Monthly Tarantula Magazine!

alrightyspidey

Arachnopeon
Hello everyone! I am looking for some feedback on an idea I had to create an online magazine all about tarantulas. I am a T owner myself and run two tarantula blogs. I am very passionate about educating people and debunking myths about the hobby as well as decreasing arachnophobia/stigma by showing how fun tarantulas can really be. I think a magazine is a great way to do that. My idea was to include things like:
  • helpful tips/things you’ve learned
  • terrarium setups
  • handling photos (no pics of spiders on faces please)
  • arachnophobia tips and stories
  • funny stories
  • pictures of your tarantulas and spiders
  • articles about spider care
  • spider-related art (poems, drawings, etc)
  • how you deal with haters
  • First aid tips
I want it to be educational but also fun and entertaining for both beginners and experts. Do you have any suggestions on what else I should include or how I can improve this idea? Also, would you like to be involved by contributing some info or photos of your spiders? I'm interested to know everyone's thoughts.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Hello there :-s

I hate to say this (really) but I would consider well the idea, because we are living in a (IMO quite invasive) techno/digital era, and all of the helping points you mentioned are easily at hand via the Internet. I'm sure of course that you know this.

On a mere collection level I would buy your magazine, however :)

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Were you thinking of an actual paper magazine or an ezine?

Abyss

Arachnoknight
I would love to contribute in any way possible an think its a cool idea although with info readily out there as is, im not sure how well it would do.

Hellblazer

Arachnosquire
I think a tarantula podcast would also be a great idea. I listen to a lot of podcasts at work to kill time, but haven't had any luck finding a tarantula or just general invert one. A host could interview different breeders/ keepers every episode.

cold blood

Staff member
I'd nix the handling pics...IMO it sends hobbyists the wrong message...especially those newer to the hobby.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Europeans are the first ones to breed most species and are the ones supplying almost all of the new species introductions to the US. They should be a big part of your information/articles. If we're going to catch up with them, we need their input if you're going to have credibility.

Also agree on not encouraging handling, either with pics or 'how to.' We're in the 21st century and that's an old stunt from decades ago that needs to go away. Way too many high strung tropicals and OW's in the hobby now. We just had a link posted last week to an article on OW bites. It's serious stuff.

gypsy cola

Arachnoknight
Have a "t of a month" an in-depth article for one species in each issue. Include the entire history of how it was discovered, when, breeding reports, bite reports, care and maintenance of the T, how it came into the hobby.

Have a section for "DIY" for shelves, enclosures, incubators, etc.

Get interviews with notable breeders or anyone working with tarantulas on an academic level.

Have an up to date sections for revisions. Tarantulas are constantly being revived

Classified section

Ads for expos, or an article about an expo.

There are a lot topics to cover as well for in-depth articles. The mythical chicken spider, the most recent revision to aphonopelma, g.rosea/porteria/conception/northern gold, tarantula hut, that new species just discovered, shipping laws for tarantulas, etc.

finally.... a section dedicated to @gypsy cola every month... Who is the man behind gypsy cola? What makes him tick? favorite foods? is he a #teamjacob or a #teamedward guy? etc.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
You have to gear it towards an international audience too. This hobby is very active worldwide and it should reflect that.
This is a very tough gig and requires a huge commitment. These things can turn into a full time job, even with help from the community in the form of reader submitted articles and whatnot. The most successful ezines have a number of people working on them at one time and isn't just one person putting it all together.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hello everyone! I am looking for some feedback on an idea I had to create an online magazine all about tarantulas. I am a T owner myself and run two tarantula blogs. I am very passionate about educating people and debunking myths about the hobby as well as decreasing arachnophobia/stigma by showing how fun tarantulas can really be. I think a magazine is a great way to do that. My idea was to include things like:
  • terrarium setups
  • handling photos (no pics of spiders on faces please)
  • arachnophobia tips and stories
  • funny stories
  • pictures of your tarantulas and spiders
  • articles about spider care
  • how you deal with haters
  • First aid tips
I want it to be educational but also fun and entertaining for both beginners and experts. Do you have any suggestions on what else I should include or how I can improve this idea? Also, would you like to be involved by contributing some info or photos of your spiders? I'm interested to know everyone's thoughts.
I realize this is an e-zine. An issue could be an unlimited amount of content pretty much, HOWEVER no person has an unlimited of time. People have other life interests and responsibilities to attend to.

For example, the idea of spider art, I'll never look or read it. I have zero time for that, esp poetry (you've got to be kidding me). The "haters" section as you put it, seems geared towards 13 yr olds. or people who actually care what others think about them and their pets. I believe it to be a useless section.

If you are EDUCATING people, why would you think a section on handling is a good idea???????????

The funny story section could be executed well if it was done like Reptiles magazine's section called Living with Reptiles- a single often amusing story of an owner and their pet. Though I will concede that some may find this a waste of time as well.

There most def. should be a DIY section, videos required IMO.

I also agree w/others who mentioned one should include the European hobbyists.

A quality e-zine is actually a lot of work, so I hope you have the time for this, it could be quite interesting if executed properly.

I'm thinking of an ezine but giving people the option to order physical print copies individually through a service like Magcloud.
A good idea, however I think if one doesn't give contributors a portion of the profits or royalties and ownership of their intellectual property then you aren't a serious publisher/content provider. I know a content provider that does this without printing, so it's entirely possible.

Last edited by a moderator:

alrightyspidey

Arachnopeon
Hi everyone - been a member here for a while and love it :)

I'm a graphic designer who also happens to LOVE tarantulas! I think it's terrible that every other animal and hobby has a magazine, but there doesn't seem to be one about tarantulas and spiders. So...I'm going to create one and release the first issue mid-December (end 2018 with a bang)!

BUT I need your help! I'd love to be able to include submissions and educational tidbits from people in this forum, as well as cool art and funny stories that really showcase how great this hobby is. Some things I was thinking for the magazine are:
  • submitted photos
  • funny stories about your tarantulas
  • terrarium setups
  • arachnophobia tips
  • articles about T care
  • first aid tips
  • what inspired you to be a T keeper
  • ...AND MORE! (open to suggestion)

I hope you'll join me in making this magazine as great as it can be! All submissions/info will be credited!

To learn more about how to submit and subscribe to the monthly magazine, please visit my info page about it here: https://www.tarantulaheaven.com/tarantula-magazine/

basin79

ArachnoGod
Hi everyone - been a member here for a while and love it :)

I'm a graphic designer who also happens to LOVE tarantulas! I think it's terrible that every other animal and hobby has a magazine, but there doesn't seem to be one about tarantulas and spiders. So...I'm going to create one and release the first issue mid-December (end 2018 with a bang)!

BUT I need your help! I'd love to be able to include submissions and educational tidbits from people in this forum, as well as cool art and funny stories that really showcase how great this hobby is. Some things I was thinking for the magazine are:
  • submitted photos
  • funny stories about your tarantulas
  • terrarium setups
  • arachnophobia tips
  • articles about T care
  • first aid tips
  • what inspired you to be a T keeper
  • ...AND MORE! (open to suggestion)

I hope you'll join me in making this magazine as great as it can be! All submissions/info will be credited!

To learn more about how to submit and subscribe to the monthly magazine, please visit my info page about it here: https://www.tarantulaheaven.com/tarantula-magazine/
Good luck but I think once a month will be too frequent eventually. As in you might well run out of new material publishing that often.

I'm a member of the BTS and although different they make 3 journals a year.

Aestas

Arachnopeon
would be an idea to give in each magazine one or two t species spotlight. like all info about them, their care etc.
feel free to use the pics in my gallery if they are good enough^^

alrightyspidey

Arachnopeon
Good luck but I think once a month will be too frequent eventually. As in you might well run out of new material publishing that often.

I'm a member of the BTS and although different they make 3 journals a year.
Thanks for the feedback!

alrightyspidey

Arachnopeon
would be an idea to give in each magazine one or two t species spotlight. like all info about them, their care etc.
feel free to use the pics in my gallery if they are good enough^^
That's a great idea! Thank you (and I'll definitely take a look at your gallery) :)

basin79

ArachnoGod
The real problem you'll face in this day and age is the Internet. Go online and you can Google pretty much anything. This forum is a wealth of knowledge for example. Instagram is full of unbelievably stunning images of tarantulas. Youtube has videos on practically everything.

If I'm totally honest if it wasn't for the 10% discount being a member of the BTS gives me at The Spider Shop I probably wouldn't be a member. Even though I do really enjoy their journals.

Frazam

Arachnosquire
I'm a writer and would love to contribute what I can.

Also, agree that a publication is not the best course these days, how about an online publication? Not a blog, but more like an online magazine? I used to be an editor for an online magazine. We had printed copies too, but it was chiefly an online thing.

PM me and let me know how I can help