Mites..the real thing

Richard_uk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have discovered a mite infestation on my newly aquired Vaejovis spinigerus. At least I know now that the mites I had previously been worried about were just substrate mites.
They are congregated on the underside of the metasoma in the joints. All neatly piled together looking like a bunch of beads. I have quarantined the the scorpion. Hopefully, they have not had time to spread yet.
How do I destroy them? She recently gave birth and has about 30 or so young on her back. handling her is very difficult so I am not sure what to do. All help appreciated!

scorpio

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
You could always try the rotating sweater box technique.

Just keep switching the box that the scorp is in to a different one each day, while clening the used boxes for use again. Mites leave their host in order to lay eggs, so when you clean out the sweater box, the mites that leave the host are killed. This has had some decent results in reptiles, but not sure with scorps.

There is also a spray for reptiles that kills mites. Again, im not sure if it would work with scorps.

chuck

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
theres also that trick with the pile vile. put a dead cricket in the vile, line the inside with vasaline, put the top on and poke a few hole in the lid. the mites will go in for the cricket but get stuck in the vasaline. thats what i would do with mother scorp, dont want to disrupt her too much.

fatbloke

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Richard_uk just wondering do you need a DWA license to keep those Vaejovis spinigerus and if not where did you buy it from

fatbloke

Richard_uk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi fatbloke,
Vaejovis scorpions are from the family vaejovidae not bithidae so they do not require a dwa license. I had him given to me last week, I do have some babies so if I can get rid of the mites I will have plenty spare!

chau0046

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Chucks idea sounds like probably your best bet. Especialy if there all grouped up on the infected spot(s). They would be hard to remove in that number. But I`ve heard that if there`s only a couple here and there, you can use a model paintbrush , tipped with vaseline, and just dot them off when they stick to it.

Mat

Richard_uk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
physicaly removing them is difficult because of how small the scorpion is. I cannot grip her long enough withought risking damaging her. Also she is pretty nippy and when I let er go she always responds with a quick whip of her tail! So far though she has missed me.
The problem about using the bottle/vaseline method is that it only seems to attract scavenging mites. These mites are not actually living on the scorpion. Because these are actually parasitising the scorpion and feeding off its tissues will they be attracted? I suppose I have got nothing to lose anyway. I think I will give all methods a try. Rotating the box, remove what I can with a toothpick and place a mite trap in cage at night.
Unfortunatley, the problem now is that I am never going to feel comfortable keeping this scorp in close proximity to my others just in case I missed any mites. I have always been meticulously clean so I really don't want to mess up my collection.

fatbloke

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Richard_uk

if you get lucky in getting rid of the mites i would be intrested in a couple pm when the mites are gone

fatbloke

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Originally posted by scorpio

There is also a spray for reptiles that kills mites. Again, im not sure if it would work with scorps.
I believe you are talking about Provent-A-Mite. DO NOT use this with your inverts. Mites are arachnids. Tarantulas and Scorpions are arachnids. If you use that spray on your Scorpion, you will no longer have a mite problem as your Scorpion will be dead.

You may want to try hypoapsis sp. mites. They're a predatory mite and will eat the ones on your scorps and will then die off.

Scott

Telson

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Scott:
You may want to try hypoapsis sp. mites. They're a predatory mite and will eat the ones on your scorps and will then die off.

Kewl deal! This work for T's too? Where can you get these predatory mites? I don't have a might problem at the moment, but the info may come in handy some day! (Hopefully not, but better to be ready just in case!)

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Don't remember the site offhand, but if you search the forums for predatory or hypoapsis mites, you should come up with a post or two on where to get them....

Scott

pelo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
What about dabbing the infested areas with a Q-tip dabbed in rubbing alcohol.I really can't see it hurting the scorp as long as it's away from the lungs,eyes etc.Alcohol evaporates quickly.I've used it on birds and plants to rid mites,ticks and mealy worms but I've "NEVER" tried on an invert.Just a thought but like I said I've not tried on inverts but plants and birds had no ill effects from it.Killed the mites,ticks and mealyworms dead though...peace..

chuck

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
how about a quick toss into the feezer? ive never heard or tried it, but if it is able to slow down an arachnid wouldnt or shouldnt a mite fall off as it gets colder? or would it just attempt to burrow into the arachnid at hand?