little fella has eaten a couple times but has now stopped for some reason. Second to last is the one in the river sand setup, which will come out and chase prey but quickly seems to lose interest and bury itself again without a bite. The worst eater by far is the one in the beach sand setup. This thing ignores EVERY prey item of EVERY size I try to feed it. Even when I tried feeding it at night it just sat still as the cricket took a stroll over its body. Regardless, it is fascinating watching that venom go to work. I just wish some of these guys would realise they have it.

MoranDisciple

Arachnosquire
Might the beach sand one be in premolt?
No. In fact, it has the smallest abdomen out of the group. However, I was able to get it to eat a small zebra jumping spider right after I wrote that post. I had to dig it out of the sand first and then drop the prey item in next to it; that seems to stimulate their feeding response.

MoranDisciple

Arachnosquire
I have discovered a great way of feeding the little Selenops slings. Their favorite prey flying insects and when they are at this size, appropriately sized prey is hard to come by. I turn on my porch light and hold a Mason jar underneath it, waiting for tons of little gnats, moths, and leafhoppers to fall into it. Then I simply cup it, carry it to their enclosure, turn it upside down, and give it a few good shakes. The flat spiders catch their prey almost instantly and still have food to spare. 20190821_172636.jpg

ShyDragoness

Arachnobaron
While I dont personally encourage wild caught prey and would urge you to get a flightless fruit fly culture I applaud the ingenuity

MoranDisciple

Arachnosquire
MOLT UPDATE 8/25. I found the naturalistic one like this the morning of last Sunday, Aug. 25. His/her old exoskeleton can be seen at the bottom part of the image while his legs are visible near the top, beneath the twig. He looks much larger. 20190902_135228.jpg It seems I was right; his legspan almost doubled! I took this a day after he molted. He eagerly took down this small adult Neonemobius sp. 20190902_163518.jpg

MoranDisciple

Arachnosquire
MOLT UPDATE 10/18
The naturalistic specimen has molted yet again! This time hanging from a dried leaf. This little/soon to be big fella has really left the competition in the dust; I'm not sure why. I have yet to see him/her out and about but I'm sure he has a much more impressive legspan now. 20191018_170726.jpg 20191018_170759.jpg

StampFan

Arachnodemon
I could own 10 Sicarius and be very happy. These guys are awesome. Love when @basin79 does a video of his. They literally come out every night, and if you catch with a red light are actually pretty active.