Molting?

BugLord

Arthropod Rancher
Thanks so much for the info. So any chance of her becoming more comfortable around me? I know its not the norm, or maybe it differs by species? I've just seen/read about others holding and interacting some with theirs
I've found Narceus americanus to be somewhat timid, but I've only handled wild specimens. The best way to get them on your hand is to lay it down in front of them until they tread on to it; instead of picking her up which would most likely make her curl up.

Dagan H

Attachments

RDRobbs

Arachnopeon
I've found Narceus americanus to be somewhat timid, but I've only handled wild specimens. The best way to get them on your hand is to lay it down in front of them until they tread on to it; instead of picking her up which would most likely make her curl up.

Dagan H
That's awesome! That's what i want. But i don't have a chance to put my hand in front of her. If she senses me near she immediately retreats into hiding. Maybe with time! 20200427_182706.jpg

BugLord

Arthropod Rancher
That's awesome! That's what i want. But i don't have a chance to put my hand in front of her. If she senses me near she immediately retreats into hiding. Maybe with time! View attachment 343129
Narceus americanus has such a wide range across the east coast I wouldn't be surprised if it's just a variation in genetics. Like populations are more genetically predisposed to be more timid. Nice substrate btw, what's it made of?:)

Dagan Hunt

Last edited:

RDRobbs

Arachnopeon
gen
Narceus americanus has such a wide range across the east coast I wouldn't be surprised if it's just a variation in genetics. Like populations are more genetically predisposed to be more timid. Nice substrate btw, what's it made of?:)

Dagan Hunt
It's actually his natural habitat (frowned upon by some I'm sure) i collected natural soil where i found him and added sand and also collected the natural debris. He's in a tupperware container about the size of a large shoebox! 20200427_182643.jpg 20200427_182627.jpg

RDRobbs

Arachnopeon
If she is molting, would she be moving around much under the substrate? Or be relatively still? She seems to be moving around under there quite a bit

BugLord

Arthropod Rancher
If she is molting, would she be moving around much under the substrate? Or be relatively still? She seems to be moving around under there quite a bit
She's most likely just chillin' under the substrate then. I'd still be safe and let her surface on her own.

Dagan

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
I suppose it is possible for them to become less defensive with repeated handling (as seen with some species of Hissing cockroach), but it is not like a reptile, bird, mammal, etc. which may become "friendly" so to speak with their keepers.

I don't look down upon collecting substrate from areas where the specimens are found (I do it myself in fact), but how much sand did you add? Too much of it can be excessively abrasive upon the exoskeleton.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

RDRobbs

Arachnopeon
I suppose it is possible for them to become less defensive with repeated handling (as seen with some species of Hissing cockroach), but it is not like a reptile, bird, mammal, etc. which may become "friendly" so to speak with their keepers.

I don't look down upon collecting substrate from areas where the specimens are found (I do it myself in fact), but how much sand did you add? Too much of it can be excessively abrasive upon the exoskeleton.

Thanks,

Arthroverts
I'm afraid I may have too much in that case 😲 i didn't exactly measure, but I'd say it's 60-40ish, 40 being the sand

RDRobbs

Arachnopeon
I'm afraid I may have too much in that case 😲 i didn't exactly measure, but I'd say it's 60-40ish, 40 being the sand
Do you guys have other pets? I'm a vet tech, never cared for creepy crawlies at all! But I have an almost 2 year old daughter, it started as something cool to do with her (temporary in a jar then set free) but now it's become sort of obsessive for me haha. I have a millipede, snails, and caterpillars. OAN, do the pedes care for company of the same species? Or satisfied alone? I found a Tennessee flat back millipede, but before i could get it in permanent housing it escaped its temporary habitat and is somewhere in my home unless he found his way out somehow 😏

RDRobbs

Arachnopeon
Is there an app or something I can download to access this page? I stumbled upon it while searching the internet for info, now I'm accessing it through notifications. (I love to ask questions 😁)

RDRobbs

Arachnopeon
Is there an app or something I can download to access this page? I stumbled upon it while searching the internet for info, now I'm accessing it through notifications. (I love to ask questions 😁)

BugLord

Arthropod Rancher
Here is a good template to follow for the soil:

I don't have anything at my house, but I study biodiversity, population genetics, and genetic drift of arthropods at VCU (including millipedes). I'm very drawn to their charming, peaceful demeanor. In the coming week, I'll be a proud owner of a colony of Bumblebee millipedes and Scarlet millipedes.

And no, sadly there isn't an app :( but I've found that if you go on here enough, it should just be recommended in your google search LOL

Dagan Hunt

BugLord

Arthropod Rancher
And I say template because some of the things listed on her recipe may not be available in your area. So there's plenty of workarounds.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Almost all round millipedes (i.e spirostreptids, spirobolids, julids) can be kept together without issue so long as the care is adequate for whatever species are involved. However, you wouldn't necessarily want to keep certain species/locales/morphs together for fear of hybridization/contamination of the lineage.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

RDRobbs

Arachnopeon
Almost all round millipedes (i.e spirostreptids, spirobolids, julids) can be kept together without issue so long as the care is adequate for whatever species are involved. However, you wouldn't necessarily want to keep certain species/locales/morphs together for fear of hybridization/contamination of the lineage.

Thanks,

Arthroverts
What about local flat back species? Sorry for all the questions

BugLord

Arthropod Rancher
What about local flat back species? Sorry for all the questions
Flat millipedes although may not hurt your N. americanus, they are a bit harder to keep in captivity and require some different requirements than N. americanus; for example, most flat millipedes require a denser rotten wood substrate than round millipedes. I would recommend either starting a colony of N. americanus, or getting some other round millipedes. An active and more surface dwelling millipede I recommend for you would be Ivory millipedes, they have the same care requirements as well as being an easy species in general. :) Hope that helps!