Molting

Melissa McDonald

Arachnopeon
Help! My 25 yr old T molted all but her abdomen & carapace. She spread webs around her & pretty much has the old abdomen off. Don’t know about the carapace, it’s cracked. Do you think she will survive?

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
I hope she pulls through, but you must prepare yourself. That is the end for many tarantulas who molt at such an advanced age.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I had a T with the carapace still attached to its body, no issues, came off next molt.

Chebe6886

Arachnobaron
Yeh pictures would be the only real way anyone could give you a realist prognosis

Melissa McDonald

Arachnopeon

Attachments

Chebe6886

Arachnobaron
Did you try to gently lift it off? Looks like it may come off easily.
Either way it looks like it should be able to eat and what not

Thekla

Arachnoprince
When did she moult? I guess it's too late to intervene when she's already climbing around again.

Anyway, this thread is really helpful when a T gets stuck while moulting:

As long as her fangs, her anus and the spinnerets are free it shouldn't be a problem though.

But I see a problem with her housing. Sorry, but there's way too much height for a heavy-bodied terrestrial T and the substrate looks like gravel to me, not ideal either. Does she have a water dish? Could you post a picture of the entire enclosure?
I know, she probably lived like this for years but I would change her living conditions nonetheless. Ts can survive and live for a long time in inappropriate conditions but they're not thriving.