Molting Milipede Question

Datura

Arachnopeon
So my boyfriend and I are new to owning milipedes,we have couple rather young A.Gigas that I purchased as a gift for him.

I tend to be the one that observes them more than I probably should,but I'm always checking for newly dug holes or if the little guys have shown any surface activity.
I try not to disturb them unless I catch them on the surface long enough to interact with them in some way or form.

So into my main point I was working towards but I haven't seen either of the lil buggers in a few days now,no nibbles on veggies or dog food,no new holes...or any holes for that matter.
As a new owner it's just worrisome to have all activity cease suddenly from both pedes at the same time,should I be worried or do you think they could be molting?
Maybe I'm just a worry wort but I just wanna know what I should be expecting for a timeline if they are molting.
If I should continue my normal misting ritual for them and replacing veggies like I normally do,etc etc.

Also....i know I shouldn't poke around for them but at what point would it be a good idea to bring out my fan paint brush and go dusting for possible bodies if it comes to that.

SFA

Arachnoknight
So my boyfriend and I are new to owning milipedes,we have couple rather young A.Gigas that I purchased as a gift for him.

I tend to be the one that observes them more than I probably should,but I'm always checking for newly dug holes or if the little guys have shown any surface activity.
I try not to disturb them unless I catch them on the surface long enough to interact with them in some way or form.

So into my main point I was working towards but I haven't seen either of the lil buggers in a few days now,no nibbles on veggies or dog food,no new holes...or any holes for that matter.
As a new owner it's just worrisome to have all activity cease suddenly from both pedes at the same time,should I be worried or do you think they could be molting?
Maybe I'm just a worry wort but I just wanna know what I should be expecting for a timeline if they are molting.
If I should continue my normal misting ritual for them and replacing veggies like I normally do,etc etc.

Also....i know I shouldn't poke around for them but at what point would it be a good idea to bring out my fan paint brush and go dusting for possible bodies if it comes to that.
They are definitely probably molting. Leave them alone but yes, keep misting and doing your normal things. It could take up to a few weeks to finish a molt.

mickiem

Arachnoprince
Rule # 1 about millipede keeping is NEVER dig in the soil! If they are molting you could really hurt them. If you don't seem them after a few weeks and feel like you should dig, first of all - don't! But if you are dead set on it, be SO careful. Keep us posted and good luck!

mickiem

Arachnoprince
Rule # 1 about millipede keeping is NEVER dig in the soil! If they are molting you could really hurt them. If you don't seem them after a few weeks and feel like you should dig, first of all - don't! But if you are dead set on it, be SO careful. Keep us posted and good luck!
anddo what @SFA said. :cool:

Datura

Arachnopeon
Knew that from the research I did on them before we got em,but figured eventually I'd have to dig for them if they don't show up after a good long while. Example being One or two months of no sightings or something along those lines.
Thanks though and I'll keep you guys appraised of the situation!

SFA

Arachnoknight
Knew that from the research I did on them before we got em,but figured eventually I'd have to dig for them if they don't show up after a good long while. Example being One or two months of no sightings or something along those lines.
Please do keep us posted, and try not to worry!

mickiem

Arachnoprince
You are starting off on a great species! Best of luck. Glad you did research. :cool:

InvertsandOi

Arachnoknight
If it's only been a few days, they might not be molting. Sometimes millipedes just decide to burrow, and stay down for a while. I have some species that I'm lucky to catch a glimpse of once every few months. Either way though, don't dig. Especially if it's only been a few days. They'll come back up sooner or later.

Myra

Arachnopeon
If it's only been a few days, they might not be molting. Sometimes millipedes just decide to burrow, and stay down for a while. I have some species that I'm lucky to catch a glimpse of once every few months. Either way though, don't dig. Especially if it's only been a few days. They'll come back up sooner or later.
Completely agree, mine disappear for days sometimes and always reappear just fine and then preceed to eat everything in sight

Datura

Arachnopeon
So excited!!!
Today was the first signs of life I've seen since the time I noticed the pedes hiding away.
I was misting the tank as usual.
Decided to peak under one of the spots they use to constantly hide in and low and behold one of them was occupying it.
I squeeled with joy,showed my boyfriend then followed up by promptly leaving him/her alone.