Molt maybe? Space concerns.

sbullet

Arachnoknight
IMG_4470.jpg

So first off, tell me if this was an ingenious idea, or a bad one. I'm using the vial she came in as a hide. Dug it into the ground at a 45* angle, then she began to vertically web the opening as you can kind of tell in the pics. Basically, she can't make an exit hole but I don't think this is a big deal, but what do I know.

She is maybe 3'', possibly a little bigger. I think the webbing and sudden reclusiveness is indicating MOLT. She made a hammock a couple of days ago but has since moved into the hide. Does it look too cluttered in there for her to molt? I don't want to cause any problems if it happens, should I remove the tree?

blah. I realize this post is probably stupid and the best advice I will get is "let it be"! :bruised:

Attachments

Zoomer428

Arachnosquire
Lol the hole? I'm alittle confused the whole thing a hide and she just dug a hole? I think she will be fine their smart creatures

sbullet

Arachnoknight
IMG_4469.jpg more of a closeup of her den. A molt could not take place inside, but I don't think poecis normally do that anyway.

sbullet

Arachnoknight
The hole she has is a plastic vial you ship juvies in. But then she constructed the "wall" you see above the entrance to it. I'm just saying she wont be able to make an exit hole because the hole itself IS a plastic vial dug into the ground. Get me?

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
The spider knows what it is doing. If it feels that it has enough space to molt where is has chosen to (if that's what it doing, it very well could have simply just burrowed, spiders do that), then it has enough room. It's "exit hole" will be the way it got in. This is really no different then using say a flower pot as a hide, and none of my terrestrials have had issues molting, and then getting out of these.

sbullet

Arachnoknight
Yea I suppose so. I just know there can't be enough room inside the hole to molt in, but maybe she will prove me wrong lol. Thanks

Skeleton-Man

Arachnopeon
My 5 inch P.murinus female molted UPRIGHT in a small, tight, cramped, webbed up corner no bigger than the spider itself was and she made it out just fine! your girl should be alright!!

Shrike

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I can relate to your anxiety. My B. albopilosum has herself barricaded under a piece of cork bark at the moment. I'm expecting a molt any day now. At first I was a bit worried about the available space, but like Shell said, you have to trust that they know what they're doing. If you meddle with them too much, you risk disturbing them when they're at their most vulnerable.

sbullet

Arachnoknight
I need to post an update pic, the entrance to her vial is almost a full white-out.

Phlerr

Arachnoknight
I can relate my G Pulchripes sling molted in this little hide that I made for her when I first got her and it was hardly big enough for her to turn around in after awhile. At the time it amazed me that she could actually molt in there, so yeah I think you'll b just fine.

advan

oOOo
Staff member
I've had a lot of Poecilotheria slings and juvies come out of their hides, web a suspended hammock and molt out in the open. They know what they are doing.

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I rehoused him to take away any doubt LOL
Seems a bit drastic. If you were worried about it not having enough room to molt in the plastic vial you left as a "hide" than just remove the vial. Pokies are more than capable of building their own tube/dirt webs.

sbullet

Arachnoknight
Sorry I didn't mean literally relocating her to a different enclosure, I just removed the vial and plant, and added an absolutely perfect tube log I found. Goes into the substrate about 4 inches, and sticks out about 3. She is now at the bottom of the enclosure inside the log... Just like back home in India!