Mold growing in Red Runner Roach enclosure.

Abu Bakr

Arachnopeon
I'm using cardboard rolls and some other cardboard pieces for their hide currently and there's mold growing on it. I will be rehousing them in a new enclosure with Egg cartons but I think the problem will persist because of the moisture absorbent ability of the material itself.

I am fully aware of staking those egg cartons vertically to prevent accumulation of droppings but still, the moisture will still be absorbed by those egg cartons because of the humidity. What I would like to know is, are there any ways to make these egg cartons hydrophobic or waterproof? Is Styrofoam hides a good alternative? I came across a way to make cardboard waterproof and that is via acrylic sealer spray but is it safe/non-toxic for inverts? What about epoxy coating? Any other ideas?

Abu Bakr

Arachnopeon
No, I spray it once a week and I spray it on the opposite side, away from the cardboard hides. I guess the water just condenses close to the cardboards making a moist region.

richard22

Arachnosquire
No, I spray it once a week and I spray it on the opposite side, away from the cardboard hides. I guess the water just condenses close to the cardboards making a moist region.
Maybe increase ventilation, though it will require more frequent spraying of the moist region if you want the egg cases to have a good chance at surviving dessication, and it would lower grain mite risk.

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
I’ve always been confused by this as well. I’ve always heard that they need high temp and humidity to breed, but my egg crates get damp and fall apart really easy in the high humidity.

richard22

Arachnosquire
I’ve always been confused by this as well. I’ve always heard that they need high temp and humidity to breed, but my egg crates get damp and fall apart really easy in the high humidity.
I don’t think they need above room humidity, but the area in which they lay their eggs should be higher in moisture to keep the egg cases from dessicating. They do need high temp, so if the high temp dries out the moist side—given you give good ventilation—you’ll probably just have to drench it at first and regularly spray the top so it is uniformly moist for the eggs. If your egg cases slowly get damp then increase ventilation and only moisten a side where you could use sterilized leaf litter or maybe mulch/vermiculite on the top to retain surface moisture. Sterilization of the leaf litter is just baking at around 250F (121C); this’ll keep out invaders.